Establishing yourself...or maybe "breaking in"?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

jmatthew

Establishing yourself...or maybe "breaking in"?

#1 Post by jmatthew » Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:32 pm

So, my question is, any tips for establishing oneself as an actual DJ versus "random guy with music that's willing to try to keep the crowd happy"?

I've done two events so far, both of which went really well, kept the floor pretty full except for a few songs that were specifically aimed at a small chunk of the crowd, been asked back by one place, but I'm curious if anyone has any tips on become as respected as, like, Kevin Shaper. :)
I'm not an obsessive personality. I just happen to pick hobbies that seem to consume my life.

www.lindyguy.com

Lawrence

Re: Establishing yourself...or maybe "breaking in"

#2 Post by Lawrence » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:31 am

jmatthew wrote:So, my question is, any tips for establishing oneself as an actual DJ versus "random guy with music that's willing to try to keep the crowd happy"?

I've done two events so far, both of which went really well, kept the floor pretty full except for a few songs that were specifically aimed at a small chunk of the crowd, been asked back by one place, but I'm curious if anyone has any tips on become as respected as, like, Kevin Shaper. :)
Don't tell anyone what you REALLY think, just amuse those around you. :|
Last edited by Lawrence on Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Roy

#3 Post by Roy » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:26 am

Take every oppurtunity you get to DJ even if it costs you money and you don't get paid. If you do a good job over time people will get to know your DJ style and name.

The quickest way is to open your own dance event and DJ there, or you can buy an expensive portable system in which people might come to you for it and you can offer to bring it to an event if you can DJ part of that event. Otherwise patience is a virtue.

yedancer

#4 Post by yedancer » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:25 am

Lawrence wrote:Don't tell anyone what you REALLY think, just amuse those around you. :-)
HAHA! Exactly.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Swifty

#5 Post by Swifty » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:55 am

Roy wrote:Take every oppurtunity you get to DJ even if it costs you money and you don't get paid.
This is the exact reason why event organizers think it's okay to shaft DJs. Why treat a DJ well if there's a dozen waiting in the wings who will do it no matter what?

Roy

#6 Post by Roy » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:36 pm

Yep, but sometimes they suffer the consquences of crappy dj's or dj's who all play practicly the same freaking songs. Or play many songs that are played out.

The reality is there are more people who want to dj then spaces avaliable. And many are trying to break in and breaking in requires offereing something that others won't, which in most cases is djing for free.

There a very few dj's who can make money on djing if they continue to buy cd's. continuing to Buy cd's is one thing the best dj's have in common, they are constantly looking for new good dance songs. So, from my perspective I am going to lose money anyway so being paid is really no big deal. It's nice but I am going to lose money anyway on the hobby.

falty411

#7 Post by falty411 » Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:35 pm

if someone does just as good of a job and is willing to do it for free why wouldnt you "hire" the person who will do it for free.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Dj G

#8 Post by Dj G » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:38 am

jmatthew wrote:So, my question is, any tips for establishing oneself as an actual DJ versus "random guy with music that's willing to try to keep the crowd happy"?
DJ because you love it, not because you are willing.

Develop a following, a core group of 10-12 folks who love the way you play or love to party with you. Door sales speak volumes to management, when you are playing or partying.

Learn what works consistently with the majority of your target audience. Either from your own picks or those of other DJ's.

Encourage other DJ's. Give respect=get respect.

Find your own voice (covered in another thread).

Get paid. A real business makes money.

just a few off the top.

G
Yeah, that's Dj G over there; under the CD Bins, digging contently in the 45 rpm box :)

mousethief

#9 Post by mousethief » Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:13 am

• What's your "status" in the scene now?
    Are you an active, popular dancer?
    Are you a member of a local performance group or dance society?
    Do you hold an office or organize events?
Establishing yourself as a DJ is just an extension of who you are in the scene.

I would ask to share nights with DJs. You get to see what works without an up-front investment or risk. You get to ask questions in the moment, without reading it on SwingDJs first. It will help build your book, no matter who you're sharing with. Plus, being introduced and graciously introducing another, better known DJ is always better than just showing up and hitting play.

Walk the floor. Do not dance every song; it's often damned impossible. But walk the floor and talk to people. A few "enjoying the night" or "how are you doin'" comments allow people to access you without having to make a request or otherwise travel up to the booth.

Get paid whenever you can but realize that this is not necessarily going to happen.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

CafeSavoy

#10 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:36 am

falty411 wrote:if someone does just as good of a job and is willing to do it for free why wouldnt you "hire" the person who will do it for free.
i think that is the reasoning used by companies that outsource jobs to foreign countries where wages are cheaper. i think the practice is working so well they are now outsourcing white collar jobs.

mousethief

#11 Post by mousethief » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:53 am

Sprechen sie Yehoodi?

:P

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

CafeSavoy

#12 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:57 am

mousethief wrote:Sprechen sie Yehoodi?

:P

Kalman
i think yehoodi moved to SF not Berlin.

mity

#13 Post by mity » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:04 pm

actually yehoodi moved to swiss-land

CafeSavoy

#14 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:29 pm

mity wrote:actually yehoodi moved to swiss-land
so it's a multinational swing empire?

mousethief

#15 Post by mousethief » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:47 pm

I think the Dutch & the Swedes are resisting. I think Rik is the advance team over there.

They never should have incorporated Texas; we like to take over everything.

Kalman