Chronological Compilations

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

falty411

Chronological Compilations

#1 Post by falty411 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:41 pm

I was reading the liner notes of Al Cooper's Chrono CD and at the end it said that other tracks were going to be released as part of a Compilation the Chronological is going to put out.

Anybody own these? Are they any good?
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

mousethief

#2 Post by mousethief » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:17 pm

It just says a "sampler" - very aggrivating. I was having a great day 'til you pointed that one out Falty...

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

AlekseyKosygin
Location: Jersey, Home of the Lion, the Lamb and the Brute...

#3 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:18 pm

I wouldn't put any salt in what liner notes for CLASSICS say...at least for upcoming releases...I have lots of CD's by them where they say "To Be Continued" and the next release never surfaced...Hell I think they say "To Be Continued" even when there is no further existing material for that artist...About compilations I'm pretty sure that all of the Sultans sessions are on that CD...I can double check for ya Rutgers Institute of Jazz Studies, they would prolly know...I'd like to know myself...the Sultans were one of the best Newark N.J. swing bands around, I have info on their arch rivals the Dictators here:

http://www.rhythmandbugs.com/about

Bob the Builder

Re: Chronological Compilations

#4 Post by Bob the Builder » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:06 pm

falty411 wrote:I was reading the liner notes of Al Cooper's Chrono CD and at the end it said that other tracks were going to be released as part of a Compilation the Chronological is going to put out.
Yes, I saw that too, and had a look around for they album they were talking about but did not find it.
One thing I've notticed about the Chronological label, is that the sound quality is really bad on some of the tracks in comparision to other CD lables, which is a pitty as I find the Chronological label a great way of buying material from one artist of set periods.

Brian

Nando

#5 Post by Nando » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:48 pm

Well, if you go by Allmusic, Cooper was with the Sultans till 46. But of course AllMusic may be off or there just may not be any other recordings past 41?

CafeSavoy

#6 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:49 am

The cd is listed on allmusic. I thought i had posted the link. But if you search for the song "Fish For Supper", you'll find it. There are only four Sultan Savoy tracks on the 2-disc set.

falty411

#7 Post by falty411 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:12 pm

Thanks Rayned!!!

wow it looks like it could be really great.

I dont quite understand how its a 2-Disc set with over 70 tracks. It must be a three disc.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

AlekseyKosygin
Location: Jersey, Home of the Lion, the Lamb and the Brute...

#8 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:19 pm

Ok I stand corrected...and I'm glad for it...this comp looks rad...

Amazon has these for 25 bux NEW thru third party venders...

CafeSavoy

#9 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:23 am

falty411 wrote:Thanks Rayned!!!

I dont quite understand how its a 2-Disc set with over 70 tracks. It must be a three disc.
i can check the number of discs. I think it includes a bonus disc of some other kind of errata.

djstarr

#10 Post by djstarr » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:21 pm

AlekseyKosygin wrote:Ok I stand corrected...and I'm glad for it...this comp looks rad...

Amazon has these for 25 bux NEW thru third party venders...
Can you post a link for it pretty please? I couldn't find it on amazon.

KevinSchaper

#11 Post by KevinSchaper » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:28 pm

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... pzefyk1gfj

It's called Complementary Tracks..

and I only found it cuz Rayned was showing off with a track from it in the file naming thread. :)

It's really good.

djstarr

#12 Post by djstarr » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:48 pm

oh the hivemind at it's finest. Thanks Kevin -- I just snagged myself the new copy for $25 bucks --- it has Omer Simeon on it - Ham Carson studied with him so I'm curious to listen to him.

Shorty Dave

#13 Post by Shorty Dave » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:55 pm

Ha ha...slight digression here, but one thing I never got: people online and in person *always* refer to them as "Chronological". Isn't it "Chronogical"? Or is that simply the French/Spanish/something word for "Chronological" and that's why people call it that...

(I'm tired)

GemZombie

#14 Post by GemZombie » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:39 am

Shorty Dave wrote:Ha ha...slight digression here, but one thing I never got: people online and in person *always* refer to them as "Chronological". Isn't it "Chronogical"? Or is that simply the French/Spanish/something word for "Chronological" and that's why people call it that...

(I'm tired)
It's Chronological, french people can't spell ;)

Perhaps the other word you're looking for is Chronical?

djstarr

#15 Post by djstarr » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:30 pm

falty411 wrote:Thanks Rayned!!!

Yep, 3 discs it is. Absolutely worth getting, I'm only half way through one disc, but there are 3 songs recorded in Tokyo in 1934; all Japanese sidemen backing Midge Williams - never heard of her, but she's got a nice voice and she sings St. Louis Blues and Dinah in Japanese - gotta love it!

The Fletcher Henderson stuff is killer too. And it's got Don Redman, Al Cooper and a bunch of folks I've never heard of. Definitely the most esoteric CDs I own now.