A crazy theory about DJing and musicality

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Lawrence

#31 Post by Lawrence » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:42 pm

Roy wrote:This can't be pinned on Steven, I recall driving him from SF to Oakland about 3 years ago, and he was complaining how dancers were trying to hit everything in the music. He never taught it, never supported, and never dance like that.
Steven has unintentionally taught many things that later developed into nationwide bad habits. It is almost an inevitable a part of being suddenly influential. He's also not the only one.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

falty411

#32 Post by falty411 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:07 am

Lawrence wrote:It is almost an inevitable a part of being suddenly influential.
Suddenly influential? The past 20 years is suddenly?
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

mousethief

#33 Post by mousethief » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:52 am

Yeah, didn't Steven play a pivotal role in reviving Lindy Hop stateside?

Kalman

Greg Avakian

#34 Post by Greg Avakian » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:51 pm

Well, having read this thread, I think it's clear that there are a lot of reasons that this has occured. Each argument has merit.

As for you Julius, I watched you dancing in Denver and really enjoyed it. You looked like you were having a good time. When we let go of the politics and the "shoulds", the good time is the bottom line.

As an intentionally "busy" dancer, I can tell you my absolute favorite part of dancing is when I am just "with" someone's body and feet. The best is feeling a great connection and trading 4s or 8s with a really good follower when we're both paying attention to each other and the music.

Right or wrong, when I "call & respond" with someone based on the rhythm and the mellody, I'm in paradise.

falty411

#35 Post by falty411 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:39 pm

i like to swingout
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

julius

#36 Post by julius » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:16 am

hey i owe you a drink greg. thanks for that booze after i challenged tyler, nothing like an alcohol buzz after an adrenaline shot, haha.