Tha value of a DJ's time

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Kyle

#76 Post by Kyle » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:03 pm

I have only been paid at one venue in LA. and that venue was around for only 4 nights!

LindyGroove, SwingPit, TiaJuanas, Suzy Q's all pay nothing to local DJ's

Lindy Groove flies out guest DJ's from across the country, but does not pay the local ones

Shanabanana

#77 Post by Shanabanana » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:23 pm

I always pay guest DJs at my event. They make a big difference in the energy of the night, and if we're making money off of the event, it's wrong to expect them to play for free.

I also usually get paid for guest DJing around town, though it's not that important to me. I'm glad, though, that most venues seem to pay guest DJs here. That helps the DJs who don't have regular gigs build their collections so that I can steal music ideas from them. :)

Swifty

#78 Post by Swifty » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:13 pm

For the record, Colorado is awesome to their guest DJs.

Mr Awesomer

#79 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:51 am

I get to confirm that next weekend.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Swifty

#80 Post by Swifty » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:08 am

When they offered to pay me, I told them they could keep their money so long as they treated you like crap next week. Have fun!

hypr_chik

#81 Post by hypr_chik » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:36 pm

A few weeks ago I was at an event that I was asked to DJ at. It was a fun event but there were many hours of DJ time to fill both during the day and at night and there were only 3 of us. I still found fun from DJing but there were times where it defiantely was 'work' and a royal pain in the ass. When I got to the door, CD cases in hand, I was asked to pay for the event. I flatly refused, walked straight in to the booth. I'd like to think this was an error from the the person manning the door but then again she was likely going from organizer's list. Through the weekend there were points where I felt like I had to practically sneak in to venues. Grrrrrrrrr....

This was not an event I wanted to go to had I not bee DJing. I might have gone regardless but had I, I would have hung out during the day at the free stuff ie/ hanging out at a lake, had no obligations to be there (early or late) and mebbe gone and done social stuff at night in the major city that was fairly close by. I would not have paid $25 to listen to the bands. For the most part, they didn't turn my crank, before going to the event... and for me dancing is about the music. I started dancing because I was going to jazz and blues bars and wanted to move to the music I liked. (Yeah, I was sneaking in during my early teens. Oh do I wish I knew about the dance back then.) I was pleasantly surprised musically by one of teh bands but the so called 'swing' band on was quite neo, square and very loud - not my cup of tea and I resented having to be there even to DJ the breaks and after the band and ended up fleeing out of doors till I was needed.

Sorry for being long winded. I just think that someone ie/ me alone or all 3 of us DJs need to convey to this organizer that this is not acceptable behavior. How do you convey to an organizer that you felt insulted that the DJs were not officially supposed to be AT LEAST comped for the event? Any suggestions?

Kyle

#82 Post by Kyle » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:42 pm

Why don't you just talk to them? There is nothing wrong with having a polite conversation with them. Just make sure that you are respectful, and present your side in a polite, pleasing manner.

Don't underestimate the value of a polite interaction with a promoter, or any person for that matter

hypr_chik

#83 Post by hypr_chik » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:03 pm

I wasn't able to do it at the time... both cause I was tried, overwraught and busy but also cause I make it a habit of not dealing with things I am angry about till I have calmed down. It prevents me from doing stupid things.
Now this is after the fact... should I do this on my own? Talk to the 3rd DJ as I already know 2 of us feel similarily and then talk to the organizer solo or as a group?

Kyle

#84 Post by Kyle » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:10 pm

Yeah, good idea not doing it at the event. I wouldnt do that even if you are calm. But now since it has passed, feel free. No need to bring in other DJ's, just do it on your own.

CafeSavoy

#85 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:32 pm

hypr_chik wrote:When I got to the door, CD cases in hand, I was asked to pay for the event. I flatly refused, walked straight in to the booth.

I just think that someone ie/ me alone or all 3 of us DJs need to convey to this organizer that this is not acceptable behavior. How do you convey to an organizer that you felt insulted that the DJs were not officially supposed to be AT LEAST comped for the event? Any suggestions?
That is just wrong. At the absolute minimum you should be comped. And it's rude. You should have spoken to an organizer before starting to dj and if what they said was sketchy, reconsidered whether you wanted to dj their event.

Platypus

#86 Post by Platypus » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:31 pm

If you have been chewing on this thing for this long, you are telling yourself that you need to do something. Let them know what would make a weekend more welcoming for DJs. I would recommend sooner rather than later, once you have your requests and feedback organized. I once got some constructive criticism two months after an event. Details were fuzzy for both me and the person who approached me. The advice was good and would have been better if we both could have remembered more details.

Henry Hui Hui

#87 Post by Henry Hui Hui » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:22 am

A couple of the regular venues in Melbourne (Australia) pay $50-60 for a night, but they are usually only for about a 3 hour set, as the venues close early

funkyfreak

#88 Post by funkyfreak » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:24 am

Platypus wrote:Let them know what would make a weekend more welcoming for DJs.
If you phrase it like that -- how to help future DJs, and make the event go smoother for the organizers themselves -- it will appear be less 'personal' and less 'complaining'.

Focusing the way you phrase things less on 'I do feel' and more on 'we would feel' will make it come across more as you trying to be helpful.

-FF

Kyle

#89 Post by Kyle » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:23 am

and try to stay away from phrases like:

You suck!

Asshole!

Well, then sir, bite me!

Those will get you into trouble.

djstarr

#90 Post by djstarr » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:15 pm

This is perhaps just good common sense, but it's a good idea to know all the terms before you accept a gig --- like "will I be comped" "do I get a tshirt" "do I get any money toward travel expenses" etc. etc. Asking those questions of an organizer upfront before you agree to anything will get them thinking "oh maybe that's the standard practice".

Any event that I've either dj'ed at or helped organize the terms have been clear up front.