Venue size

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Matthew

Venue size

#1 Post by Matthew » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:01 pm

I've been thinking about this for some time. I read somewhere that one nightclub DJ said he preferred small venues because then he didn't have to make people dance. I've DJ'ed in large and small venues, and I prefer the smaller ones for that reason. Although, I haven't done this enough to perform thorough tests of the variables (music preferences, sound systems, lighting, etc.). How does the size of the venue affect what and/or how you play?

Lawrence

#2 Post by Lawrence » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:36 pm

Actually, I find myself "making people dance" far more often in a smaller venue. Large venues tend to be easier for me to keep people dancing due to critical mass. People (the non-show offs) also tend to blend in the crowd more and are thus less self conscious about "being watched." They thus also pull out the stops more than in a smaller venue where people tend to monitor their dancing.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

gatorgal

#3 Post by gatorgal » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:03 am

I prefer smaller venues. It seems more relaxed to me.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

mousethief

#4 Post by mousethief » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:41 am

I only prefer smaller venues if there's a reason people shouldn't be dancing - like sweet, sweet booze. Otherwise, you're playing the game for diminshing returns. You're dealing yourself out of business (and, therefore, swing), if the other activities become the primary reason people are going.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

yedancer

#5 Post by yedancer » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:29 pm

I think the size of the venue is less important than the size of the crowd. Good crowds in a small or a large venue are great. I don't know which is worse, though, a small crowd in a small venue or a small crowd in a large venue. Probably the former, because it ends up feeling like a bunch of people are at a really sucky party in your living room.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

djstarr

#6 Post by djstarr » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:04 pm

yedancer wrote:I think the size of the venue is less important than the size of the crowd. Good crowds in a small or a large venue are great. I don't know which is worse, though, a small crowd in a small venue or a small crowd in a large venue. Probably the former, because it ends up feeling like a bunch of people are at a really sucky party in your living room.
I helped organize a dance lesson for my church, and when we were setting up the dance area one lady who had a lot of experience hosting made sure we set a smaller rather than larger area. Easier to attain critical mass if the people attending fill the space.

I do agree -- it's the size of the crowd in the venue that is the key factor. Some spaces will just be too large.

yedancer

#7 Post by yedancer » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:02 am

djstarr wrote:I helped organize a dance lesson for my church, and when we were setting up the dance area one lady who had a lot of experience hosting made sure we set a smaller rather than larger area. Easier to attain critical mass if the people attending fill the space.
People never believe me when I tell them that. If you have a big space made small by chair setup or whatever, you can always make it bigger if necessary.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.