Anyone here been Swing DJing 10+ Years

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Petitetonya

#16 Post by Petitetonya » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:34 pm

I started djing in 1997...ah, the neo years, there was something kind of innocent and exciting about those times. :wink:

Shorty Dave

#17 Post by Shorty Dave » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:20 am

mousethief wrote:Personally, I would like to keep this all lindy. Nothing like having to sort to get feedback on artists to put me off the boards.
Man, I just got this killer swing song from the latest Backstreet Boys cd. It swings it's ass off! Say what are all y'all's favorite swingin' Britanny songs for DJing?

:lol: :P :lol:

mousethief

#18 Post by mousethief » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:51 am

Case in point.

Personally, I like "The Right Stuff" by New Kids on the Block.

Kalman

junglekid

#19 Post by junglekid » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:31 am

Personally, I've only been djing for about two months, but my teacher (Ron Leslie / Ronnie Slide / Big Ron) worked out the other day that he's been Lindy Hop dancing for just over 20 years now, and so he's been swing DJing for that long minus 1 week. Anyone match that?

There's another chap over here who DJs regularly called Terry who started back in the 60s. Fair enough not swing all that time, but he's been collecting swing since back then at least. He has a ridiculously large collection including some amazing tunes... but he does have an unfortunate predilection to swerve towards Western Swing type bompitty bompitty music if left unattended.

Tom

djstarr

#20 Post by djstarr » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:35 pm

Petitetonya wrote:I started djing in 1997...ah, the neo years, there was something kind of innocent and exciting about those times. :wink:
Adam broke out Stephen Mitchell's "Jitterbug Stroll" last night and Hallie had a projector going with video footage - she put on one of Steven teaching in Seattle back in '97 -- it was very entertaining.

djock

#21 Post by djock » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:26 am

Greg alias GPSwing

Going to give it another try and see if I can make some friends here.

Finally got a club owner to commit to every Thursday night as Swing Nite, believe it or not with a paycheck attached.

Need to learn the crowd and what to give em as they are a very diverse group

Good to make contact again

Ron Wallace

Swingboy

DJ'in over 10 years

#22 Post by Swingboy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:47 pm

Hej DJ's

Well, I guess it all depends how much you want to open the circle. Quite many maybe don't know, that Herrang Dance Camp in Sweden started around 1982. Since about 1986, Lennart Westerlund and later also Jan Forsell got involved and started kind of DJ'ing, when also not continously. Here in Switzerland, the DJ with most service years for sure is DJ Baendlimeier (Peter Meier). He has been spinning for over 25 years on a quite professional base: Boogie Woogie, Rock'n'Roll and Swing. Myself I started in 1992 - so only 14 years on a quite continouse base.... So it's all relative!

Keep on swinging!
DJ Swing'n'Stuff

Spacy

#23 Post by Spacy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:27 am

One local teacher here in Boston (www.rugcutters.com) has been teaching swing since at least the late 50s, and until about 10 years ago when he semi-retired he ran the big swing dance in town.

Just another data point in the "swing didn't happen until the late 90s" hillarity.

julius

#24 Post by julius » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:15 pm

Spacy wrote:Just another data point in the "swing didn't happen until the late 90s" hillarity.
?? who goes around saying that? Here in Southern California (and in New York, of course) there have been large groups of lindy hoppers ever since the end of the war.

Dj G

FINALLY!

#25 Post by Dj G » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:53 am

Two lindy DJ's are on the ballot for the Swing Dj Hall of Fame this year.
http://www.swingdjhof.com

Mr. John Tomeny
Mr. Jesse Miner

Congrats to you both!

greg
Yeah, that's Dj G over there; under the CD Bins, digging contently in the 45 rpm box :)