Are you an "opener" or a "closer"?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

kitkat

#16 Post by kitkat » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:33 am

I am a huge dork, and I shouldn't admit this, but maybe it'll help some people with phobias of going after someone else.

They're taped to my wall right by my monitor so I can flip them up and see the song (written lightly in pencil so I can't read it before I flip) on the back. I haven't gotten around to making many, as you can see, but I'll probably finish it up this summer. I have many riffs notated already on scratch paper in my binder; I just haven't taken the time to cut out little flash cards.

Find your own notation style, of course, but keep it simple. Look up every once in a while and see if you can name all your riffs. You don't have to know every riff from a song--you just have to be able to recognize the song at some point while you're dancing to it.

(By the way, that's Cottontail, Tiger Rag, Jeep Jockey Jump, One O'Clock Jump, Rockin' in Rhythm, and Jeep is Jumpin'.)

gatorgal

#17 Post by gatorgal » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:32 am

Katie - all I can say is :shock: ! My head hurts already...
swinginstyle wrote:Just thinking about this subject gives me a headache. My worst fear as a closer, or just following someone is duplicating a song already played. My memory sucks and I don't retain things easily.
I try to help out whoever (whomever?) comes after me by writing down the songs I play to avoid duplication. Although one of our DJs is notorious for ignoring my lists and playing duplicates whenever he wants. Oh well...

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Nate Dogg

#18 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:10 am

kitkat wrote:I am a huge dork, and I shouldn't admit this, but maybe it'll help some people with phobias of going after someone else.

They're taped to my wall right by my monitor so I can flip them up and see the song (written lightly in pencil so I can't read it before I flip) on the back. I haven't gotten around to making many, as you can see, but I'll probably finish it up this summer. I have many riffs notated already on scratch paper in my binder; I just haven't taken the time to cut out little flash cards.

Find your own notation style, of course, but keep it simple. Look up every once in a while and see if you can name all your riffs. You don't have to know every riff from a song--you just have to be able to recognize the song at some point while you're dancing to it.

(By the way, that's Cottontail, Tiger Rag, Jeep Jockey Jump, One O'Clock Jump, Rockin' in Rhythm, and Jeep is Jumpin'.)

Why do we want to do this again? This will help us avoid playing songs that have the same riffs in them?

Not that I really understand any of that. I have not had to read music since junior high.

Nate Dogg

#19 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:15 am

In regards to closing, it is a good idea to be around for the previous set. That will help you avoid playing duplicate tracks. I am almost always around, since that is my dance time, hearing the other DJ's set is a bonus.

That being said, I have never seen anybody have their night ruined because of a duplicate song.

I also will write my set list down and let the next DJ look at it. That will also help, if you like to track your set lists.

Nathan

kitkat

#20 Post by kitkat » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:14 am

Nate Dogg wrote:Why do we want to do this again? This will help us avoid playing songs that have the same riffs in them?
No; it was in response to swinginstyle's post about being afraid of playing the same song as someone else in the same night (assuming the other DJ doesn't leave a set list).

If someone (non-DJ) can recognize a song simply by having been out dancing and having heard the same old songs time and again, then I feel like I should be able to identify it, too.

What my post was really saying was: flash cards are a good way to learn just about anything! (No matter how you write them)

mousethief

#21 Post by mousethief » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:20 am

kitkat wrote: What my post was really saying was: flash cards are a good way to learn just about anything! (No matter how you write them)
Hell yeah! I use flash cards to organize everything, from my upcoming Yehoodi Radio show to my spell list for my Cleric 6/Inquisitioner 3/Divine Disciple 1/Contemplate 1/Sacred Exorcist 4.

*bigger geek*

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

gatorgal

#22 Post by gatorgal » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:27 am

kitkat wrote: No; it was in response to swinginstyle's post about being afraid of playing the same song as someone else in the same night (assuming the other DJ doesn't leave a set list).
BTW, am I in the minority on this one? Does everyone forgo set lists because they're doing the night solo or they think they're just dorky?
mousethief wrote:Hell yeah! I use flash cards to organize everything, from my upcoming Yehoodi Radio show to my spell list for my Cleric 6/Inquisitioner 3/Divine Disciple 1/Contemplate 1/Sacred Exorcist 4.

*bigger geek*
See, Katie... don't you feel better? Kalman is indeed the bigger dork. :)

Kalman, when is your show coming to a computer near us?

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

mousethief

#23 Post by mousethief » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:31 am

I'm a big fan of set lists.

And June.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Nate Dogg

#24 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:45 am

gatorgal wrote:BTW, am I in the minority on this one? Does everyone forgo set lists because they're doing the night solo or they think they're just dorky?

In my case, neither, if I fail to write down my set list, it is either because I was feeling lazy or I did not have pen and paper handy.

Nathan

Nando

#25 Post by Nando » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:53 pm

I don't write set lists, but if I know the DJ who is following me and I'm familiar with their style I'll try and clue them into a couple of songs.

For example, if the DJ following me is a big Gene Harris fan, I'll make sure he knows if I played any specific GH tunes. Not that I'll try and play songs that mimics the others style. But just in case I do, I like to warn the DJ just in case.

sonofvu

#26 Post by sonofvu » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:01 pm

Man, being the opener can be tough. I was the first dj on Thursday for the Great Southwest lindy fest. Talk to Kevin Schaper sometime. He has a nickname for me now. It was tough because it was my first major event exposure but also I did not know what to expect from the dancers. As the dancers filed in they got registered and then they headed for the dance floor. I played some 180 bpm old school stuff. Nothing. Then played some late 40's early 50's hi-fi stuff that hovered about 120 bpm. Nothing. That's when I got a beat down by the organizers (they told me to find a happy medium). Vocals did it. Old School and 50's vocals is what worked. Opening is tough. You don't have much time to get to know the audience. It can be done but whenever I open there are always some anxious moments for me.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

julius

#27 Post by julius » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:14 pm

if i got thrown into that situation (god forbid) i'd probably choose something everybody knows and is intimately familiar with and doesn't hate viciously. like "easy does it" or "c jam blues" or "shiny stockings". come to think of it i'm not sure i own the latter tune(!)

mousethief

#28 Post by mousethief » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:15 pm

julius wrote:if i got thrown into that situation (god forbid) i'd probably choose something everybody knows and is intimately familiar with and doesn't hate viciously. like "easy does it" or "c jam blues" or "shiny stockings". come to think of it i'm not sure i own the latter tune(!)
You bum. It's on Frankie's Really Swingin' CD.

Kalman

sonofvu

#29 Post by sonofvu » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:53 pm

julius wrote:if i got thrown into that situation (god forbid) i'd probably choose something everybody knows and is intimately familiar with and doesn't hate viciously. like "easy does it" or "c jam blues" or "shiny stockings". come to think of it i'm not sure i own the latter tune(!)
That's what I should have done but I didn't. Here is the set list. It is not in sequential order as I was thrashing about and people were coming up to the dj booth and asking questions like "How do I turn on the stage lights?". It was crazy.

• D Natural Blues - Lucky Millinder
    Fish Market - Roy Eldridge
    I Want A Tall Skinny Papa - Lucky Millinder
    Music At Midnight - Spike Hughes & His Negro Orch.
    Sepian Bounce - Jay McShann
    Just Squeeze Me - Lou Rawls
    Jive At Five - Count Basie
    New Style Baby - Jay McShann and his Orchestra
    Everything He Lacks (Everything You Like) - Camille Howard
    Till Tom Special - Lionel Hampton
    Lean Baby - Illinois Jacquet
    Soft Winds - Erskine Hawkins
There was also a lot of first night stuff going on. That's why the set list is about 40 min. long. All in all it was a good experience but I still prefer to close. Live and learn.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

djstarr

#30 Post by djstarr » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:22 pm

I refuse to believe that you don't own any copies of shiny stockings; your CD collection beats mine by a couple of rooms full and i have 3 or 4 different versions of it.