What do Swing DJs do in the day/to earn a living?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Haydn

What do Swing DJs do in the day/to earn a living?

#1 Post by Haydn » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:42 am

Hello all,

I'm based in London and am about to start DJ'ing a little here. Initially for a few private events which feature Swing music. Needless to say, I won't get paid for these. But I am thinking of changing my day job to something closer to what I enjoy - music and dancing.

I wondered, therefore -

1. Do you Swing DJs earn a living from DJing?

2. If not, what do you do in the day, do you enjoy it, and is it related to music and DJing?

kitkat

#2 Post by kitkat » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:42 am

1 - No.
2 - I'm a classics major / French minor about to finish college. I'm looking at interpretation for the next year, but eventually I want to do something with more job security.

Platypus

#3 Post by Platypus » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:42 am

1 - no.

2 - Medical Social Work, specializing in HIV. My job is both exhausting and exhilarating. Music and dance help me reconnect with joy on a regular basis, making a good balance to the intensity of my days.

mousethief

#4 Post by mousethief » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:44 am

1. HAHAHAHAHA
2. I am professional salesperson, just down the ladder from elected officials, lawyers and African dictators on the "Most Despised List."

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

ScottieK

#5 Post by ScottieK » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:41 pm

1. This question made laugh out loud...good thing I'm at home right now

2. I work for a Police Department doing LiveScan Digital Finger Printing. Oh and I'm a student.

GemZombie

#6 Post by GemZombie » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:03 pm

1. No
2. I'm a software Engineer for Sonic Solutions. It's not really related, but I do enjoy it very much.

Nate Dogg

#7 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:17 pm

1. No
2. I work with Databases

Yakov

#8 Post by Yakov » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:43 pm

1. Yes.*
2. I am a music major, about to graduate

-yakov
*No.

djstarr

#9 Post by djstarr » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:54 pm

1. No (although I make enough to offset my CD purchases a bit).

2. Software Engineer for PACCAR (we make those big large semi trucks on the road - Peterbilt and Kenworth).

I love my job since I have a lot of time at work to catalogue my CDs while I do documentation etc.; my job right now consists mostly of organization and bureacracy, although I used to be a developer.

Yakov

#10 Post by Yakov » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:10 pm

that in itself is impressive... i've been spending more on CDs than ever since i started DJing... even if i were making decent bucks they wouldn't come close to my recent expenditures...

LazyP

#11 Post by LazyP » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:04 am

1. No
2. Post graduate student in theoretical chemistry (will get my PhD in three years)
The ultimate european swing site!
www.heptown.com

Haydn

#12 Post by Haydn » Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:03 am

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies - I am stunned to get so many so quickly :)

So, out of the 9 people who have replied -

3 are students
2 work in software
1 database
1 medical
1 sales
1 police

Only one is involved with music in the day (as a music student)

No-one makes a living from it. So everyone does it for love rather than money. I know a lot of people are in music for the enjoyment. On the other hand, there are people who make a living or in some cases a lot of money. Teachers, performers, promoters, DJs. Obviously a lot of these are in music which has a wider appeal than swing jazz.

Does anyone expect to make a living from DJing in the future. Or something else music-related like teaching/promoting/writing/producing/working for sound equipment or music software companies? I ask because I want to do something like this myself.

Toon Town Dave

#13 Post by Toon Town Dave » Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:31 am

To answer the original questions:

1) Yes*
2) I.T.
* Offer applicable only in 3rd world countries.

I certainly don't do it to get rich, my time is worth way more at my day job than even the best DJ is worth. I approach things primarily from a dance perspective with a swing dancer audience. A specialty audience is not going to be a big money maker, particularly swing dancers (ballroom dancers have a little more money but have IMO less appreciation for good DJing). The big money is in pandering to the mouth breathing masses which I'm not interested in.

There can be a modest living in being a mobile DJ (weddings, parties, etc). Here it's usually the DJ companies that make the money while the actual DJs working for them make something like $100/night. That usually requires a lot of evening/weekend work. Better than McDonalds but it means working during what would be recreational time for most people. I think some of the better club (not swing) DJs can make a decent living but only the best DJs for the busiest clubs.

Mr Awesomer

#14 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:51 am

huey wrote: So, out of the 9 people who have replied -

3 are students
2 work in software
1 database
1 medical
1 sales
1 police
Actually, it would be more accurate to say:

4 work in IT
3 are students
1 in medical
1 in sales
Reuben Brown
Southern California

caab

#15 Post by caab » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:00 am

1. No

2. I work mailroom and reception at a law firm full time, host a couple of nights a week at a restaurant and teach swing dancing two nights a week. Still looking for a career...