Exchanges and their DJs

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

mousethief

#16 Post by mousethief » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:48 am

Understood but Austin had few advantages starting out and Dallas had less than ya'll. KC has a good music scene and they shouldn't be put off by having a small lindy scene; in fact, they should be empowered by the examples set by others.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

mousethief

#17 Post by mousethief » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:49 am

Drew wrote: You will get that National audience if you land McShann. Guaranteed.
I'll pay an extra $50 to see McShann. Hell, I'll pay that just to "see" McShann in person. Even if he's dunking a Dinky Donut.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

wheresmygravy

#18 Post by wheresmygravy » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:15 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:snip... New Orleans is a destination city, people love to go there.... snip....
Hey Kalman, an idea for the next Dallas Exchange. People love to fly THRU DFW Airport, with connections and changing planes and what not. We could have an "THE QUICK FIX, ON YOUR WAY TO A BETTER EXCHANGE" Exchange. You could use your layover time to dance a couple of songs before going to where you really want to go.... :lol:

I think it will work......Of course, Fridays and Mondays would be the most popular days.

mousethief

#19 Post by mousethief » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:30 pm

wheresmygravy wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:snip... New Orleans is a destination city, people love to go there.... snip....
Hey Kalman, an idea for the next Dallas Exchange. People love to fly THRU DFW Airport, with connections and changing planes and what not. We could have an "THE QUICK FIX, ON YOUR WAY TO A BETTER EXCHANGE" Exchange. You could use your layover time to dance a couple of songs before going to where you really want to go.... :lol:

I think it will work......Of course, Fridays and Mondays would be the most popular days.
Man, why don't you yell at Nate Dogg? He said it, not me.

Kalman

mousethief

#20 Post by mousethief » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:32 pm

I like signs that say "Head or Gut?"

Kalman

Nate Dogg

#21 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:29 pm

mousethief wrote:
wheresmygravy wrote:

Man, why don't you yell at Nate Dogg? He said it, not me.

Kalman
Said what?

I never wrote anything about Dallas, I love Dallas, fun town.

My point was that a small scene is not an advantage, it is a disadvantage that can be overcome by other things. Being a destination city helps, just a fact of life. There are not that many destination cities out there, New Orleans is one, check out all the conventions it gets.

But, if you want to yell at me for slighting Big D, feel free.

Nathan

mousethief

#22 Post by mousethief » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:34 pm

I'm just passing the buck. I don't need Jerry yelling at me - have you seen the size of his hands?

Kalman

wheresmygravy

#23 Post by wheresmygravy » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:49 pm

mousethief wrote: Man, why don't you yell at Nate Dogg? He said it, not me.

Kalman
Naw, man, I am just trying to figure out a hook for Dallas to attract people. We got no musical heritage (except Deep Ellum Blues history), we got very few really good dancers, and we're a bunch of snobs.

But what we do got is a BIG ASS AIRPORT that lots of people visit every month....

Besides my hands a short and fat, you got those big ET-fingers.... :twisted:

mousethief

#24 Post by mousethief » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:50 pm

Snobs.

We got Don West!

Kalman

Kyle

#25 Post by Kyle » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:01 pm

Dude

You have Hank Hill my brotha!

How much more heritage do you need?

gatorgal

#26 Post by gatorgal » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:50 am

Great... the "King of the Hill" exchange. Where do I get my propane tank and Cowboys season tickets? :)

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Kyle

#27 Post by Kyle » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:32 am

I sell Propane and Propane Accessories

hypr_chik

#28 Post by hypr_chik » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:18 am

Yeah Kalman, but would you have come to Canada to see McShann?

July 2-3, Jay "Hootie" McShann & Junior Mance played a two pianos gig at The Montreal Bistro http://www.montrealbistro.com . Its a small club... entrance was mebbe $30 CAD (I don't remember cause I gladly paid it) and teh food and drink was great too. No dancing but who cares?

mousethief

#29 Post by mousethief » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:34 am

?

That was like a million years ago.

Kalman

hypr_chik

#30 Post by hypr_chik » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:22 am

Kalman, if just over a month was like a million years ago my friend, then that would make you ten-thousand years older than sand!

I've always been an advocate for showing off the city of the exchange. What makes the city unique? Do things dance and non-dance that are fun and social that show off your city. That could mean dacning at the local bowling alley, having local foods available, getting local jazz/blues radio stations involved, trying to use historical ballrooms, using themes made famous by the city/state etc., having an afternoon dance in a town square, in a major park, by the lake/river/at the beach, dancing atop the CN tower *wink*. What is steriotypcial to your scene?

Please hire and support bands from your own city and surrounding area! Have as many as your budget can manage, or however many you can find that you feel will work. By supporting regular bands or discovering new ones in the area you end up helping your scene. Finding that new gem of a band or mebbe changing the attitude of the bands for haveing a better working relationship etc... can be quite a valuable thing.

Also don't forget the local and area people who help support you... IMHO, this DOES include the DJs. It can really tick a local (and area) DJ off by not being included/or considered till late in the game ie/ afterthought for an exhange in his or her own area. Even if you think its a given thing, Ask! As no one likes to feel slighted, unappreciated or taken for granted.

(Yikes, just thought I'd remind people that I have been helping out with soooo many exchanges in the last 3-4 years and am not necessacarily talking about TO or my own experience there.)
Last edited by hypr_chik on Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.