The incessant talker

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Nando

#16 Post by Nando » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:10 pm

Is he still wearing his pance when he's in the booth with you?

Nando

#17 Post by Nando » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:11 pm

Seriously, if he's going to tie up your time at the booth, make him buy you a drink. He'll go away for a bit, and maybe when he realizes he's wasting your time and his money, he'll limit his time.

Otherwise, just tell him, "Unless you're gonna propose, you should let me do my job."

Or just have Kalman stare him down.

gatorgal

#18 Post by gatorgal » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:23 am

djstarr wrote:Because of your admirer or because of the NCAA results? I wasn't paying attention and actually put Florida in my next round <my bad>. We got no less than 3 teams from Wash state in the big dance tho (UW which is my alma mater, Gonzaga, and East. Washington (which is pretty much in the same town as Gonzaga, looks like there is something brewing in Spokane).
Let's not talk about my bracket. What happened to Zaga and Stanford??? Damn! It's a good thing I don't put any money on this thing... :)
djstarr wrote: I like people to interact and chatter with me; but I also have the ability to get a panicked look on my face and turn my back to them when I see I only have a minute left and the next song isn't cued up....
I like a certain amount of interaction, but because I'm on the organizing committee, any long conversations get into discussions about what we can do to improve the scene or how the AC isn't cold enough. Which is fine when I'm not dancing or DJing, but most people just don't know when or when not to break the fourth wall, so to speak. I'm probably developing a thin skin, but it really irks me.
Nando wrote:Is he still wearing his pance when he's in the booth with you?
Ha. Ha. I like the idea of employing Kalman as my bodyguard though. I have to see the "stare" in action though.... :)

Tina
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

mousethief

#19 Post by mousethief » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:03 am

Oh no, don't get me involved. I'll find out who he be and then make sure there's a drink waiting for him, "compliments of the lady DJ."

Something with gin, I would think.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Platypus

#20 Post by Platypus » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:06 am

Now that Lindyfest is over, I actually have a few minutes to think.

He might think that he is being really nice to keep you company and keep you from getting bored, being "away from the action" by "sacrificing your time" to be in the booth. I have had quite a few people think that it must be a hardship to DJ, since I have to give up dance time in order to do it. It often surprises them that I enjoy DJing. And it surprises them that it takes much more time and concentration than they would expect. They usually underestimate what we do.

Acknowledging good intentions is never a bad move. If you appreciate the gesture, and THEN direct him to channel his support in a different manner, it might work.

How about something like: "I enjoy our conversations and appreciate that you always want to ensure that I don't get lonely up here in the booth, but I have trouble keeping up my side of a conversation while I am DJing. I am concerned that I might sound like I am brushing you off, and that wasn't my intention (even if it was!). It takes quite a bit of my concentration to DJ. I keep track of the BPM that is played, try to ensure that I am playing a variety of music that will please all of our attendees, and keep an eye on the crowd's reactions and moods, so that I can shift what I am doing at a moment's notice (feel free to add in more details here). I was wondering if we could continue this conversation after my shift, when I can be a little more focused on what you are saying?"

It really doesn't hurt to do stuff like mentioning how much time or energy something takes, especially if you are dealing with someone who is clueless. Knowing how obsessive most DJs here are, you won't need to embellish much. And to add something like, "I even read SwingDJs daily to ensure that I am keeping up with the national trends in swing music and can learn from the wisdom of DJs such as (insert names he might respect here)." Works like a charm.

Oh, and if you offer to speak with him later, make sure that you redirect him while he is talking about swing-related stuff, otherwise you might get stuck having to discuss the middle east for an hour. :lol:

Good luck!!

sonofvu

#21 Post by sonofvu » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:12 pm

You know, from your post I did not get that this dude is enamored with you or anything like that. It just seems to me that he does not realize that he is messing with you while you are working. But then again I'm oblivious to that sort of thing. This is a hard one. I figure that there has got to be a diplomatic way of saying "I'm working here and I can not concentrate because my attention is divided, so... go away".
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

Yakov

#22 Post by Yakov » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:22 pm

bring a big knife next time you DJ.
every time he shows up, chop off one of his fingers.
eventually he will get the point.

-yakov.

gatorgal

#23 Post by gatorgal » Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:30 am

Yakov wrote:bring a big knife next time you DJ.
every time he shows up, chop off one of his fingers.
eventually he will get the point.

-yakov.
Damn, man... that's just cold. :)

Tina 8)

Greg Avakian

#24 Post by Greg Avakian » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:44 am

I'd say a combo of the above:

Look busy looking through book and wearing headphones

Only respond with Umhmmm or Hmmmm....

Say I'm really sorry and I hope this isn't rude -but I suck at talking and DJing at the same time; I've got to keep my mind on the DJing, so can we talk later?
As he's leaving shout something like "save me a dance!"

Make sure you ask him to dance at the end of your set and repeat that you hope you weren't rude and that you really appreciate him being so understanding and all...

mousethief

#25 Post by mousethief » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:17 am

Make out with Nando.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

gatorgal

#26 Post by gatorgal » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:45 am

mousethief wrote:Make out with Nando.

Kalman
Ha. Freakin'. Ha. :)

Tina 8)

mark0tz

#27 Post by mark0tz » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:36 am

ahaha... oh by the way Tina Davis rocks. That's the end of my story.
Mike Marcotte

julius

#28 Post by julius » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:15 am

well did you ever solve this issue? what's with not updating us?

gatorgal

#29 Post by gatorgal » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:39 am

mark0tz wrote:ahaha... oh by the way Tina Davis rocks. That's the end of my story.
Right back at'cha babe! :D
Thanks for the kudos and the dances...

Tina 8)

gatorgal

#30 Post by gatorgal » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:42 am

julius wrote:well did you ever solve this issue? what's with not updating us?
:)

Actually, I haven't been able to. The incessant talker wasn't at last week's dance... he had already left for the Atlanta Exchange.

I avoided him like the plague in Atlanta... but I did point him out to mousethief and we had a nice chuckle over it. Kalman also showed me "the stare"... very intimidating indeed. Well, it was after I stopped laughing. :)

This week at our Thursday dance will be the first time I can implement everyone's advise. Stay tuned.

Tina 8)