Full name

How does this discussion board work?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Ron

Full name

#1 Post by Ron » Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:05 pm

So full names aren't an option in the profile, and the memberlist? I think I remember reading that you tried having full names at first, but it bombed.

JesseMiner

#2 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:35 pm

I am waiting until we decide that we want to use this discussion board moving forward before putting a lot of time and energy into modifications such as adding a Real Name field.

Jesse

Greg Avakian

#3 Post by Greg Avakian » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:16 pm

I'd like to see real names added as well as other info like location and contact info. On a board like this, I think anonymous posting should be discouraged.

yedancer

#4 Post by yedancer » Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:50 pm

I think more people should add their picture as their avatar.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

JesseMiner

#5 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:34 am

The "Real Name" field is in the profile now and shows up next to each user's posts. Users are strongly encouraged to fill this out as well as their location and urged to use a personal photo as their avatar. This is spelled out near the beginning of the registration agreement:
Since this board is a close-knit personal community of DJs, we do request that you include all of your personal information, most importantly your real name and location, and if you decide to use an avatar, please use an identifiable photo of yourself.
And I do send out occasional email reminders to those who have yet to fill out this information. In fact back in May, this email was sent to every SwingDJs user:
Please complete your profile

I've made a bunch of enhancements to the SwingDJs discussion board and will soon post an entire list of them. For now, I do have a request to make. The "Real Name" field in your profile is working properly, and I would greatly appreciate it if you would enter your full name and full location into your profile (ex. "Jesse Miner", "San Francisco, CA"). Also, it would be great if you would add an avatar of yourself as well.

These three pieces of information will be displayed next to each post you make, making a stronger connection between you and your posts. I hope that this will help us to get to know each other better, putting names/faces to our posts.

This information will only be viewable to members of our community. If an unregistered user is browsing our board, they will only see your username next to each post, no avatar, real name or location. Profiles and the memberlist are only accessible by registered members as well. We can be quite open on this board without feeling that all of our personal information is available to just anyone.

Also for those of you who have expressed issues with the bandwidth that it takes to display avatars, you now have the preference in your profile to turn off viewing avatars.

I'm excited to see this community growing.

Thank you.

Jesse
One of my goals here is to completely discourage anonymous posting as this is a fairly personal community.

I realize that I have added many features to this website since its inception, and it's about time that I post something about all of the additions I have made. I will try and do that soon.

Jesse