What is our JOB?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

What is the main job of a swing (lindy hop) DJ?

Keep the dance floor full and the dancers happy
53%
Please the crowd as much as possible without straying too much from the roots of lindy hop
37%
Play SWING music most if not all of the time
11%

Total votes: 19

Mr Awesomer

#16 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:21 pm

My job is to provide Human Resources expertise as it relates to the internal movement of represented employees.

A hobby of mine is picking out music I like and hitting the little green button that says "Play."
Reuben Brown
Southern California

gatorgal

#17 Post by gatorgal » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:53 pm

Jeremy... great points on your last post. Very thoughtful.

Tina 8)

gatorgal

#18 Post by gatorgal » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:55 pm

GuruReuben wrote:My job is to provide Human Resources expertise as it relates to the internal movement of represented employees.
Well, that explains a lot. ;)

Tina 8)

yedancer

#19 Post by yedancer » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:09 pm

The definition of "job" as it relates to the title of this thread would be:

"A task that must be done, a specified duty or responsibility."
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Mr Awesomer

#20 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:29 pm

yedancer wrote:The definition of "job" as it relates to the title of this thread would be:

"A task that must be done, a specified duty or responsibility."
My statement stands then, as I don't see DJing as a task that must be done, nor a duty nor a responsibility. It's just kinda a fun thing to do sometimes.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

julius

#21 Post by julius » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:46 pm

I think the job of the DJ is to take the money and run.

No, wait, I meant

I think the job of the DJ is to play the music they like and hope other people like it too. It is the job of the venue promoter/event director to choose DJs that fit their vision of the music as it relates to the dance.

julius

#22 Post by julius » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:47 pm

Also, Reuben is obviously trivializing his position to make a point. don't friggin take the bait. He's serious about his DJing, he just doesn't see the need to overanalyze it. that's him.

Lawrence

#23 Post by Lawrence » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:08 pm

gatorgal wrote:No, not offensive. The only thing that some of us find offensive is forcing an agenda on your dancers in the name of "educating" them. I personally don't like the moral high-ground that sometimes pervades in these debates. The idea that you are less of a DJ, or shouldn't even call yourself a DJ, if your main purpose in spinning IS NOT to push a crowd towards a particular style or genre of music. I don't like those who berate others for voicing their opinion that making the floor happy; as if it is less of a loftier or legitimate goal. Like we're "playing" DJ. I personally find that sort of arrogance and condesension offensive, insulting and rude.

And besides, you asked us what we though our main job was as a DJ, and there were limiting choices at that. Some have already stated that they found the choices limiting and chose not to vote. You never asked to rank our motivations or reasons for DJing. Education is probably among the top three of a lot of us, just maybe on a sliding scale as we learn and evolve.
I completely agree with everything you wrote.
Reuben wrote:My job is [fill in the blank]

A hobby of mine is picking out music I like and hitting the little green button that says "Play."
I completely agree.

The way the original question is phrased is not only too limited (false dichotomy), but also makes it seem like it is a job, not a hobby. I do "educate" by pushing the limits sometimes to keep it fresh and new, but I also play stuff that people want to hear even if it is not what I would choose to listen to if I were self-indulgent or alone at home. But I also do have self-indulgent moments when I reject a request for a campy, overplayed song that doesn't fit what seems to be working. It's not so one-dimensional.

How about adding, "whatever keeps the party (fun) going?"
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

mousethief

#24 Post by mousethief » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:23 pm

Chocolate sauce. Blues dancing.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Mr Awesomer

#25 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:38 pm

What Julius said.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

djstarr

#26 Post by djstarr » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:25 pm

yedancer wrote:HAHA! Well, what else are we supposed to debate about. What version of "Sing, Sing, Sing" is the best?
good thing I don't bait as easily as some on this board - I got a lot of good info from that thread! ;-)