Upping the tempo.

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

mousethief

#46 Post by mousethief » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:06 am

It's the same as anything else. Unless people trust you, they are going to batten down the hatches and stay within their comfort zone.

If I make a mistake and DJ too fast, too soon (or whatever), I make sure I bring it back to solid basics before I try again.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Platypus

#47 Post by Platypus » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:51 am

Amen.

sonofvu

#48 Post by sonofvu » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:37 pm

About a month ago I played Casa Loma Stomp. Boy was that a mistake. About 95% of the dancers were not dancing and those that did really could not keep up. And it did not matter if they did lindy or bal. It was horrible. They just were not ready for that. Live and learn.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

mousethief

#49 Post by mousethief » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:46 pm

I try to watch the dancers over a song or two as I increase the tempo. If they are not adapting to the music or if they are hanging out doing Charleston to save their breath, I won't play some barnburner song.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Kyle

#50 Post by Kyle » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:00 pm

Playing

Wade In The Water
Fever
Casa Loma Stomp
Stormy Monday

in that order, usually doesnt work. :cry:

mousethief

#51 Post by mousethief » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:30 pm

Kyle wrote:Playing

Wade In The Water
Fever

doesnt work. :cry:
HAHA

I just did that to get a rise out of you "it all swings" peeps.

Kalman

mousethief

#52 Post by mousethief » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:37 pm

On a more practical level, one of my favorite pieces I use to transition is the perennial favorite, "Darktown Strutter's Ball" by Alberta Hunter. First, you trick them into getting on the floor during the bluesy intro, then let them swing out to the song, building enough energy for a faster song to follow.

Kalman

Swingwombat

#53 Post by Swingwombat » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:50 pm

Hey I do that :lol:

I think part of the problem that Bob the Builder sees in Melbourne comes from the fact that we are going through a bit of Balboa madness down here at the moment.

Alot more dancers are picking it up at the moment so tend to use any opportunity to practice (I think) I'm not a bal-gal myself but I can understand the need to practice what you are interested in learning at the moment. I think it will eventually get a bit more balance and we'll be back to our old reasons for being upset with each other :twisted:

:wink: Di

djstarr

#54 Post by djstarr » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:06 pm

GuruReuben wrote:You know, I don't think I've ever seen the Big Apple being done to Flying Home. I would think it's to slow a song anyway.
In Seattle JSLH was doing the Big Apple to a version of Flying Home that's around 196 bpm - that's a good in the pocket tempo -- track 1 on the Lionel Hampton Swingsation Series CD. There is another version of Flying Home on there that is around 160.

djstarr

Re: Upping the tempo.

#55 Post by djstarr » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:10 pm

Bob the Builder wrote:I’m fed up of having to DJ slow - mid range songs, because people don’t want to dance to faster tempos.
I’m also fed up of dancers just turning to Balboa when I put on an upper tempo song, even if it screams Swing out.

Brian
Here's my suggestion - pick a combo of two or three songs that build tempo that you personally would want to swing out to. Then play this combo each time you dj for a couple of months and go out and dance or have some of your buddies with fast skills dance to it -- if people see folks doing fast lindy well they will want to do it.

Personally I like Dipsy Doodle followed by Harlem Congo.

djstarr

#56 Post by djstarr » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:13 pm

Wade In The Water
Fever
Casa Loma Stomp
Stormy Monday

maybe that's what George tried ;-)

mousethief

#57 Post by mousethief » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:34 am

Here's another piece of the puzzle - the DJ has to be fearless and get over all these little self-perceptions about the crowd.

This is a groove crowd.
These people just do bal.
These people are lame.
They'll never dance to this.
They can't dance that fast.

These are excuses for not playing the best set you can. People want to dance and will dance if given the opportunity. Pigeonholing yourself means stunted dancers.

Falty, good call on the teaching aspect. I'm going to make faster tempos a staple of any lindy class I teach from here on out.

Kalman

sonofvu

#58 Post by sonofvu » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:18 am

djstarr wrote:

Wade In The Water
Fever
Casa Loma Stomp
Stormy Monday

maybe that's what George tried ;-)
It was actually this:

Wink and a smile
Casa Loma Stomp
How Lucky

I had Clap Hands Here Comes Charlie cued up right after Casa Loma Stomp but when I saw the disaster I changed my mind and played it safe. :) :lol: :lol:
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

falty411

#59 Post by falty411 » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:22 am

mousethief wrote:Falty, good call on the teaching aspect. I'm going to make faster tempos a staple of any lindy class I teach from here on out.

Kalman
are you sure its not too naive to think having people dance faster will help them be able to dance faster?
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

mousethief

#60 Post by mousethief » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:26 am

falty411 wrote:
mousethief wrote:Falty, good call on the teaching aspect. I'm going to make faster tempos a staple of any lindy class I teach from here on out.

Kalman
are you sure its not too naive to think having people dance faster will help them be able to dance faster?
Maybe it's a conspiracy.

Kalman