How cherished is your music?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Kyle

How cherished is your music?

#1 Post by Kyle » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:08 pm

On this board do you refrain from identifying names of specific songs because you want to be the only one who has that track? or plays that track?

Do you hound other DJ's asking them for names of songs they played, artist and what album? If so, how often do you do this?

How many songs do you have that are "your babies" that you hope no one discovers?

Doug

#2 Post by Doug » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:15 pm

Because I am also a dancer, and because I love the music in the sets that I play, I want everyone to DJ with my music so that I can dance to it too.

I'll put all my babies on public display! No problem.

JesseMiner

#3 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:38 pm

I always hound other DJs when they play a great song that I haven't heard before (or one I've heard a million times but don't know the name of) and am always willing to share information about any song I play. I got into this business because I am crazy about sharing the music I love with others.

Since our tastes vary and there are way too many CDs out there to get them all and some CDs are extremely hard to find, we are guaranteed to always have a few unique gems.

Jesse

Nate Dogg

#4 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:50 pm

Doug wrote:Because I am also a dancer, and because I love the music in the sets that I play, I want everyone to DJ with my music so that I can dance to it too.

I'll put all my babies on public display! No problem.
Ditto

mousethief

#5 Post by mousethief » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:57 am

I cherish my music for insurance purposes. Other than that, what's the point?

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Roy

#6 Post by Roy » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:00 am

I willingly share the songs I play. I take it as a compliment if someone asks what I played, it shows they really liked it.

I usually don't divulge or have other DJ's listen to new finds prior to me playing them. But once played a few times I have no qualms.

kitkat

#7 Post by kitkat » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:10 am

Roy wrote:I usually don't divulge or have other DJ's listen to new finds prior to me playing them. But once played a few times I have no qualms.
Exactly. When I've searched for a song for months and finally found it (hehe...even if someone else did point me in the right direction), I won't tell anyone even in another city what the name is until I've debuted it at an event that matters to me. After that, I have to tell the world and want the song to be everywhere.

I've only done it with one song so far, though--most fantastic new finds aren't special enough for me to hold them back.

Dr. Feelgood

#8 Post by Dr. Feelgood » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:39 am

I tend to agree, I'm very generous with information about the music
that I play. If someone wants to know the particulars (artist, album)
I have no problem with that at all. I do a lot of "homework" to find what
I'm looking for, but I'm a dancer...and it's for dancers!

Besides, if someone had my entire collection they still wouldn't "sound like me". The order and timing that they would play things would still be
different than mine.

Nando

#9 Post by Nando » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:55 pm

I've gotten some great song suggestions from several DJ's on this board after listening to their sets. When I end up buying those CDs and playing them on one of my sets, I'll always acknowledge the person who turned me onto that song if anyone asks me about the song I play.

I think it's only fair to credit the person I got the tip from rather than take full credit for playing the song.

Bob the Builder

#10 Post by Bob the Builder » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:18 am

I've no problem in telling people any info they want.
A lot of the new material I play, I get from the internet or those pocky dark jazz shops. I know that 99% of the people that ask, won't go to the effort and expence of getting it. It's a lot more difficult to get your hands on rare music down here in Oz.

Brian

wheresmygravy

#11 Post by wheresmygravy » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:18 am

I even like to let one of the local Dj's use my book to Dj from. I am always interested what he can find that I might overlook because of my own bad habits. I have asked him several times "Is that one of mine?"

Dr. Feelgood

#12 Post by Dr. Feelgood » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:25 am

That's funny! The same thing happened with me here in NYC. I was over a local DJ's place having dinner and I was playing music from his collection on his stereo, and he kept saying, "I like that, who is it?" I kept having to remind him that it was HIS collection at HIS house. We couldn't stop laughing. It was like he'd just celebrated Xmas in April.

(He and I have different music tastes...he's much more into swing while I'm more into blues, so that's what I was looking for.)

Nate Dogg

#13 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:26 am

wheresmygravy wrote:I even like to let one of the local Dj's use my book to Dj from. I am always interested what he can find that I might overlook because of my own bad habits. I have asked him several times "Is that one of mine?"
Last night, one of the other Austin DJs did not realize that he was DJing after me. I let him use my book.

During his set, I was noticed how much I could tell it was him DJing and not me. Even though both of us had the exact same book that night.

And Jerry, I also had one of those "is that mine" questions for him last night.

Nathan

kitkat

#14 Post by kitkat » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:31 am

I learned a lot from borrowing BrotherSwing's book last summer when I had almost no music of my own.

I heard a lot of Lucky Millinder, good Duke & Basie tunes I'd never known the titles of, the music on the Lindy Hop Jamboree CDs, many other Jazz Archives artists, etc. It kept me from getting bored enough with my own collection (Big Band Box Set plus 3 others at most) to quit DJing altogether.

I suppose if I had the chance, I'd do the same for someone else. (Heh...except I'd hide the CD with my one prize song if I had one.)

Matthew

#15 Post by Matthew » Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:17 am

It could be fun to have a DJ book exchange. Perhaps have each of us put together one or two CDs that represent our favorites or our style, then collect all of the CDs and mail them around. Have each DJ use them for a little while (part of a set, one set, more...), post the playlist here, then send them to the next DJ. Just a random thought (and, with exam week approaching, I'm certainly not offering to organize such an exchange!).