What do Swing DJs do in the day/to earn a living?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

GemZombie

#16 Post by GemZombie » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:01 am

Geeks rule!

Yakov

#17 Post by Yakov » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:02 am

Well, I do various music gigs -- I teach music at a Jewish synogague on Sunday mornings and I play in a Jewish wedding band, among other things.

Check back with me in six or seven years -- I'll be working full-time doing synogague music (as a cantor). That's the plan anyway

Obviously, the swing DJing is just a fun hobby that gives me an opportunity to listen and dance to music I like and share that with others. It has little to do with my career in music.

kbuxton

#18 Post by kbuxton » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:23 am

1. No
2. Software

Ron

#19 Post by Ron » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:31 pm

1. No. Not many could say yes.
2. System/Software Engineer at Qualcomm.

falty411

#20 Post by falty411 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:30 am

1. No way

2. Currently teaching lindy hop and performing with the Harlem Hot Shots.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

LindyChef

#21 Post by LindyChef » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:10 am

1) Nope

2) IT, soon to be a cook ...

JohnDyer

#22 Post by JohnDyer » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:08 am

1. No
2. Software Engineer

However the paid gigs do help with CD purchases (but nowhere near what I've invested in DJ hardware and CDs)
John Dyer, Denver CO

Haydn

#23 Post by Haydn » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:46 am

Thanks for the continuing replies.

So far, 2 people work (and presumably earn some sort of living) in music and dancing. One plays and teaches music. Another performs and teaches dance.

Everyone else does different unrelated jobs, frequently IT.

So a question to the people who don't work in music or dance. Wouldn't you rather do something music or dance related in the day. Like teaching/promoting/writing/producing/working for sound equipment or music software companies?

(This is what I am looking to do myself).

Toon Town Dave

#24 Post by Toon Town Dave » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:28 am

If music/dance was my day job, I'd probably spend my recreational time writing software or playing with electronics ... that stuff makes a much better day job than a hobby.

GemZombie

#25 Post by GemZombie » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:30 am

Toon Town Dave wrote:If music/dance was my day job, I'd probably spend my recreational time writing software or playing with electronics ... that stuff makes a much better day job than a hobby.
Ditto to that. I can't imagine dancing or music as a job, though I'd love to spend more time doing those things.

LindyChef

#26 Post by LindyChef » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:58 am

huey wrote:So a question to the people who don't work in music or dance. Wouldn't you rather do something music or dance related in the day.
Love lindy as a hobby and have devoted a freakish amount of energy to it, but it's not my primary passion in life ... it's an interesting diversion, but in the end I'm going to be happier in the kitchen making a bolognese sauce that I would having music/dance as my day job.

Trust me ... it shows in my bolognese sauce

main_stem

#27 Post by main_stem » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:26 am

1. Ha ha, that's funny
2. Graphic/Web Designer
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Swingwombat

#28 Post by Swingwombat » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:30 am

1. No (I wish)
2. IT Support

:) Di

northbayclay

Yes and no.

#29 Post by northbayclay » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:18 am

1. Yes (but certainly not swing DJing). My wife and I own a business with another couple. We are a production company that focuses primarliy on those weddings that everyone else dislikes so much. We have the advantage of living "smack dab in the middle" of the Northern California Wine Country, which is a destination for weddings. The other guy and I are wedding DJ's- his wife is a wedding coordinator and my wife is a videographer. Because of the high demand in this area, we are paid well for what we do-considering that it is mostly weekend work.

Alot of what we do has nothing to do with music and dancing- marketing, advertising, book-keeping, equipment, training, client consultations, etc.

We also teach lindy hop classes and help run a dance hall- with the same two friends(they own the dance hall). We're really fortunate to be able to make a living at something we love.

2. I'm also self employed as a notary public- it fits around my dancing and DJing.
"If you can't hear it.... you'll never understand it." -Satchmo

Haydn

Re: Yes and no.

#30 Post by Haydn » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:13 am

northbayclay wrote:1. Yes (but certainly not swing DJing). My wife and I own a business with another couple. We are a production company that focuses primarliy on those weddings that everyone else dislikes so much. We have the advantage of living "smack dab in the middle" of the Northern California Wine Country, which is a destination for weddings. The other guy and I are wedding DJ's- his wife is a wedding coordinator and my wife is a videographer. Because of the high demand in this area, we are paid well for what we do-considering that it is mostly weekend work...
Hi northbayclay,

Thanks for that. That confirms what a Swing DJ told me recently - "the money is in corporate events or weddings".