Special order, backorder, etc.

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Matthew

Special order, backorder, etc.

#1 Post by Matthew » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:57 pm

(Not quite sure where to put this. Feel free to move it.)

About a month ago, I ordered a CD directly from Amazon (not through another seller on the site). The CD's status then was "Special Order," and Amazon estimated I'd have it in about a month. Now Amazon estimates it'll take another month, and I'm guessing it'll never arrive. I'd buy it from another source, but nobody seems to have it. The CD in question is Earl Hines, 1937-1939, CC. Anybody have experience with this type of thing?

Toon Town Dave

#2 Post by Toon Town Dave » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:56 pm

I've had some interesting experiences ordering from Amazon. Everything has eventually arrived if they said it would. I think once something was cancelled but was notified right away.

The CC stuff should be get-able. A&B Sound has it listed as 6-8 weeks (which usually means 4 or less).

http://www.absound.ca/ProductDetailMusi ... 0751705382

The get it right from the distributor in Canada (http://www.trendmusic.com/). If you find out who the U.S. distributor is, you can probably get your local CD store to special order it.

SpuzBal

#3 Post by SpuzBal » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:32 am

If you've given up hope on Amazon, there are a couple people on half.com selling that disc. (I think it's an awesome disc, by the way.)
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

mousethief

#4 Post by mousethief » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:38 am

Sometimes "Special Order" means that they have had access to it in the past, through an external distributor. Once the order is placed, they call around to see if it can be fulfilled. If not, they refund the sale or opt not to charge it.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Swifty

#5 Post by Swifty » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:36 am

I find gemm.com a great resource when searching for hard-to-find CDs. It's all private vendors, and I think they list what they've got on hand, so you know it's in stock. The only thing you need to be wary of is that sometimes they'll set ridiculous prices for items to take advantage of the "I've gotta have it!" customer.

They've got it for $12.65 here.

Matthew

#6 Post by Matthew » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:15 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. The CD arrived today. I cancelled the Amazon order and went with half.com. (If you haven't ordered through that site before, be aware that the registration process can be a ROYAL pain.) As many people have said, it's a great CD.