DJing band breaks

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Nate Dogg

#16 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:06 pm

Albert System wrote: I would understand playing something different- like if I have a 6 piece hot jazz band, and on the breaks, you would play big band stuff. But keep the big band stuff in the 30's mode at least somewhat. Don't play Setzer- type big band with tons of screaming guitar and rock style bass and drums. In my opinion, when DJ's do that merely for the sake of the breaks sounding different, it ends up killing the vibe for me. See what I mean??
I don't play much rockabilly or Setzer. I am pretty sure that I would not play them at a band dance, unless there was some sort of overt directive from the organizer to do so.

My opinion is that the vibe should be that the dance floor stays full and the DJ sets flows with the band. If the band breaks are long enough, the DJ can put in some variety and contrast while not distracting from the band.

I always like to have a couple songs warning before a band comes on, that give me time to work the transition. Most of the time, you can just watch the band and figure those things out.

Nathan

Albert System

#17 Post by Albert System » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:43 am

Nathan-

Your policy sounds about right to me. I think the most important point to be made here is that you guys are actually considering what would work best when DJ-ing band breaks. As opposed to the inconsiderate DJ's who don't even try to work with the band.

djstarr

#18 Post by djstarr » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:51 pm

Thanks Paul!

I think it's awesome you and Jonathan are posting here - great to get feedback from working musicians!

Nima

#19 Post by Nima » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:04 pm

First and foremost you have to cater to the audience you are playing for. Your role as a DJ is to be able to find out what they want and provide it to them. I usually would start with similar, yet different, songs than the band played in the previous sets (I know that's vague and open to interpretation but baiscally it means make a smooth transition from one style to another). I will definitely give the dancers a slight different taste from what they have been listening to from the band but I will not be drastic about it. Like it has been mentioned, it has to be a happy medium with room for variety.

Nima

falty411

#20 Post by falty411 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:14 pm

The best feeling EVER as a dj is to be DJing a band break and on your last song, the band just picks up and starts playing the song. Perfect transition, its such a kick ass feeling.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Nima

#21 Post by Nima » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:22 pm

falty411 wrote:The best feeling EVER as a dj is to be DJing a band break and on your last song, the band just picks up and starts playing the song. Perfect transition, its such a kick ass feeling.
Moist definitely, we have a couple of bands in Atlanta that have done that several times when I have DJ'd between their sets. A lot of times it takes people a little bit to realize, hey, it's not the CD anymore!

Gotta love it!