DJing weddings

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

northbayclay

#31 Post by northbayclay » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:59 am

Jesse-
It's very possible that they did try to hire me- but I was too expensive! 8) Especially with the travel- I quoted them $1000 for me and my wife to teach, and me to DJ. They couldn't hack it. I wasn't going to drive 5 hours and stay overnight for any less.

If the person you referred to is the person I'm thinking of, they were referred to me but were getting married down by you. Originally they were looking for dance teachers, but then they started thinking that they wanted a DJ (as opposed to a friend with a stereo and CD's). The only person I know in that area that does any kind of DJ'ing is you- plus they were looking for dance lessons, so I figured it was worth a shot. Now that I know what your preferences are, I won't send any more weddings your way.

I guess I kind of have a skewed view of things, because the five of us that own our wedding production company all dance, and most of us teach and DJ swing nights, so in my mind the two go together. Our lives are completely centered around music and dancing- it's our day-job, and our recreation.
"If you can't hear it.... you'll never understand it." -Satchmo

GemZombie

#32 Post by GemZombie » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:19 am

Ya, that sounds like the same people who tried to hire me.

I referred them to someone who would fit both of their requirements I believe. I also had a good excuse for not DJing their event... my company has our winter party the same evening.

I do appreciate the reference, I just have to admit that I don't think I would make a good Wedding DJ, and it wouldn't be fair of me to take their money when I hold these opinions . I would gladly DJ any event where the primary focus is swing music and dancing. At a wedding the primary focus is the couple being married, something I know I wouldn't be good at.

I hope I don't come off as snobby (though I'm sure I do), I just want to be honest about what I get out of DJing, and why I do it.