Off Your Game?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Platypus

#16 Post by Platypus » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:26 pm

How about a Sesame-street inspired theme: "This set was brought to you by the letter A and the number Five." So, you could choose songs or artists that start with a specific letter of the alphabet. Or limit yourself to a certain track number on all your CDs (as Rayned suggested this past weekend) or songs that contain that number in the title.

Swifty

#17 Post by Swifty » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:55 pm

julius wrote:I like how your new avatar isn't afraid to demonstrate your horribly thinning hair to the world at large. That takes guts. I salute you.

*combs his lustrous, dark hair*
Hey, the thinning is going anything but horribly, thank you very much. I'm actually thinning at a record pace. It's like my scalp got the equivalent of a gastric bypass or something.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I usually distract the dance floor by blinding them with the reflection off of my shiny head and then play some ridiculously horrible song. The following song then sounds amazing regardless of what I put on.

Doug

#18 Post by Doug » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:20 pm

I play something sufficiently horrible that it not only clears the floor, but the whole venue. Then I leave.

mousethief

#19 Post by mousethief » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:59 am

In Albuquerque, that's what - 3-4 people?

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Doug

#20 Post by Doug » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:23 am

When we're lucky

Toon Town Dave

#21 Post by Toon Town Dave » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:47 am

If I'm having an off night and the crowd doesn't get into anything I play, I just try my best and hope the next night is better. Usually it is.

I find it much more difficult spinning for an unfamiliar crowd. I've only DJ'd out of town once and had a tough time keeping the floor crowded. It was mostly beginners (not really newbies but relatively new) that are used to a lot of jump blues. I just never managed to click more than one song at a time. How do the rest of you adjust to a new crowd?

djstarr

#22 Post by djstarr » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:27 pm

I've found playing very familiar easy to dance to songs will help get people dancing, once they are dancing you can stretch out a little bit more. These are tunes like "Mack the Knife", "Goody Goody", "Whistle Stop", "Take the A Train", "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" -- i.e. classic songs that even people who don't do swing dancing or listen to much jazz can hum along to.

Although at times it feels like I'm spoon feeding it helps the crowd warm up, then I can go play stuff that is not as familiar and they will keep dancing.