71%
Only if I want to hear "Jump, Jive and Wail"
4%
Never, I'd rather play Eva Cassidy's "Wade in the Water"
25%

Total votes: 24

Nate Dogg

#31 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:36 pm

julius wrote:Nobody in Austin can take the Heat, huh?
Clears the floor.

That is why George has an alter ego that DJs in Houston :)

Larry

#32 Post by Larry » Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:13 pm

Louis Prima - Capitol Collectors Series is a must have for any swing DJ. (Though I confess this is my only Louis Prima album). He sets the early standard for jump swing - though much of the album is more 'play' than 'jump'. Anyone have a better genre label for this collection?

The songs are short (except for Gigolo), lively, entertaining and very dancable for newbies.

And there's the jibe... I tend to play for non-newbies and so it doesn't hit my play list too often. I usually included a Louis Prima song EVERY night on a weekend club gig in New York.

My favorites for play are:

Just a Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody
Banana Split for My Baby
Lip
Whistle Stop
5 Months, 2 Weeks, 2 Days
Beep! Beep!
Oh Marie
Buona Sera

And about once a year I play Jump, Jive, An' Wail. Hey, don't forget your "roots". A lot of his songs are on the cheesy side, but it is what the crowd wants. Swing music is known for being fun, and not just great jazz. And don't forget he WROTE Sing Sing Sing, which may suck suck suck to some, but is an anthem and swing standard.

Greg Avakian

#33 Post by Greg Avakian » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:32 pm

kbuxton wrote:I don't like his voice. It grates very quickly. I DO like his version of One Mint Julep however though. *shrug*
I remember when you played One mint julep at the Portland East/West DJ summit. I bought it and I still play it and people still ask me about it.

Thanks Kristin!

wheresmygravy

#34 Post by wheresmygravy » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:36 am

Larry wrote:.....And don't forget he WROTE Sing Sing Sing, which may suck suck suck to some, but is an anthem and swing standard.
When the song is requested, his is the version I play.

JesseMiner

#35 Post by JesseMiner » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:03 am

Greg Avakian wrote:
kbuxton wrote:I don't like his voice. It grates very quickly. I DO like his version of One Mint Julep however though. *shrug*
I remember when you played One mint julep at the Portland East/West DJ summit. I bought it and I still play it and people still ask me about it.
Nice version, and I have that CD in my collection somewhere. I'll have to dig it out and spin it! :)

Thanks Greg and Kristin!

Jesse