Cling-ons

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Lars

Cling-ons

#1 Post by Lars » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:51 am

Does anybody else have this problem?
People that hang out at your booth and act like they are somehow affiliated with the event. One guy would start talking to people who come to our version of "Lindy in the Park" as if he had something to do with putting it on (He didn't!) and answer questions about the event etc. The nerve 'eh?
By the way this guy is known locally as "Monty Burns".

(Excellent)

Lars

Kyle

#2 Post by Kyle » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:34 am

so long as they are HOT I have no problem with cling-ons

CLING ON ALL YOU WANT HONEY!

ScottieK

#3 Post by ScottieK » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:08 pm

Just be brutally honest and tell the guy that you don't want him answering questions about the event when he's at the DJ booth.

Toon Town Dave

#4 Post by Toon Town Dave » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:00 pm

Never had it happen. You should get T-shirts or golf shirts or name badges or something so it becomes obvious to the misinformed soles that he has nothing to do with organizing the event.

OTOH, it doesn't hurt to have people promoting your event. Unless he is saying stuff to discourage people from attending I'd just ignore it.

sonofvu

#5 Post by sonofvu » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:26 am

At the Austin Exchange, Tina from South Florida kept hanging around the dj booth peeking over my shoulder and scribbling furiosly on a note pad. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol: Luv ya gurl!
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

mousethief

#6 Post by mousethief » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:31 am

Maybe she was taking notes on what she wants in a man.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

sonofvu

#7 Post by sonofvu » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:06 pm

mousethief wrote:Maybe she was taking notes on what she wants in a man.

Kalman
HA! :lol: :P
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

Shanabanana

#8 Post by Shanabanana » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:23 pm

I don't mind people hanging near me while I DJ as long as they aren't in my way, and aren't telling me about their personal philosophy on DJing. I'd love to hear your theories, but I'm in the middle of something here...

Michaelwagner

#9 Post by Michaelwagner » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:12 pm

Shanabanana wrote:I don't mind people hanging near me while I DJ as long as they aren't in my way, and aren't telling me about their personal philosophy on DJing.
This is kinda how I feel. Most people who hang around the booth are OK.

To understand the next, you have to know that at the swing dance society dances, we don't really have a booth, we have just a folding table on top of risers.

I think there are 4 identifiable types of people who hang around the booth that aren't OK (at least not by me)
  • Mostly I don't leave the DJ booth. But sometimes I do, to dance with my girlfriend, or to grab a drink from the bar, or to lower my fluid content to make room for another drink. The people I hate the most are the ones that position themselves between me and the DJ booth as I return. I can hear there's only 15 seconds left, can't they hear it?!?!?! :shock:
  • People who think the booth is their own personal purse check facility ("I'll just put my purse down here, OK" and waltz off before even hearing my emphatic "NO")
  • People who don't even ask but put their almost full drink down on the table in and amongst my CDs :evil:
  • People who themselves aspire to be DJs and grill me about how I do it, where I get my equipment and music, etc, while I'm trying to DJ
I don't mind helping others to learn, (my rates are reasonable :) ) but why do you have to do this now?