DJ Battles

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Roy

DJ Battles

#1 Post by Roy » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:29 am

I'm curious do you like DJ battles? Why or why not? and in what kind of format? If there is just 2 people battling on a night does that make a difference in your opinions compared to a mega contest in which there are a group of DJ's battling in one night?

gatorgal

#2 Post by gatorgal » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:50 am

I've never participated in one, so I have to ask the question, "What is a DJ battle?"

You know, as opposed to two DJs just switching songs back and forth in a fun way...

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Roy

#3 Post by Roy » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:55 am

I should say a competitive DJ battle which can be done several ways but in the end there is a winner usually based on audience applause.

mity

#4 Post by mity » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:24 am

i witnessed a few. none of them were anything special.

i think the best way is to limit each DJ to specific artist, era, year etc.

mousethief

#5 Post by mousethief » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:53 am

Yeah, most DJ battles are not as spectacular as the hype around them. If the DJs are too close in philosophy or style, it's like having the same guy all night. If they're too far apart, you end up alienating half of the room half of the night.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

yedancer

#6 Post by yedancer » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:22 am

Sometimes they can be awesome. I recently DJd with JC who has a pretty different style of DJing than me. We both played a lot of stuff that we wouldn't normally have played, and it ended up being a great night. We received dozens of comments about how much people enjoyed the music, which usually doesn't happen. In fact, everyone said that the music was so good they would rather listen to me DJ than live music any day.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

mousethief

#7 Post by mousethief » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:32 am

Oh, now you're in trouble.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

yedancer

#8 Post by yedancer » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:14 pm

:lol:
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

KevinSchaper

#9 Post by KevinSchaper » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:31 pm

When Kevin Tamura and I do 'em it's really just cooperative - the only competition is over who gets the most "Damn, what was that?" questions..

falty411

#10 Post by falty411 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:06 pm

yedancer wrote: In fact, everyone said that the music was so good they would rather listen to me DJ than live music any day.
hahaha, was it at lindy groove?
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

gatorgal

#11 Post by gatorgal » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:22 pm

mousethief wrote:Yeah, most DJ battles are not as spectacular as the hype around them. If the DJs are too close in philosophy or style, it's like having the same guy all night. If they're too far apart, you end up alienating half of the room half of the night.

Kalman
*ahem*

What have I told you about this?? :)

Tina 8)

mousethief

#12 Post by mousethief » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:28 pm

gatorgal wrote:
mousethief wrote:Yeah, most DJ battles are not as spectacular as the hype around them. If the DJs are too close in philosophy or style, it's like having the same guy all night. If they're too far apart, you end up alienating half of the room half of the night.

Kalman
*ahem*

What have I told you about this?? :)

Tina 8)
I cain't recall. Was it before or after I asked for that sammich?

*ducks*

Kalman

gatorgal

#13 Post by gatorgal » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:39 pm

Remind me to smack you around some in Atlanta. :)

Tina 8)

mousethief

#14 Post by mousethief » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:54 pm

That's a real DJ battle!!!

Kalman

djstarr

#15 Post by djstarr » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:38 pm

as a DJ I think they are interesting, but for the average dancer an actual battle is not that interesting, and sometimes it results in worse music if there is a temptation to showboat.

I think it's better to have two DJ's play off each other, ala Kevin and Kevin, rather than have an actual battle.