Legitimately Owned Music and DJing

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

gatorgal

#31 Post by gatorgal » Wed May 19, 2004 11:56 am

mousethief wrote:
wheresmygravy wrote:
gatorgal wrote:I'm trying to figure out what a woman's half naked ass has to do with promo songs.

Tina 8)
You may see the ass as half naked, I see it as half clothed. You must be a pessimist.. 8)

It is true that I could have used a different image for the link, but then again why would I??
I'm a pessimist and I see it as half-clothed.

Kalman
:lol:

What is this... the "zen of the ass"?

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

mousethief

#32 Post by mousethief » Wed May 19, 2004 11:56 am

You have yet to meet my girlfriend, s'true.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

BryanC

#33 Post by BryanC » Wed May 19, 2004 12:50 pm

I can't speak for the law in the US, but in Canada, you pay a levy on blank CDs, harddrives and other blank media, whose revenue supposedly goes to the Canadian Private Copying Collective who distributes royalties to musicians with copyrights in Canada. Hence, copies for personal use are permitted, even if you don't own the original media--though there are all sorts of weird legalities around this which can be read from http://neil.eton.ca/copylevy.shtml

jmatthew

#34 Post by jmatthew » Wed May 19, 2004 3:35 pm

My collection started as a largely (I don't want to say "pirated" because I didn't go looking for stuff, it more like a few dozen burned CD's people tossed me with "You'll like track 12 on this" comments) ...found, let's say, music.

So I ended up with a few hundred songs, a few of which I knew the name of the song and a bit more, but not much more. After I found myself pseudo-DJ'ing I became somewhat uncomfortable with the nature of my collection, so I set out to make my collection "legit."

Oddly enough it wasn't terribly hard or expensive. I'm not remotely done legitimizing my stuff, but my collection is 3x larger now just from stuff I bought to cover one crappy MP3, and found a TON of new and exciting stuff on the same CD.

I've also learned my swing music collection much much better. There's just something natural about tossing in a CD, listening to the music and associating the CD name and band name with the music I'm listening to, rather than flipping through a huge MP3 index.

I find myself playing more music from CD's I actually own considerably more than CD's I don't, just because I know them more.

I guess my point is that using non-original music, in most cases, is the DJ disservicing himself and making his/her own life more difficult than it needs to be, without really saving a great amount of money.
I'm not an obsessive personality. I just happen to pick hobbies that seem to consume my life.

www.lindyguy.com

wheresmygravy

#35 Post by wheresmygravy » Thu May 20, 2004 9:38 am

BryanC wrote:I can't speak for the law in the US, but in Canada, you pay a levy on blank CDs, harddrives and other blank media, whose revenue supposedly goes to the Canadian Private Copying Collective who distributes royalties to musicians with copyrights in Canada. Hence, copies for personal use are permitted, even if you don't own the original media--though there are all sorts of weird legalities around this which can be read from http://neil.eton.ca/copylevy.shtml
There is something like that here, it is called an "Audio CDR" That is the difference between Regular/data CDRs and Audio CDRs is that a piece of the pie goes to the recording industry and there is some special flag on the disc. I have a piece of stereo equipment (HP DEC100) that uses Audio CD to burn CDs and would not write to the other type. (Well, until they released a patch)

12bars

#36 Post by 12bars » Fri May 21, 2004 1:26 pm

Bob the Builder wrote:I now come at it from the point of view that it is wrong to trade music. And have tried to discourage it.
(btb, i dont mean to pick on your post in particular, sorry)

i dont think anyone would not want the artist to get their royalties. they work hard, and dont really get paid that much. that said. have we forgotten that a large part of the cost of a cd doesnt go to the artist, or even into it making of the cd, but into the pockets of the record company? imean its ridiculous how expensive cds are. if most of that was going to the artist, i would pay my money happily, but it doesnt. i would LOVE to have orignal cds for all the music i have, but thats a lot of money, going to the record executives houses. im working on legitimizing my entire collection, but im in no rush.

Lawrence

Re: Legitimately Owned Music and DJing

#37 Post by Lawrence » Sun May 23, 2004 9:35 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:Maybe the lawyers on the Board can clear things up, I can't quote any statutes.
I can clarify one thing, which I have noted before. Everyone should keep in mind the difference between making comments in a private coffee house conversation during an Exchange or even an ordinary night out, on the one hand, and posting comments on a bulletin board available to the public with "DJ" in the name and URL, on the other.

We all might discuss these issues in coffee houses and boldly espouse our half-baked, self-righteous views there, which is fine. The RIAA is not paying investigators to travel to and scour all after-hours coffee shops across the country for conversations on music sharing. However, they DO very likely pay investigators $20 an hour to sit in front of a computer screen and visit internet chat boards to find and go after the worst offenders as examples: and "DJs" are perhaps the best examples to be made of because they hoard and collect music more voraciously than "normal" people do and are "networked" well enough that one guy getting busted presumably has a chilling effect on hundreds of other rampant offenders. Especially "niche" DJs like us.

To measure the likelihood of the RIAA doing so, consider how much would we all "pay attention" if one of the prominent posters on this borad were nabbed by this very thread. The fact that it WOULD affect all of us if that happened makes it likely that it will happen. As such, I suggest that if you have spent tens of thousands of dollars buying music (as I have done, Mr. Senator), then it is fine to disclose that fact. But I would very cautiously avoid making any admissions that makes it easy for the RIAA to make an unfortunate example of you.

Or you could ignore my legal advice when I'm offering it for free and instead hire me to defend you when it happens.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Mr Awesomer

#38 Post by Mr Awesomer » Sun May 23, 2004 10:44 pm

I say let those not in compliance blab all they like.
It would be most amusing to me if they were to be nabbed.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Ron

#39 Post by Ron » Mon May 24, 2004 11:33 am

12bars wrote:
Bob the Builder wrote:I now come at it from the point of view that it is wrong to trade music. And have tried to discourage it.
(btb, i dont mean to pick on your post in particular, sorry)

i dont think anyone would not want the artist to get their royalties. they work hard, and dont really get paid that much. that said. have we forgotten that a large part of the cost of a cd doesnt go to the artist, or even into it making of the cd, but into the pockets of the record company? imean its ridiculous how expensive cds are. if most of that was going to the artist, i would pay my money happily, but it doesnt. i would LOVE to have orignal cds for all the music i have, but thats a lot of money, going to the record executives houses. im working on legitimizing my entire collection, but im in no rush.
Using the "but most of the money goes to record executives" argument is a total cop-out and one of the silliest rationalizations for not buying the CDs. Firstly, whatever the "wasted" overhead there may or may not be, obviously the artists aren't going to get squat if you don't buy the music. So you punish the artists to not support the record executives? Not to mention that record companies, like any companies, are full of normal worker bees like you and me trying to earn a living, from the guy that fixes the recording equipment to the guy proofreading the liner notes. You are stealing from them, too. Tell me, how do you rationalize that, again?

Kyle

#40 Post by Kyle » Mon May 24, 2004 11:48 am

I rationalize that with the perspective of "pay the workerbees more" and i will buy your music/movie

I am tried of superstars bitching about how we are stealing from them. FU you make millions off your crappy azz music from teenies that dont know better.

Perfect example:

Jessica Simpson released a new CD. Great, sounds good, people like it.

(i forget the timeline, but i will guestimate at less than 1 year)
Jessica Simpson re-releases that SAME CD with 3 new songs. Is there a price reduction? can you trade in? HELL NO You have to buy the brand new CD at full price for 3 friggin songs. That, is a rip!

Check out "Fabulous life" on VH1 and try to see the hip hop super stars. OMG they have more cash than I can shake a stick at. It is insane.

That is where my greif comes from. Paying the people who make one hit song millions and paying the people who physically make CD, crap! AND NO, Millie Vinillie/ Vanilla Ice etc.... have no talent. they are purely pop stars that were fabricated by the record industry to take advantage of a young market unable to make decisions for themselves.

Mr Awesomer

#41 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon May 24, 2004 12:09 pm

Kyle,
Taking advantage of stupid people is the American way.
Get used to it... take advantage of it yourself... or move to France.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Kyle

#42 Post by Kyle » Mon May 24, 2004 12:40 pm

bwahahahahaha

very funny

Lawrence

#43 Post by Lawrence » Tue May 25, 2004 4:23 pm

Kyle wrote:Jessica Simpson re-releases that SAME CD with 3 new songs. Is there a price reduction? can you trade in? HELL NO You have to buy the brand new CD at full price for 3 friggin songs. That, is a rip!
Or you can do the American thing and choose to not buy it. I don't see what there is to get mad about, other than... ""Damn, why didn't *I* think about getting rich doing something that simple before they did!?!?"

Something is grossly wrong, here. I seem to agree with Reuben, albeit from a slightly less cynical perspective.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

gatorgal

#44 Post by gatorgal » Tue May 25, 2004 5:36 pm

Lawrence wrote: Something is grossly wrong, here. I seem to agree with Reuben, albeit from a slightly less cynical perspective.
I'm sure it's a sign of the apocolypse.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

12bars

#45 Post by 12bars » Tue May 25, 2004 10:25 pm

in an interview today on npr, someone said, if you want to support the artists, instead of buying cds, help pay for an auditor for the record companies.