Jewel Case Storage Poll

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

What do you do with your original jewel cases?

Trash/recycle the jewel cases, keep the inserts
47%
Keep the inserts and the jewel boxes
53%

Total votes: 19

Nate Dogg

Jewel Case Storage Poll

#1 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:42 am

Inspired by Tina's discussion about recycling old jewel cases, I was wondering how other DJs store their original CDs and jewel cases.

I still have all my jewel cases stored in bookcases*, but they are mostly for decoration. The CDs themselves are in binders. Additionally, I actually DJ from CD-R compilations. My originals rarely leave the house, the cases never do.

A few of the local DJs have gotten rid of their cases all together. Part of me realizes that this an economical thing to do space wise. However, the collector part of me loves seeing cases full of jewel cases, filled with CD meticulously selected over 19 years.

I reckon a lot of the DJs on this Board have collections large enough to where this is a concern for them, how do you store your CD/Jewel cases. I am also assuming the everybody keeps the boxes from their box sets, this about run of the mill jewel cases.

I added a poll at the bottom as well.

* CDs that are suitable for DJing
Last edited by Nate Dogg on Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

JesseMiner

#2 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:58 am

I keep all of my original CDs in their jewel cases.

For years they were either in boxes or stacked in piles around my apartment while I agonized over the best method of storage. I had images in my head of those sweet floor-to-ceiling shelving units that radio stations use. Finally I found a great store here in San Francisco called Stumasa that builds quality and reasonably-priced wooden CD shelving. I now have some of their customized shelving bolted in my office (gotta be prepared for earthquakes). It is the perfect solution for me, and I love having the access to my music.

Jesse

gatorgal

#3 Post by gatorgal » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:39 am

JesseMiner wrote: For years they were either in boxes or stacked in piles around my apartment while I agonized over the best method of storage.
That's where I am now... agonizing over storage and dreading an impending move to Texas because I have to deal with my crap. It's certainly not that much in comparison to you or Nate, but it's still my crap.

And I don't think I ever want to have to think earthquake-proofing my home. The ground just should not shake at any given time.

BTW, thanks for the poll Nate.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Lawrence

#4 Post by Lawrence » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:04 pm

Long ago, I passed the point where I could store my CD s in jewel cases on shelves unless I wanted my home to look like a used CD store (not an option, in my humble opinion).

I actually paid movers to move the five or six giant boxes of jewel cases from Chicago to Austin. Three years later, I felt an immese swell of relief come over me when I finally threw away those and more boxes of jewel cases.

If I ever return to jewel cases, it will be to slimline case that are half the width of jewel cases. But it is almost impossible now unless I get a basement dedicated to CD shelves.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Toon Town Dave

#5 Post by Toon Town Dave » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:25 pm

I'm only approaching a few hundred CDs and can make space to store jewel cases if necessary so I probably don't have the space problem some of y'all may have.

I keep all my jewel case except for a couple that got busted from being dropped on the floor. Primarily I store everything in a couple of bankers boxes. Recent acquisitions are just piled up around my desk.

Jerry_Jelinek

#6 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:52 am

I keep all of the cases, inserts etc.

After you get to a point of needing quality organization, check this out:

http://www.can-am.ca/

These are high quality metal drawers. This is a high priced item, but well worth the cost to preserve your valuable CD collection.

Ron

#7 Post by Ron » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:34 pm

I keep most of my originals in these:
http://www.thejungles.com/oakvencdrac11.html

The shelves go from floor to about 5 feet up and the shelves and the CDs look great. Of course I rip all the songs I'll DJ with to my computer and make compilations, so I never bring the originals anywhere.

I've never understood people who buy the CD shelves that have a particular slot for each CD. They are so wasteful of space. The wooden bookshelf type racks are the only way to go, in my opinion.

I have my shelves bolted to the walls in case of earthquake, but its still likely that the CDs would come out individually and crash to the floor. I could put in something along the bottom of each shelf that could prevent that, but I'm too lazy.

Yakov

#8 Post by Yakov » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:08 pm

they sat empty in boxes for a few years, but now i'm cannibalizing the cases for copies of my demo cd.