Video dj'ing with clips

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

wheresmygravy

#16 Post by wheresmygravy » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:50 am

jerry, are the videos on the basie dvd complete songs? if they are, i think i might pick that one up assuming that the sound quality is any good. we have a projector that i can use on a saturday night dance, i may try my luck at using the dvd player as an external source. I have done it before and it worked pretty well. I have several videos from classic blues to diana krall. i even have brian setzer live in japan, but that one will probably get left at home :twisted: But i have no classic jazz. I think BET put out some Joe Williams videos also???

Jerry_Jelinek

#17 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:47 am

wheresmygravy wrote:jerry, are the videos on the basie dvd complete songs? if they are, i think i might pick that one up assuming that the sound quality is any good. we have a projector that i can use on a saturday night dance, i may try my luck at using the dvd player as an external source. I have done it before and it worked pretty well. I have several videos from classic blues to diana krall. i even have brian setzer live in japan, but that one will probably get left at home :twisted: But i have no classic jazz. I think BET put out some Joe Williams videos also???
Here is the list of artists on that DVD:

1126 VARIOUS ARTISTS BANDS, VOLUME 2 w/Count Basie, Fats Waller, Louis Armstrong, Joe Turner, Henry 'Red' Allen, Gene Krupa, Lucky Millinder, Bill ' Bojangles' Robinson Material from short films and soundies.

The Basie section, as all of these are, feature complete soundies from 40s. The Basie I was a wee bit dissapointed in.

This was my bias. The quality of the sound and video sync'g on the Basie was poor at best. Now remember these were done prior to being able to easily make a 'music video'.

The producers would record the music first, then the band would ghost the video to the recorded music. For some reason, the Basie soundies were very poorly sync'd together.

Now the music is good, and if your not concerned about having a good sync, then it is fine.

I find the Fats Waller stuff much better, along with the Lucky Millinder. In the Lucky Millinder section, there is some performances by Sister Rosetta Tharpe that I really enjoy.

The best series of video shorts that I have seen are the GORGEOUS Vitaphone musical shorts done on laser disc. These are 10+ hours of fantastic musical shorts done between the 1930s and 1950s. If your ever in Cleveland, drop me a note. I love sharing these videos with music fans.