DJing at swing exchanges

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Ron

DJing at swing exchanges

#1 Post by Ron » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:03 pm

I figured I'd start a new thread on this. What do you think about djing at swing exchanges? Do you like it when the exchange organizer takes all comers, and each dj gets a single 1hr slot, or do you like a more exclusive exchange, with only 3 or 4 well-known djs, and maybe 3-4 local djs? (Denver did this recently, I liked that format.)

How about payment? I know some djs won't go unless they get paid transportation costs and get free entrance to all events. I think you should get free entrance to all events, but I know the organizer of our upcoming San Diego exchange isn't even offering that. Does that affect whether you go to an exchange or not?

By the way, you all should come to the San Diego exchange May 23 to May 26th. Even if you don't get free entrance!http://lindydreams.com/prom.shtml

Mr Awesomer

#2 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:33 pm

I'm glad to see someone calling them "swing exchanges," cause that's what most of them are now (not that there is anything wrong with that.)

In regards to the questions at hand, when I scheduled DJ's for the "LA/OC Lindy Binge" I pretty much took all comers, provided they didn't totally suck. Each DJ (with few exceptions) got a 1 hour slot some time during the weekend. Though it worked out nicely, I'm thinking of going more "exclusive" (though this is a joke of a term in regards to swing scenes) next year... but we'll see when the time comes.

In terms of payment, I personally expect nothing. If they can swing free entry, cool. If they can swing some cash to cover some of my costs, hey, even cooler. But I firmly believe in maintaining a non-profit atmosphere around exchanges which means lots of people volunteering to do lots of things. If you're looking to make some money, or to getting your costs covered to attend an event, expect it from the big workshop weekends and the major contest weekends. If one of those event coordinators is making some dough, I expect to see some of it (mainly just for the principle of it.)
Reuben Brown
Southern California

yedancer

#3 Post by yedancer » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:56 pm

As a patron of an exchange, I would rather have a more "exclusive" DJ lineup, so that I know I'm getting my money's worth while dancing. As a DJ, I would rather have "all comers." That way, I can DJ. :roll:
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Lawrence

#4 Post by Lawrence » Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:16 pm

yedancer wrote:As a patron of an exchange, I would rather have a more "exclusive" DJ lineup, so that I know I'm getting my money's worth while dancing. As a DJ, I would rather have "all comers." That way, I can DJ. :roll:
Well put. :)

I've wrongly copped an attitude in the past :oops: , but I try to remind myself of why I started DJing, in the first place: to provide good music for me and everyone else to dance to (and share my enthusiasm for the music). If the DJing is good, and I'm dancing like a madman, I won't mind not getting my shot at "fame." :roll: But I will feel a bit of umbridge if I am squeezed out of the schedule in favor of really bad music, in the "What were you thinking?" vein.

I agree with Reuben completely on payment for Exchanges: keep the low-budget spirit alive to keep costs down. However, comping admission does not cost the Exchange much of anything, so I insist on offering that when I'm part of the planning the Austin Exchanges.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Greg Avakian

#5 Post by Greg Avakian » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:11 pm

yedancer wrote:As a patron of an exchange, I would rather have a more "exclusive" DJ lineup, so that I know I'm getting my money's worth while dancing. As a DJ, I would rather have "all comers." That way, I can DJ. :roll:
Hahaha! That's great...

I go either way...I can see both sides.

I think it depends on how many events a person wants to do. How many weekends are you away this month? Are you flying or are you driving 6 hours?

Whether or not the event is for profit makes a big difference too.

I do like to get paid something, and I use that as one criteria to decide whether or not to go to an event. But if I really wanted to do an event, I wouldn't let (no) money stop me from going.

Ron

#6 Post by Ron » Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:41 am

I was remembering our conversation on getting paid in Austin, Greg, when I started this thread. I remember you talking about an exchange that you wouldn't go to because they didn't offer to pay... But I understand what you mean when you say if you really wanted to go, you'd go anyway.

Do you find a lot of events pay you to come and DJ?

Nate Dogg

#7 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:39 am

I agree that DJs should be comped.

However, there are situations that are borderline. A lot of times, quality DJs show up at the Exchange and they end up being put on the schedule at the last minute. In this case, do the organizers refund their registration?

My though is that if a DJ gets added after the Exchange has started, they should not expect to have their admission refunded. If they want to DJ an event they otherwise would not have been able to, that is probably enough.

A lot of non-marquee name DJs need the experience to build their resume, prove themselves, show they can keep a national audience happy. So, DJing an Exchange for free is not necessarily a losing proposition for them.

Mr Awesomer

#8 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:51 am

Nate Dogg wrote:build their resume
Ugg.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

smunky

#9 Post by smunky » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:09 pm

we had a number of dj's cop attitudes when we invited them to stlbx last year...wanting their flights paid for, lodging, etc, and then we had confusion about the unknown dj's needing to submit a playlist (not for their set, but to give us an idea of their taste), and some expereinced dj's thought they would have to as well, and took umbrage at it. the attitude of the "pay me, fly me, or i won't come" made me lose a lot of respect for a couple of people, and the chaos, though understandable, could have been avoided if the chaos-ites had simply asked a few questions instead of spazzing all over the web.

we also haed some great dj's who were no trouble at all and inspired me to do a better job and dig up some new music, esp. ron and bob bills.

to me it is gravy if i get comped or paid or anything, but i would not ask for it up front as a requirement to attend.

personally, i am hoping we get a few dj's here at cheap thrills this weekend to spell me from a few of my slots so i can dance more!

CafeSavoy

#10 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:55 pm

i think the fact that you guys were only comping djs for the dance they dj'ed and not the whole weekend was also a factor.

smunky

#11 Post by smunky » Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:51 pm

yeah, it's hard to decipher the signal from the noise and know who was told what. i do know we wanted to let those who were competent dj's, and were going to come to the event anyway, dj before those who wanted any form of compensation before agreeing to attend.

is that a bad way to do things? i don't know.

smunky

#12 Post by smunky » Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:04 pm

p.s. last year at stlbx we were worried about breaking even on our first time event, but due to the success of last year, and suggestions received, this time we will be comping dj's for the whole event.

main_stem

#13 Post by main_stem » Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:38 pm

I would say if you specifically invite a DJ and then use their name for promotion then the DJ should be compensated. Weather that's flying them out or cash or bunches of bananna's is up to the parties involved.

DJ's should be allowed into the venue they are spinning, regardless of name recognition. The peopel running the exchanges up here make sure that the DJ's get into all the events that are organized outside our regular venues free. It's been our little way of saying thanks for helping out.

-Kevin
Seattle
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Ron

#14 Post by Ron » Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:49 pm

I think Melissa isn't planning on letting DJs get in free for the upcoming San Diego exchange because she figures she won't have a hard time getting enough people to come and DJ anyway, and she's not advertising any particular djs, and this is how she's done past events and they've worked fine. I wish she'd reconsider. A dj has to bring all their CDs, doesn't get to dance as much, has to show up at particular times, take abuse on forums, etc. Waiving the event fee seems like a reasonable exchange. Sure, I enjoy djing, but there are definite downsides, too, and $$ helps make up for the downsides.

I think its pretty standard to comp the DJs the entire exchange, isn't it? I'm glad STBLX is going to do so. STBLX was a blast last year, I plan on coming back again this year!

Ron

#15 Post by Ron » Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:51 pm

main_stem wrote:I would say if you specifically invite a DJ and then use their name for promotion then the DJ should be compensated.
Kevin, do you mean get paid, or just get the exchange fee/fees waived?