Managing files on your laptop...what do you use?

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Greg Avakian

Managing files on your laptop...what do you use?

#1 Post by Greg Avakian » Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:17 pm

I downloaded a Nero demo and it doesn't seem to allow me to search for track names.

This seems vital when you can't remember the mname of the band that does that lonesome version of 'Oh, lady be good' with the nice sax solo in the beginning ... ?-Smith incorporated???

With Musicmatch and Sonic Stage this is easy to do. I can seach by any number of criteria I enter into the data base.

Sonic stage has a nice feature that lets me open a playlist, but also keeps the list of playlists available so that if I see something I like, I can stick it in 2 or more plyalists right away. BUT Sonic stage doesn't work consistantly.

Music match has limited genres (Sonic stage allows you to make up new genres) and I can only view a playlist after going though several clicks. It's very clumbsy (sp?).

Laurie has itunes on her MAC and that has the features that Sonic Stage does...

Anyone have any thoughts on anything like itunes for a PC (ducking)?

Anything else you like?
Last edited by Greg Avakian on Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawrence

#2 Post by Lawrence » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:47 pm

Although I don't use a laptop to DJ, Nero does have several versions of player programs. You might be using one of the simpler versions like "Nero Media Player." I think that another Nero player program, "NeroMix," has that capability, assuming the data fields your old program and Nero Mix uses are compatable. It is in an external playlist manager of NeroMix. Click on the magnifying glass in the NeroMix display to activate the external playlist manager.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

morte100

Re: Managing files on your laptop...what do you use?

#3 Post by morte100 » Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:51 pm

Greg Avakian wrote:Music match has limited genres (Sonic stage allows you to make up new genres) and I can only view a playlist after going though several clicks. It's very clumsy.
I just created a slightly similar topic in DJ Skillz. Oops.

Here's a very simple (that is - no "hacking" required) fix for one of Music Match's limitations:

Search your hard drive (specifically the Music Match - Jukebox directory in program files) for the file called DbParams.ini. Currently you'll find 126 paramaters numbered 0-125. Erase all the ones you don't want. Invent new ones. Just be sure to start at 0,number sequentially, and change the "Count" accordingly.

This also works great for Situation, Preference, and Mood. Makes MM much more useable. As a return favor, I'd love it if you went to the music categorizing topic in DJ Skillz and told me what Genres and/or Situations you wind up using.

_david