DJing band breaks

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Doug

DJing band breaks

#1 Post by Doug » Fri May 07, 2004 4:42 pm

How do you DJ relative to the style of the band?? Or do you care what their style is? Is there a diffeence between the way you DJ band breaks and the way you DJ an entire set on your own????

Roy

#2 Post by Roy » Fri May 07, 2004 5:17 pm

When I dj band breaks I never play standards. I don't want to play what the band might play. Some bands provide set lists to the DJs which is nice.

I start off with swing music that is very different from the band and see how the crowd reacts. There are times when I continue to play the very different stuff. Sometimes I find myself getting closer and closer to the style of the band because that is what the crowd seems to want.

djstarr

#3 Post by djstarr » Sat May 08, 2004 1:21 am

It's definitely different than a normal set for me.

For the two bands that I've Dj'ed breaks for (Boilermaker Jazz Band and Ham Carson Quintet [they are playing the Seattle Lindy Exchange]), I've played to the band.

They are actually similar bands; led by clarinetists who also play saxophone; they also do a lot of trad jazz band stds; so it was pretty easy to guess what they would like -- I played a lot of clarinet led stuff - Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman, Pee Wee Russell; plus hot jazz stuff - Jack Teagarden, Louis Armstrong etc.

I got really great results --- the Boilermaker Jazz Band came in on the last part of Louis Armstrong's "Big Butter and Egg Man" and played another minute to start their 2nd set - I thought that was very cool.

Ham played over the top of Pee Wee Russell's solo - it was obviously a solo he knew well, so I thought that was cool too.

I also got band members from both bands asking me who I was playing; so I considered that successful --- and the dancers seemed to enjoy the breaks too ;-)

I'm dj'ing the breaks for Porkpie at the Seattle Lindy Exchange - they are a big band led by a Lester Young inspired saxophonist who used to be in Lily Wilde's band - I'll have to ask him if he minds if I dj Lily Wilde during the breaks! (not sure if I would or not; he'd probably dig stuff off the Lester Young Proper Box Set instead).

I figure if I can help inspire the band during the breaks, the dancers will be happier as a result.

gatorgal

#4 Post by gatorgal » Mon May 10, 2004 7:38 am

I try to stay away from whatever the band plans to play (provided I know a setlist) but I don't necessarily stay away from standards and such. I've been known to play what I would normally play during one of my sets.

I'm also more apt to play new stuff during band breaks.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Albert System

#5 Post by Albert System » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:44 am

The band breaks you played at DCLX for us were great. I think playing something similar to what the band style is, but hopefully not tramping on their set list, is the way to go.

I know when DJ's do our breaks, if they play a lot of Neo, or rockabilly, it seems really disjointed. And it tends to make many of the dancers cranky. Plus, that type of stuff is usually mixed differently than more traditional bands, which means tons more bass and drums. Then when we come back on, it's tough to keep up with that kind of volume level.

I also don't worry too much about DJ's playing standards for 2 reasons.
1. Our arrangements are always different than the recording, so even if we repeat a song that the DJ played, most people won't notice.
2. We don't work off set lists. If you play something that is in our repertoire, I just won't that one. We have a song list of about 600 tunes- plenty to choose from!

The only time that playing standards is a problem is if the band is usuing stock arrangements, or if they have a limited repertoire.

Paul Cosentino
Boilermaker Jazz Band

Doug

#6 Post by Doug » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:41 am

Paul - Since I didn't make DCLX, and just as a completely hypothetical question:

Spose I were DJing a band break for you at, as just a random example, the All Balboa weekend. If I were to play classic small group (Webster, Hodges, Young) would that work for you? If I used a more classic trad sound, like Bechet or Crosby, would that work? How about Marty Grosz, or Titan Hot Five (Seven), or Keith Ingham or other current small group hot jazz (But not the Boilermakers - :wink:.)

Nate Dogg

#7 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:00 am

Mostly, at our band dances, we try to provide some contrast. Ideally, we will have long enough band break sets to get a few bridge songs in that will help with the flow (i.e. the first and last songs of the band break set are very much in the vien of what the band is playing).

But, the band break allows for different music styles to get some exposure at the event. There always seems to a segment of dancers who are craving the opposite of what the band is providing, so trying to throw them some bones during the break is not a bad thing, in my eyes.

I also think the specific event/venue and the length of the break are very important. I can see sticking to one style in a few scenarios. But, at the events I work, local Austin dances and the occasional Exchange, I never feel like I am bound to the style of the live band for my entire set.

Albert System

#8 Post by Albert System » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:39 am

Doug-

Any of those bands would be fine with me. Also- any of the clssic big band recordings that you all love would be fine.

Nate-

I would understand playing something different- like if I have a 6 piece hot jazz band, and on the breaks, you would play big band stuff. But keep the big band stuff in the 30's mode at least somewhat. Don't play Setzer- type big band with tons of screaming guitar and rock style bass and drums. In my opinion, when DJ's do that merely for the sake of the breaks sounding different, it ends up killing the vibe for me. See what I mean??

Campus Five

#9 Post by Campus Five » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:09 pm

Wow, I think you should try to play stuff distinctly different that the band during breaks. Although maybe what I consider different isn't sooo different. I'll be DJing between Mora's Modern Rhythmists at Camp Hollywood. I definately won't be playing anything before 1937. No Dixie, Hot Jazz or early swing. I'll instead play 1937-1945 swing stuff, small groups and big bands. Now I consider that different, but then again I don't play any rock and roll or neo or groove.
I've had people play the same song and version that I'm about to play with either the Campus Five or the Orchestra. I shouldn't have to compete with the original versions of songs.
I think playing a counterpoint to the band is ideal. I would never want to play the same style as the band is playing, but clearly I'm not going to play something so different to spoil the mood or the vibe.
"I don''t dig that two beat jive the New Orleans cats play.
My boys and I have four heavy beats to the bar and no cheating!
--Count Basie
www.campusfive.com
www.myspace.com/campusfive
www.swingguitar.blogspot.com

gatorgal

#10 Post by gatorgal » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:25 pm

Paul and Jonathan ~

I'm curious to know how much you "work with" DJs or talk about band breaks with them. My experience is limited and not really that good. As in the bands/singers I've dealt with didn't give me much info to work with.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Kyle

#11 Post by Kyle » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:40 pm

man, bands never talk to the DJ's. except when Jonathon wants me to play some campus5 songs :p

jonathon- i think you have it easier at CH this year because you are DJing for Mora who has a clearly defined song list. Most bands play a more general song style/genre/year thing. so it isn't as clear cut as your sets will be.

as for me, I never play the same song as the band MIGHT play (well, this happened once, when i F***d up really bad) and, i like the idea of bridging as mathew said

the other important thing is tempo. I always try to get ahold of a set list so I know what the bands are closing with and opening with. if they are opening with a fast number, I wont play something blazing as my last song, ill play something to warm the crowd up for the bands first fast song. and vise versa or so with slow songs.

GemZombie

#12 Post by GemZombie » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:39 pm

I prefer some contrast between sets. I always thought it was less than complimentary to a band if you play music in the same style... as if to say, "here's what you *should* sound like".

kbuxton

#13 Post by kbuxton » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:52 pm

GemZombie wrote:I prefer some contrast between sets. I always thought it was less than complimentary to a band if you play music in the same style... as if to say, "here's what you *should* sound like".
I've always felt like contrasting too much though is more saying "here's what I'd rather be listening to".

GemZombie

#14 Post by GemZombie » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:01 pm

Good point. Happy medium then. How about a mix?

Albert System

#15 Post by Albert System » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:55 pm

Wow- I hope I can remember to respond to everything...

I always try to talk to the Dj and compliment them when I like the tunes they play.

I don't think that playing something in a similar style is insulting- on the contrary- I play that kind of music because I like it, and I love to hear the recordings that made me want to play it in the first place.

and Jonathan- refer to my earlier post- I said if a band is playing stock or famous arrangements, you have to be careful not to trod upon their playlists.

BUT if a band is like mine- loose with the arrangements, and has TONS of tunes to choose from- than it really doesn't bother me if a song I was going o play gets played by the DJ. I have plenty of others to choose from.

Frankly, the only time I don't talk to the DJ is if we are playing our style (small band hot jazz & swing from the 20's 30's) and they play nothing but rockabilly and neo swing on the breaks. I am unlikely to tell them I don't like their set, or I don't think it is appropriate. I don't want to insult them. BUT it does bother me & my musicians more than you might think.

However- again if the DJ is playing stuff that flows with our style, we always try to thank them!!!

And also- if you play a band in a similar style, that is fine... as long as you don't come up to me and ask me if I just LOOOOOVE so and so's playing. Because we serious musicians are all competitive. If you ask me that question- don't get insulted if I tell you: "I can kick his ass around the block."