PC Problem - I Can't Open My Netscape Mail Box

How does this discussion board work?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

lipi

#16 Post by lipi » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:25 pm

svchost is a generic os process that loads dll's for system services. having many of them is quite normal. you probably have a lot of system services starting up (do you have lots of junk in the bottom right of the taskbar?).

it could also be a sign of a virus, though. the welchia worm masqueraded as svchost.exe, and i think there were some others, too.

it's definitely worth making sure you have the latest norton virus updates and scanning. any of the windows fiends here know of a freeware virus scanner? i feel like there were some, but i can only find specific ones (blaster worm cleaner, e.g.) right now.

i also remember some worm that listed svchost with an umlaut on the o, god knows why.

Eyeball

#17 Post by Eyeball » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:55 pm

lipi wrote:svchost is a generic os process that loads dll's for system services. having many of them is quite normal. you probably have a lot of system services starting up (do you have lots of junk in the bottom right of the taskbar?).

it could also be a sign of a virus, though. the welchia worm masqueraded as svchost.exe, and i think there were some others, too.

it's definitely worth making sure you have the latest norton virus updates and scanning. any of the windows fiends here know of a freeware virus scanner? i feel like there were some, but i can only find specific ones (blaster worm cleaner, e.g.) right now.

i also remember some worm that listed svchost with an umlaut on the o, god knows why.
my start up takes like 3 minutes from beginning to completion.

I really need to inactivate some of those things.

i have a few things on the task bar bottom right...nothing heavy duty.

I will try and see if I can get Trendmicro to function again.

Still no access to my NS mail.
Will big bands ever come back?

Eyeball

#18 Post by Eyeball » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:57 pm

I'm stymied. No way in. Losing hope. Send help. Will trade Jazz records for in house successful recovery of mail and mail system.

Mr Awesomer

#19 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:32 pm

Eyeball wrote:Where are Reuben and Jesse from SLO when you need them? Those guys are computer gods.
Contrary to popular belief I'm NOT in IT, nor am I all that great with computer related things... I'm above average at best.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Toon Town Dave

#20 Post by Toon Town Dave » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:15 pm

But you're in HR. Isn't HR smarter than IT? :P

Mr Awesomer

#21 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:25 pm

Toon Town Dave wrote:But you're in HR. Isn't HR smarter than IT? :P
Yes... cause we tell everyone what to do! haha
Reuben Brown
Southern California

tornredcarpet

#22 Post by tornredcarpet » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:29 pm

Anyone tell you to tinker around with start->run->msconfig->startup tab yet?
Jesse (Los Angeles, CA/Hampton Roads, VA)

Eyeball

#23 Post by Eyeball » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:59 am

tornredcarpet wrote:Anyone tell you to tinker around with start->run->msconfig->startup tab yet?
No. Clue me in, if you please. I needs my mails.

lipi

#24 Post by lipi » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:03 pm

Eyeball wrote:
tornredcarpet wrote:Anyone tell you to tinker around with start->run->msconfig->startup tab yet?
just run the utility suggested (msconfig) and check the startup tab. it will list a bunch of programs that start on system boot. disable anything you think you don't need. (or, disable all of them and check whether netscape mail works again. if so, start turning them back on again until you find the culprit.) in particular, make sure there's no rapidshare stuff being run on start-up.

you can do the same thing with the services in the services tab, but those are a little more obscure in their naming and their functions.

you have to reboot after each change to have it take effect.

Eyeball

#25 Post by Eyeball » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:34 pm

Oh, man.....why would Rapidshare cause a problem? I installed it, then uninstalled it.

I will try and do what you suggest.

THanks.

Jesse - I will still be in touch. Not feeling well today. Maybe I will all you later.

John

Eyeball

#26 Post by Eyeball » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:53 pm

lipi wrote:
Eyeball wrote:
just run the utility suggested (msconfig) and check the startup tab. it will list a bunch of programs that start on system boot. disable anything you think you don't need. (or, disable all of them and check whether netscape mail works again. if so, start turning them back on again until you find the culprit.) in particular, make sure there's no rapidshare stuff being run on start-up.

you can do the same thing with the services in the services tab, but those are a little more obscure in their naming and their functions.

you have to reboot after each change to have it take effect.
I ran msconfig and disabled everything from the get go. Rebooted and it still did not work. No access to NS mail. I re-enabled everything, rebooted and here I am.

Hmmmmmm...what I did not do was try NS from the start up menu. I only tried it from the desktop icon shortcut.

Make any difference?

THanks to all for your help. Gotta get thoi fixed.

lipi

#27 Post by lipi » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:11 pm

Eyeball wrote: Hmmmmmm...what I did not do was try NS from the start up menu. I only tried it from the desktop icon shortcut.

Make any difference?
it's unlikely to make any difference. the two shortcuts are likely pointing to the same executable and passing it the same options (likely: none).

you can check. right click the one on the desktop -> properties and look at what the "target" field says. then right click the one in the start menu -> properties, and look at the same field. if they're the same, then it won't matter. if they're different, then something funny is going on, and there could be a difference.
Oh, man.....why would Rapidshare cause a problem? I installed it, then uninstalled it.
many programs don't uninstall cleanly and leave all sorts of gunk around. i don't know anything about rapidshare, but it sounds sketchy enough that i wouldn't be surprised to see it leave all sorts of things all over the place. i guess you didn't see anything in the start-up list, so no matter.

have you tried re-installing netscape yet? (after backing up your mail folders.)

Eyeball

#28 Post by Eyeball » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:32 pm

lipi wrote:
Eyeball wrote: Hmmmmmm...what I did not do was try NS from the start up menu. I only tried it from the desktop icon shortcut.

Make any difference?
it's unlikely to make any difference. the two shortcuts are likely pointing to the same executable and passing it the same options (likely: none).

you can check. right click the one on the desktop -> properties and look at what the "target" field says. then right click the one in the start menu -> properties, and look at the same field. if they're the same, then it won't matter. if they're different, then something funny is going on, and there could be a difference.
many programs don't uninstall cleanly and leave all sorts of gunk around. i don't know anything about rapidshare, but it sounds sketchy enough that i wouldn't be surprised to see it leave all sorts of things all over the place. i guess you didn't see anything in the start-up list, so no matter.

have you tried re-installing netscape yet? (after backing up your mail folders.)
I have my mail backed up as of a couple months ago, but it is not back up in a mail type format.

Also - if I cant get to my mail now, how can I back it up?

OK - start menus and icon are both going to be no go's.

I didnt see anything in the in start up listings that looked like a rapidshare program. they were all windows programs except for a couple thing that i recognized.

I have not tried re-installing NS yewt. Jesse in SLO suggested that I wait until we tried a remote access thing together.

I will try the "target" thing later, tho I think I did some "target" search the other day.

THANKS AGAIN!

I wanna get this done by tomorrow.

lipi

#29 Post by lipi » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:35 pm

ah, you just need to find the right folder and copy that folder to a safe location. i don't know where netscape stores it. likely places to look are c:\documents and settings\ <your user name>\ my documents and ....\<your user name>\application data\netscape

i'm sorry i can't be of more help. hope jesse can figure this out for you.

Eyeball

#30 Post by Eyeball » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:34 pm

lipi wrote:
ah, you just need to find the right folder and copy that folder to a safe location. i don't know where netscape stores it. likely places to look are c:\documents and settings\ <your user name>\ my documents and ....\<your user name>\application data\netscape

i'm sorry i can't be of more help. hope jesse can figure this out for you.
But but but.....I thought you were the Wizard of Menlo Park?????

I will try what you say tomorrow......really kind of tired. Need 'Swing'.