An interesting comment on swing (dance) music ...

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Toon Town Dave

An interesting comment on swing (dance) music ...

#1 Post by Toon Town Dave » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:02 pm

I stumbled across this on Skippy Blair's web site. While she is referring to music for dancing West Coast Swing, I think it just as applicable to music for Lindy Hop.
In the meantime, until we all understand that there is music that is unacceptable - our dance is in trouble. It used to be the case that we bragged that we could dance West Coast Swing to any music that was played. That was a wonderful truth! That was also a time before the emergence of unacceptable music. The criteria for today's selection of dance music should be: Only use music that contributes to the dance. There is no virtue in playing music that creates a challenge for the dancers.
Thoughts?

julius

#2 Post by julius » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:26 pm

my thoughts would depend on the context in which she intended those words to be interpreted.

a lot of generalizations are responses to specific criticisms.

Nate Dogg

#3 Post by Nate Dogg » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:07 pm

It just shows that similar music debates exist in the WCS community.

Toon Town Dave

#4 Post by Toon Town Dave » Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:56 pm

julius wrote:my thoughts would depend on the context in which she intended those words to be interpreted.
The context was in regards to music for competition. The full text is here:
http://www.swingworld.com/articles/comp ... _music.htm

yedancer

Re: An interesting comment on swing (dance) music ...

#5 Post by yedancer » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:59 am

There is no virtue in playing music that creates a challenge for the dancers.
I'm not sure I could ever agree with this in any context.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

mousethief

#6 Post by mousethief » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:13 am

yedancer wrote:
Agree 100%

I think challenging music is a must for competition and dancing in general. Having inspiring music is even more critical.

Can't tell you how many comps I've been to or own videos for that feature music that is lackluster and dull. Sorry if you DJed one of those but some of the music plain stinks. I watched footage last night of a comp a few years ago where the music was inherently bland and unfair to anyone claiming to be a classics-based dancer. The board should be balanced for competitions with a mixed group of competitors.

On the flip side, I watched another piece where a great song was on and the dancers were barely acknowledging it.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

gatorgal

#7 Post by gatorgal » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:27 am

mousethief wrote:
yedancer wrote:
Agree 100%
I also have a problem with Skippy's statement on challenging the dancers, but admittedly I need to read the context of the conversation as well.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Nate Dogg

#8 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:24 am

The word "challenge" can mean so many things.

* Latin, disco, pop or other non-swing songs played for swing dancers.
* Jazz songs that are complex, bop songs, etc...
* Songs that are rarely played
* Very fast swing songs

I think there are times and places where such songs could fit in. But, I think there should be more justification than a DJ simply wanting to challenge the dancers.

As for the WCS competition context of the original article. That is a big issue with those guys. Not only do you have the WCS blues vs WCS pop vs the influence of "inappropriate music." There is also the situation of playing the familar vs unfamilar. For example, we can show off a lot more to songs we have danced to a hundred times. Some people simply don't want that kind of challenge. Other people think it essential.

Nathan

Toon Town Dave

#9 Post by Toon Town Dave » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:42 am

Nate Dogg wrote: * Latin, disco, pop or other non-swing songs played for swing dancers.
This is one of her points, a swing dancer can dance swing (WCS in her context but we can substitute Lindy for discussion) to anything. However using a song better suited to be a cha-cha is not the best choice in music for swing. In the case of our music, what about playing a song that's better suited to WCS or Carolina Shag at a Lindy event?

mousethief

#10 Post by mousethief » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:53 am

Toon Town Dave wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote: * Latin, disco, pop or other non-swing songs played for swing dancers.
This is one of her points, a swing dancer can dance swing (WCS in her context but we can substitute Lindy for discussion) to anything. However using a song better suited to be a cha-cha is not the best choice in music for swing. In the case of our music, what about playing a song that's better suited to WCS or Carolina Shag at a Lindy event?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*sniff*

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Nate Dogg

#11 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:54 am

Toon Town Dave wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote: I think there are times and places where such songs could fit in. But, I think there should be more justification than a DJ simply wanting to challenge the dancers.
and to elaborate further...

Yes, my opinion is that it is ok to play WCS or Carolina Shag music at Lindy events. But, when you play them and who you play them for is a judgement call. I view them as novelty songs. If I play them it all, it is usually late in the night.

I don't think you should play non-swing at Lindy comps, which is probably the closest analogy to what Skippy was writing about (I guess, however most of us have not read the whole article). Unless there is an category/song heat where the competitors expected non-swing/challenge songs.

In the past, one of the local DJs would play some really non-traditional songs, his justification was that he wanted to challenge the dancers. I always thought that was a weak reason. If you are going to challenge, the song should fit for other reasons. Otherwise, the DJ may come across as being too self endulgent.

Most of the time, when I play WCS music at a Lindy Event, it is at the end of the night and the dancers are more likely to enjoy playing around with other music when it gets close to tear down time.
Last edited by Nate Dogg on Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nate Dogg

#12 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:58 am

mousethief wrote:
Toon Town Dave wrote:

*sniff*

Kalman
Kalman, you need help.

mousethief

#13 Post by mousethief » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:02 am

I need an afternoon at the Yellow Rose and some single barrel Jack, jack.

Kalman

Swifty

#14 Post by Swifty » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:39 am

mousethief wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*sniff*

Kalman

mousethief

#15 Post by mousethief » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:56 am

Swifty wrote:
mousethief wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*sniff*

Kalman

I took the Usual Suspects tag for the very reason that Kujan is outwitted and because the term "Usual Suspects" kept coming up on this board. If you think it's misplaced given my post, you may be right but I'll probably change it in a week or so anyway.

Kalman