I like both equally
5%
I don't care for either
No votes

Total votes: 38

JesseMiner

What do you think?

#1 Post by JesseMiner » Mon Nov 18, 2002 6:36 pm

Throughout the testing process, please use this informal poll to give us a rough idea of your opinion of the proposed web-based discussion board for SwingDJs. Once the testing process is over, we will have a formal poll on the official SwingDJs email list.

Jesse
Last edited by JesseMiner on Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Awesomer

#2 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:22 pm

This kicks mucho ass!
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Larry

#3 Post by Larry » Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:47 pm

Excellent format. Nice features. I'll be more active here...

GemZombie

#4 Post by GemZombie » Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:48 pm

I've already voiced my opinion as such before, but I definitely prefer this. I see people are putting their faces by their avatars... *finding picture*

lindyholic

#5 Post by lindyholic » Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:53 pm

I agree, this makes things much simpler and easy to use and we also would not have to worry about receiving 50 messages a day in our mail box. :).

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

Jake

test results

#6 Post by Jake » Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:06 pm

I think the poll might wind up being skewed, since a lot of the people who prefer the email list won't even come here in the first place...

That said, I think this site is way cool and much easier to deal with than the email list. I use filtering to manage all those (often useless) messages, but even so it's gotten to where useful information is often hard to find and I wind up ignoring it...

Thanks to the guys who put their time in to make this happen...

Kyle

#7 Post by Kyle » Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:09 pm

yup yup

much better of a format.

GemZombie

#8 Post by GemZombie » Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:17 pm

So Jesse,
Can ya change my Descriptor to "Jesse In SLO" ?

Thanks

PhilShapiro

#9 Post by PhilShapiro » Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:17 pm

Well, my vote is (still) for keeping the email format. But I'm going to give it a try and keep an open mind.

In my experience, web-based forums seem to encourage a lot more fluff than email. Maybe it's because it seems like it's easier to skip messages on a web forum, so why not just post whatever's on your mind.

I still think the best solution would give us both web and email, so anyone could choose. This is pretty much what we already have on yahoogroups, except yahoo has those annoying interstitial ads.

Ron

#10 Post by Ron » Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:42 pm

I dunno, I think I'm coming around to preferring a forum, earlier I expressed a preference to keep the mail list. One obvious advantage is that you can find old threads easily. For example, a Christmas swing thread could be brought back to life every year.

Another one is that my inbox won't get filled with useless banter. The useless banter may still be there, but its easy to skim over. I guess its easy to skim and hit delete in email, too, but somehow, it seems easier in a forum. I won't have to actively delete every one of Cooper's posts. By the way, will he still be banned? I would be content if he were still banned.

I like and use forums a lot, too. And this particular forum format seems good.

The advantage of an email list is that its hassle-free-- you don't have to go anywhere to look at the new messages, they come to you. With a list that is pretty quiet, it seems like an email format is good. But when the list is flooding with messages, as it has been recently, it would be nice a forum instead.

I also like that this is not associated with Jive Junction.

Timeliness is also an advantage to an email list, but there isn't much in swing djing that is time critical. So I don't get to hear what everyone's favorite Paper Moon version is for a few days until I next read the forum, well, that's OK.

Mr Awesomer

#11 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:05 pm

Ron wrote: I also like that this is not associated with Jive Junction.
So do I.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

JesseMiner

Re: test results

#12 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:14 pm

Jake wrote:I think the poll might wind up being skewed, since a lot of the people who prefer the email list won't even come here in the first place...
That's why this is only an informal poll to just to get a rough idea of the feelings of those who have taken the time to check out this discussion board.

Of course in all fairness, we will have a poll on the yahoogroups list after we've tested this for a while to get input from everyone there before making any final decisions.

Great comments so far from everyone. Keep 'em coming!

Jesse

wheato

#13 Post by wheato » Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:42 pm

This works for me.

Jim W

Toon Town Dave

#14 Post by Toon Town Dave » Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:48 pm

I like it this too. Another advantage is the ability to include html in posts. While the current e-mail list can allow HTML, I prefer to leave it on the web where it belongs rather than e-mail. The extra formatting and such would be good for lists and such.

kbuxton

#15 Post by kbuxton » Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:28 pm

I'm still more of an email person because with the current setup I can go in and read everything once but go back and search for it on the website if I want to.

The thing I dislike about a lot of forums is that I have to go back and try to figure out how far along in a thread I've already read and end up re-reading portions of it trying to figure that part out. The link to show what's new since I last visited may solve this problem, but I'd prefer to have some way to know what I've actually seen (ie, read/unread) as opposed to just what's absolutely the newest. (if that makes any sense)