Harlem Blues and Jazz Orchestra

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

KevinSchaper

Harlem Blues and Jazz Orchestra

#1 Post by KevinSchaper » Thu May 29, 2003 10:47 am

came accross the name in a couple of things I was reading online yesterday, but I'm not having much luck finding any of their music..

anybody got any of their stuff?

or heard them live?

KevinSchaper

#2 Post by KevinSchaper » Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:08 pm

this album is available here

KevinSchaper

#3 Post by KevinSchaper » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:57 pm

*bump*

That's killer that they're playing ALHC.

I've found 2 LPs since finding the CD.. I have no idea if there's anything else..

Shorty Dave

#4 Post by Shorty Dave » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:29 pm

Woo hoo!!! This is my kind of thread!

I'm pretty sure The Harlem Blues and Jazz Band has two recordings. I have the one you linked to above. It's pretty cool, with plenty of danceable tempos. The sound quality is a little off, though, so I only play it at places with really good sound systems.

Both are out of print and their other one is even harder to find (even the manager of the band doesn't have one!)

The musicians from that recording are quite impressive, including Laurel Watson, Eddie Durham, Al Casey, Eddie Chamblee, Gene Rodgers, and Johnny Blowers.

Some have since passed, but I'm still crazy about the current line-up, with includes Lloyd Mayers (who Ruth Ellington chose to replace Duke on piano in the Duke Ellington Orchestra after Duke passed away), Art Baron (Duke Ellington, others) Benny Powell (Count Basie Band, Lionel Hampton Band, etc), Johnny Blowers (everybody in the world), etc.

My favorite trio in the world, Paul Tillotson is playing the Thur of ALHC, so there's gonna be some amazing music there. I'm looking forward to ALHC this year more than any other year :)