What's the worst swing song ever?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

gatorgal

#46 Post by gatorgal » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:46 am

Platypus wrote:IF you have a "by request" night, using Taco as a threat if you don't get enough requests means that the booth gets crowded quickly!
I've actually taken to threatening them with Britney Spears if I see a lull in the dancing/requesting. I actually played "Toxic" one night and right after the few people left started dancing. Nothing like aversion therapy to get results.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

funkyfreak

#47 Post by funkyfreak » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:14 pm

The Shim Sham Song.

Just thinking about it makes me want to shoot myself.

-FF

sonofvu

#48 Post by sonofvu » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:23 pm

LazyP wrote:
Yakov wrote: but the worst song has to be "in the mood," a riff tune with an awful riff. i have an earl hines orchestra version of that song, and it klunks just as badly as the glenn miller version. that riff just happens to SUCK!
Hear, hear!
I just hate in the mood. Any version...
Have you heard the 1999 version of In the Mood from the
Airmen of Note? It's enough to drive a man to violence. I have this clunker on my laptop. I usually play "In the Mood" right before I play basketball with the fellas so that I can get in the right nasty mood. They don't like me too much because of my hack-a-anyone style of defense and my nasty disposition.

Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

sonofvu

#49 Post by sonofvu » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:24 pm

sonofvu wrote:
LazyP wrote:
Yakov wrote: but the worst song has to be "in the mood," a riff tune with an awful riff. i have an earl hines orchestra version of that song, and it klunks just as badly as the glenn miller version. that riff just happens to SUCK!
Hear, hear!
I just hate in the mood. Any version...
Have you heard the 1999 version of In the Mood from the
Airmen of Note? It's enough to drive a man to violence. I have this clunker on my laptop. I usually play "In the Mood" right before I play basketball with the fellas so that I can get in the right nasty mood. They don't like me too much because of my hack-a-anyone style of defense and my nasty disposition.

Come to think of it, I should add this to the "cds I wished I never bought" thread.

Nate Dogg

#50 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:33 pm

sonofvu wrote: I usually play "In the Mood" right before I play basketball with the fellas so that I can get in the right nasty mood. They don't like me too much because of my hack-a-anyone style of defense and my nasty disposition.

I think Taco will have a similar effect, I will try to help you out there.

sonofvu

#51 Post by sonofvu » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:36 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:
sonofvu wrote: I usually play "In the Mood" right before I play basketball with the fellas so that I can get in the right nasty mood. They don't like me too much because of my hack-a-anyone style of defense and my nasty disposition.

No, I think Taco would drive me to kill myself. Stay away from me with that stuff. :)

Nate Dogg

#52 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:43 pm

sonofvu wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:

No, I think Taco would drive me to kill myself. Stay away from me with that stuff. :)
30 second samples, for your displeasure...
http://www.emusic.com/cd/10594/10594398.html

Travis

#53 Post by Travis » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:53 pm

djstarr wrote:In the mood really does suck. There is a version by Teddy Wilson that is ok; there is another version that Travis and Soupbone play - earlier - perhaps Mound City Blue Blowers? This is tolerable, they somewhat ignore the riff.
"There's Rhythm In Harlem" by Mills Blue Rhythm Band is what I play if I ever get a request for "In The Mood".

Brenda - when are you ever going to these names straight? :)

djstarr

#54 Post by djstarr » Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:32 pm

Travis wrote:
djstarr wrote:In the mood really does suck. There is a version by Teddy Wilson that is ok; there is another version that Travis and Soupbone play - earlier - perhaps Mound City Blue Blowers? This is tolerable, they somewhat ignore the riff.
"There's Rhythm In Harlem" by Mills Blue Rhythm Band is what I play if I ever get a request for "In The Mood".

Brenda - when are you ever going to these names straight? :)
I think I got the band names right? At least I didn't attribute it to the Georgia Washboard Stompers.

So it's not called "In the Mood" --- funny since it sounds just like it. Anyone know who first arranged "In the Mood"? Teddy Wilson or whoever arranged for Glenn Miller?

Zot

#55 Post by Zot » Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:58 pm

You reminded me, DJstarr.... my favourite song to hate is "Gettin' in the Mood" by the Brian Setzer Orchestra.

Matthew

#56 Post by Matthew » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:43 pm

Check out "In the Mood" on this one (the thing's been on my sadism wish-list since September):

Magic Organ: Happy Melodies

falty411

#57 Post by falty411 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:52 pm

other great In The Mood alternatives are:

Hot and Anxious - Fletcher Henderson
Tar Paper Stomp - Wingy Manone
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Jerry_Jelinek

#58 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:32 am

djstarr wrote:...Anyone know who first arranged "In the Mood"? Teddy Wilson or whoever arranged for Glenn Miller?
The famous Glenn Miller In The Mood was arranged by Eddie Durham. Yep the same guitar legend. He was a very versatile musician.

From allmusic.com:
AllMusic.com wrote: Eddie Durham, a somewhat forgotten name in jazz history, was the first important jazz soloist to be featured on electric guitar (in 1938 with the Kansas City Five), predating Charlie Christian by a year. He also played trombone throughout most of his career and was quite significant as a swing-era arranger, too.
He started playing guitar and trombone with six siblings in the Durham Brothers band. Durham toured in some territory bands in the Midwest, was with Walter Page's Blue Devils, and then worked with Bennie Moten (1929-1933) with whom he made his recording debut.
After moving to New York in 1934, Durham worked as an arranger with Willie Bryant and then played with Jimmie Lunceford (1935-1937) and Count Basie (1937-1938).
He also contributed arrangements to Artie Shaw and Glenn Miller, in 1940 led a short-lived big band of his own and during 1941-1943 was the musical director for the International Sweethearts of Rhythm.
Durham later led an otherwise all-female group and freelanced mostly as an arranger. In 1969, he returned to active playing with Buddy Tate and in later years played with the Countsmen (with whom he recorded) and the Harlem Blues and Jazz Band.
Among Durham's most famous arrangements through the years were "Moten Swing" for Bennie Moten, Jimmy Lunceford's "Lunceford Special," several notable charts for Count Basie ("Topsy," "Swinging the Blues," and "Jumpin' at the Woodside"), and Glenn Miller's "In the Mood."

Mr Awesomer

#59 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:04 am

In The Mood, Duke Ellington and His Orchestra
In The Mood, Teddy Wilson and His Orchestra
In The Mood, Artie Shaw and His Orchestra
In The Mood, Oscar Aleman
Reuben Brown
Southern California

kitkat

#60 Post by kitkat » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:03 pm

I can't find it in the liners--only the composer. Do you know who arranged the Wilson version?