Are you an "opener" or a "closer"?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Dr. Feelgood

#46 Post by Dr. Feelgood » Mon May 10, 2004 5:32 pm

Hey Tina!!!

Lots of positive responses...good for you! Now, remember
what I said to you before you left Atlanta?

Trust yourself.

gatorgal

#47 Post by gatorgal » Tue May 11, 2004 8:04 am

Dr. Feelgood wrote:Hey Tina!!!

Lots of positive responses...good for you! Now, remember
what I said to you before you left Atlanta?

Trust yourself.
Thanks for reminder. It is always appreciated.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

mousethief

#48 Post by mousethief » Tue May 11, 2004 8:07 am

I told her to shake her Honey Bunz.

My advice was better for all the world (to see).

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

gatorgal

#49 Post by gatorgal » Tue May 11, 2004 8:48 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tina 8)

Greg Avakian

#50 Post by Greg Avakian » Tue May 25, 2004 7:28 pm

I like doing anything. And I'm always nervous about it anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

If you are starting the night, it is a very good idea to go with friendly, familliar music. Alot of people don't want to be the first dancers on the floor, so it's best to make it easy for them.

Starting out with obscure vintage stuff is definitely a mistake -unless of course you know that people in that community like that. Same thing goes for way out noodle-y groove. If you have some cool songs that you know work virtually every time, then you can try that. Just to stress this point: not songs that you like, but rather songs that everyone likes.

Remember that you are there to serve the dancers, not show off your music collection. A lot of DJs spin for the 'cool' people in the room or to impress other DJs. Not a good idea -the best way to make an impression is by filling the floor.

BTW, I love going after Rayned or Jesse! They give you the room! They are also both such cool people and are very supportive to newbie DJs (and not so newbie DJs too).

gatorgal

#51 Post by gatorgal » Wed May 26, 2004 6:00 am

Greg Avakian wrote: BTW, I love going after Rayned or Jesse! They give you the room! They are also both such cool people and are very supportive to newbie DJs (and not so newbie DJs too).
I haven't had to follow them... but I agree they are very supportive. :)

Tina 8)

Bob the Builder

#52 Post by Bob the Builder » Sun May 29, 2005 11:16 pm

Just revisiting the original question in this thread

I have done a lot of opening and closing. They are both important and either should not be taken lightly. I often get the impression that some DJ’s think the first set is not important and can be done by the newbie DJ. I have a definite line of thought that if you get the first half hour of the night working well, the rest will be easy.

Brian

Greg Avakian

#53 Post by Greg Avakian » Mon May 30, 2005 11:04 am

I kinda agree Brian, but the reason most promoters put less emphasis on the first DJ is that people are always late. Newbies tend to show up first and then the more experienced dancers.

If you have a newer DJ who may not be used to an 'exchange crowd', then they might do a lot better DJing for the (more local) newbies and others who show up earlier.

Also, in defense of newbie DJs, it might seem a lot more comfortable to spin when the room isn't quite as full. In some cases, having an inexperienced DJ at the height of the night might mean a mass-exodus to the Blues room ...seeing that happen might really bum some newbie DJs out.
Hey, my e-mail's changed, here's the new one:
SwingDJ@gmail.com
About me: www.geocities.com/swingboypa

Bob the Builder

#54 Post by Bob the Builder » Mon May 30, 2005 7:14 pm

Yes, I'd agree with you there.
I personally like the idea that Newbie DJ's to start off at smaller events. They can go a bit wild and learn lesson very quickly. We all were newbie’s at one stage and the right environment is always a great help to them. I think throwing them in at the deep end is not good for anyone, including the dancing patrons.
So when the they are not so "New" then they can get out there and show their tallent at larger events.

Brian :D

gatorgal

#55 Post by gatorgal » Tue May 31, 2005 11:52 am

I often succumb to the Late Lindy Hopper Syndrome myself, but I also still don't mind doing opening sets. It gives you the opportunity to set the tone for the night and perhaps try out the songs you're unsure of.

Getting the energy level up for the newbies can only benefit the more advanced dancers that show up later on. Opening is a good thing.

Tina 8)

kitkat

#56 Post by kitkat » Tue May 31, 2005 6:42 pm

It wouldn't hurt to ask the promoter to tell the public (on mailing lists or in flyers) who's DJing when if you're an opener. I'll usually show up on time if I know there's someone I love playing right from the get-go.

Just another example of the kind of self-promotion that's good, not egotistical.