Song Database

How does this discussion board work?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Nate Dogg

#1 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:11 pm

Roy wrote:I've heard Jessie DJ a several times in the past few weeks and Jessie does not sound like Jessie anymore so it would be hard to copy someone who does not sound like his old self.

Another point, a few years back many dj's were trying to emulate Paul Overton, I think many DJ's still do and just don't know it. Look at his 25 reccomended CD list. It came out well before Jessie ever got popular many of those CD's are still staples in many new DJ's 1st 100 purchased CD's.
Which remind me. This is getting off topic, but this thread has been pretty much off topic for most of the time anyway.

The old YahooGroup version of this list had a database made up of DJs top ten songs or something to that effect. It never got fully developed and we moved on from there to this web based forum.

But, I think the concept would be great. If we could have a database with a unique record for every recording (songs, not albums). The DJs could then add their two cents about whether they like it or not, etc...

For example, one record would be:
"Massachusetts - Maxines Sullivan - A Tribute to Andy Razaf"
Related comments from each DJ would be linked somehow.
DJ A - Great song from the old days
DJ B - Overplayed and representing of everything wrong with so-called Lindy hop music these days.

Threads serve this purpose somewhat. But, I am thinking about a master database of all the songs, that allow all the DJs to contribute their opinions.

Several lists do exist (Paul Overton, Ron Bloom, Lawrence Page, Jive Junction), but they represent the opinion of the reviewer only, not mulitple DJs with opposing viewpoints.

Nathan

kitkat

#2 Post by kitkat » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:07 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:Threads serve this purpose somewhat. But, I am thinking about a master database of all the songs, that allow all the DJs to contribute their opinions.
In other words, Allmusic.org without outsider opinions?

falty411

#3 Post by falty411 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:09 pm

Nate, Jivejunction's list has at least 3 or 4 different reviewers whom have different tastes, just so you know.

Back to the main point i was trying to make that got sidetracked by Jesse talk (we all know cause he is so damn cute).

The point was if we all "expand our tastes" I dont think that would be for the best. I like that there are people who are very into one particular genre, weather it be trad jazz, swing, smooth, soul, modern etc and even if i dont like the music at all.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Nate Dogg

#4 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:36 am

falty411 wrote:Nate, Jivejunction's list has at least 3 or 4 different reviewers whom have different tastes, just so you know.
No need to be defensive.

I realize that there are multiple reviewers on Jive Junction, I have been through the site numerous times.

My concept calls for everybody who wants to review a song to be able to, one track could have 50 reviews. Different model. More like rate the song with a short blurb than a full album review.

Pretty hard to actually put in place, just a pipe dream of mine really.

Nathan

Nathan

funkyfreak

#5 Post by funkyfreak » Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:40 am

Not really, just set up a phpBB Photo Gallery:

Members can submit photos of the CD cover, and comments are postable from everyone.

-FF

sonofvu

#6 Post by sonofvu » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:54 am

I would like to thank the academy...

My concept calls for everybody who wants to review a song to be able to, one track could have 50 reviews. Different model. More like rate the song with a short blurb than a full album review.
Hey Nathan, I think this is the idea that amazon had when they implemented their usre review option. As far as I can see the reviews are usually lame. Conceptually I think it is a great idea, I just think amazon is not the format for it. Maybe this board is a better format fo it.

Nate Dogg

#7 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:37 am

sonofvu wrote:I would like to thank the academy...

Hey Nathan, I think this is the idea that amazon had when they implemented their usre review option. As far as I can see the reviews are usually lame. Conceptually I think it is a great idea, I just think amazon is not the format for it. Maybe this board is a better format fo it.
Yeah, I think it should be track based and limited to the registered users of the site, since songs are often found on multiple CDs.

I like what Jared said about the photo option, maybe that will work. Save the basic text associated with the song as a jpeg or gif. We could have all the song basics where the pictures is supposed to go (Artist, title, length, albums it appears on, BPM, side players if it is relevant). From there, people can just review away.

I also think commentary on how the song is recieved by dancers is helpful. Not merely does the reviewer like the particular song, but how does it go over when you play it. Ron Bloom does a little of that on his review site and I really like that aspect.

But, again, this is just a dream of mine. Thanks for playing along. A moderator will probably tell me to move it another thread soon. Perhaps I should do that.

Nathan

Ron

#8 Post by Ron » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:02 pm

The biggest problem will be that people will be too lazy to contribute reviews. In fact, I'm getting too lazy to do reviews recently, my featured CD, campus five, still states its for a couple months ago. The new featured CD, when I get around to it, will be the new Stompy Jones (Swing Session) CD which is pretty good.

This has got to be the most random thread on this board so far. What was the original topic again?

JesseMiner

#9 Post by JesseMiner » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:25 pm

I've split this topic off from the "The stuff you don't like" thread, as it probably deserves its own discussion, not being burried in the middle of another one.

Jesse Miner
SwingDJs Moderator

CafeSavoy

#10 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:39 pm

Roy wrote:Another point, a few years back many dj's were trying to emulate Paul Overton, I think many DJ's still do and just don't know it. Look at his 25 reccomended CD list. It came out well before Jessie ever got popular many of those CD's are still staples in many new DJ's 1st 100 purchased CD's.
I support the idea of developing an album database with comments.
Roy's observation about the overlap in many new djs collections raises
an interesting question. Why is the overlap a bad thing? After all lindy
hop is a historical dance with historical music. As such there has to be
some common core of music that everyone should have. And even after
the swing era, jazz continued on. So unless you are totally going to ignore
most of the great music, there will always be some overlap.

There was an interesting interview on the radio once with some of the
young jazz turks and the question of innovation and creativity arose.
They said that everyone started by listening to others, but because you
are an individual you will make choices between what you know and
will end up with your own sound. They also thought that it was those
who worried the most about not sounding like others who ended up
sounding less individual.

Nate Dogg

#11 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:08 pm

JesseMiner wrote:I've split this topic off from the "The stuff you don't like" thread, as it probably deserves its own discussion, not being burried in the middle of another one.

Jesse Miner
SwingDJs Moderator
Thanks

Toon Town Dave

#12 Post by Toon Town Dave » Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:03 am

This is one something like one of the features I thought would be a benefit of moving to the web format. I agree that it will probably be difficult to get review contributions. There is also little need to duplicate what already exists on jivejunction.

For this board, I would envision a slightly different approach. Ignoring the technical aspects for a moment, I would design something as follows:

- An album review section of the site where any "member" can contribute a review for a new album.

- Members can submit additional reviews for existing albums at their leisure.

- Each album or review is attached to a discussion thread where members can add comments or discussion on the album or the review.

- I see the reviews as similar to JJ or Ron's site. But I'd also like to see a larger variety of reviewers (this may be not happen in practice).

I believe this is a good fit for the site since there are already a few discussions of albums or artists which I find to be the most useful information on the forum. An album review just creates a nice entry point to that kind of discussion.

That said, there are some technical issues and such ... basically designing the function of it that needs to be done. I'm happy to help out when I have some time but at the moment work (software) is keeping me extermely busy and I just don't have the time for extracurricular projects at the moment.

Nate Dogg

#13 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:06 am

Jesse, Rayned, Reuben:

I am also willing to help out with this. When you guys get time to actually make something similar to this a reality, let me know.

I know you guys are busy right now.

Nathan

kitkat

#14 Post by kitkat » Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:14 pm

I thought Nate suggested a song review database, not an album review database. Even if it were organized by album...I think song reviews would be a lot more helpful considering we've already got a lot of album reviews out there.