announcing songs

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

12bars

announcing songs

#1 Post by 12bars » Mon May 03, 2004 9:23 am

i was at a carolina shag event this past week, and several of the djs there announce song title, or artist, or both for like 40% of the songs they play. its usually as the last song fades out, or as the 2nd song starts up; never really cutting the music to talk. they include things like reminders to "remember your bartenders, they are working hard for ya". how receptive would the lindy scene be to this?

mousethief

#2 Post by mousethief » Mon May 03, 2004 9:39 am

My guess is "Not Very." That's just a guess, though.

Most DJs & announcers I have seen that can pull it off are the kind of people that can pull off anything. If I had to listen to somebody rattle off song after song, I'd go insane. But CS is a different scene than Lindy.

Also, many classic songs have a pronounced intro and I would not want to interfere with that for anything.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Nate Dogg

#3 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon May 03, 2004 10:29 am

I hardly ever announce songs. In general, I think the less DJs talk, the happier the dancers are.

There are always enough venue required reasons to talk (annoucements for future events, administrative stuff, etc...).

That being said, I did a little intro before I played a Claude Fiddler Williams song last week (since he died recently). Frankly, I don't think anybody paid any attention. I used "Smooth One" for a snowball and most of dancers were focused on the upcoming snowball, not the obscure musician (in their eyes) that I was paying tribute to.

As a dancer, I would be very annoyed if the DJ talked between every song. It is a dance, not a radio show.

Nathan

julius

#4 Post by julius » Mon May 03, 2004 10:37 am

venues need giant LED scrolling banners displaying the name of the song and the artist. and a big nerf bat to hit people with.

mousethief

#5 Post by mousethief » Mon May 03, 2004 10:51 am

You get to hit a dancer once for every time they get off beat or hit a break that's not there.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Kyle

#6 Post by Kyle » Mon May 03, 2004 12:30 pm

ROFL

the only problem with that mousetheif, is that our good friend, Julius, would be pretty banged up at the end of the night ;)

julius

#7 Post by julius » Mon May 03, 2004 1:45 pm

you're just jealous because i am having the best award at Showdown named after me.

PWN3D!

Dr. Feelgood

#8 Post by Dr. Feelgood » Mon May 03, 2004 4:21 pm

Imagine if "Cousin" Bruce Morrow were a DJ on the swing scene.

That could be interesting, but in moderation.

Devona, I think a DJ's personality and approach to announcing
songs would "make or break" that situation. I'd like to have seen
how the DJ's at Myrtle Beach handled things (I know, I was supposed
to go...cut me some slack here), did they keep things short and sweet,
announcing the song title/arttist and then jump off the mike after a quick
intro...

gatorgal

#9 Post by gatorgal » Wed May 05, 2004 10:32 am

Kyle wrote: the only problem with that mousetheif, is that our good friend, Julius, would be pretty banged up at the end of the night ;)
Ouch! :) (but funny...)

Anyway, I would hate hearing the announcement of songs like that. I hate making announcements, myself. I don't really think anyone comes out to hear my voice. The only time when I make an announcement about a song is when someone specifically asks me to. For example, Barbara Morrison is singing at our Frankie Post Cruise party... so Swing Affair asks me to play at least on Barbara song and let everyone know who she is so they can make the connection with the event.

That's fine... but making an announcement on every song is just plain annoying.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Nando

#10 Post by Nando » Wed May 05, 2004 7:47 pm

I got to ATLX early on Thursday to check out Alan White's Thursday night gig. It sounds like Devona's experience with the Carolina Shag DJs is similar to Alan's style. He would interject a song title while the opening was playing. No full sentence, like "This is...." He would just say "Shiny Stockings." I don't even think he named the bands.

Then again, when he saw someone from the booth who just walked in, he'd also announce "Jimmy just walked in. Hello Jimmy" over the music.

I feel a voice over is just that, a voice over the music. Why draw attention away from the dancing. However, I suppose it's better than a DJ taking what he thinks is 30 seconds to talk up a song BEFORE he hits play.

Perhaps down south they feel it adds to the musical atmosphere to talk up a song during the intro. I just think it's a flashy way for the DJ to show he and talk and mix music at the same time.

Bob the Builder

#11 Post by Bob the Builder » Wed May 05, 2004 8:52 pm

Then again, when he saw someone from the booth who just walked in, he'd also announce "Jimmy just walked in. Hello Jimmy" over the music.
lol
It sounds like a comedy act. :lol:

wheresmygravy

#12 Post by wheresmygravy » Thu May 06, 2004 11:01 am

I used to feel it was good to announce at least who the song is by. More for education than anything. We have a lot of young kids who don't venture up to the booth to talk to the DJ and ask questions. And know squat about the music.

I did DJ one night with a wireless, boom mike and it felt very comfortable making brief announcements about the music and I got lots of positive comments from the crowd. But you have to have a well tuned Mic/PA so that your voice is not just some noise.

I don't do it as much anymore, but I still wish they knew what they were listening to.

This is a combination of multiple threads, but if you DJ'ed from a laptop, had a projector, and the name of the current song was posted on the bottom of the video content. That could be helpful. "NOW PLAYING: Oscar Peterson - C-Jam Blues"

12bars

#13 Post by 12bars » Thu May 06, 2004 11:42 am

Nando wrote:I just think it's a flashy way for the DJ to show he and talk and mix music at the same time.
i dont think that is the reason at all; ill ask butch why he does it.

what i noticed was done in a way that didnt intrupt either the flow of the set, or the dancing. most people are talking and finding a partner at the begining of the song anyway. that said, shaggers are far more social than we are. shag is about hanging out first and dancing 2nd. i do like the bit about remember your bartenders.

Lars

announcing songs

#14 Post by Lars » Sun May 09, 2004 5:46 am

Just a little OT but,
Here in Milwaukee we have a band leader that will talk for 5 mins. or more about each and every song! This is interesting for about one song then it's like, " Shut The F*ck Up! and play something!" Image

kbuxton

Re: announcing songs

#15 Post by kbuxton » Mon May 10, 2004 10:11 am

Lars wrote:Just a little OT but,
Here in Milwaukee we have a band leader that will talk for 5 mins. or more about each and every song! This is interesting for about one song then it's like, " Shut The F*ck Up! and play something!"
We've got one that's worse. He does that while mumbling so you can't understand more than every third word either!