My first exchange...

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

gatorgal

My first exchange...

#1 Post by gatorgal » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:20 am

SoFlex is just 10 days away... :D and in the midst of the all the stuff I have to do for the exchange and just dealing with life, it's just now weighing on my mind that I'll be DJing my first exchange next week.

Although I've had a few sets here and there at some special events locally and in different events elsewhere, this will be my first time being considered one of the host DJs if you will.

So... any advice, pointers, amusing anecdotes, or painful stories to relate about your first time DJing at an exchange? I would appreciate anything you have to offer.

Thanks!
Tina 8)

BryanC

#2 Post by BryanC » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:22 am

I'll just pass on the advice that was passed to me, "Don't be afraid to clear the floor."

Roy

#3 Post by Roy » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:30 am

Listen to what everyone else is playing and play something different.

Yakov

#4 Post by Yakov » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:39 am

Expanding that to, listen to what everybody is saying on this board and do the opposite.

JesseMiner

#5 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:41 am

My first time DJing at an exchange, or at any other out-of-town event for that matter, was Ithaca in May 2000. It was amazing and inspiring, seeing so many awesome dancers exciting by the same music I love.

Play your favorite music that you think the dancers will love and don't stress about it too much. Exchange crowds are some of my favorite ones to play for, being quite enthusiastic and open-minded when it comes to music. When things click, the music just flows. I really can't describe the feeling, but you'll know it when you feel it. Make it a special event for them, and it will definitely be an unforgettable experience for you.

Jesse

Nate Dogg

#6 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:59 pm

I have found Exchange crowds to be easier to DJ to than other crowds. For the most part, they are enthusiastic and experienced.
They want to dance as much as possible.

You should know by now what music goes over well at SoFlex, what types of dancers show up for it. That knowledge and the study of how the crowd reacts to other DJs sets will be a big help in what you need to do.

As far as listening to everybody on this Board. During your set, people will be looking at you, so do what feels right to you. If the advice on this forum does not make much sense to you, don't test it out for your first Exchange gig. Ultimately, you will be judged for the set, not the person on this forum feeding you his or her advice.

mousethief

#7 Post by mousethief » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:17 pm

Most exchanges I have DJed have been a good match for my style and books, but I would say play to the crowd and trust your own judgment.

It's a learning curve but don't be afraid to walk the floor and talk to other dancers or DJs about the event(s).

Kalman

Shanabanana

#8 Post by Shanabanana » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:40 pm

Something that might make you feel more comfortable is to have a first and last song picked out for your set. That way, you don't have to worry about where to start or where to end. You can always change, but it's always nice to have an idea of where you're going.

You might also want to have a few "can't miss" songs on hand in case you clear the floor or you need to pump up the energy. You know the songs...the ones that make you say, "I love this song! Need to find a partner now!"

Other than that, just have a good time. Play songs that you personally love to dance to and keep an eye on the floor to make sure they're in the mood for what you like. Exchange crowds are very flexible, adventurous, and forgiving. But since every dance might be the *one* dance they get with that fabulous dancer from across the country, they seem to be happier with the familiar than innovation.

Good luck!

coreyj5

#9 Post by coreyj5 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:40 pm

You know what they say, if you're nervous just picture everybody in their underwear. If they're already in their underwear, picture them with clothes on.

I wish I had something to contribute, but I've never DJed at an exchange other than our own. Besides, there's a ton of good advice already on this thread.

Platypus

#10 Post by Platypus » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:42 pm

Having just "done" my first exchange (and, like you, helped run it), I recommend:
1. enough sleep
2. take off TWO days after the exchange if possible
3. someone ELSE to be responsible for organizing stuff starting at least one or two hours before your shift and lasting until after your shift.
4. Don't forget that Girl DJs are cool.

djstarr

#11 Post by djstarr » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:17 pm

Platypus wrote: 3. someone ELSE to be responsible for organizing stuff starting at least one or two hours before your shift and lasting until after your shift.
4. Don't forget that Girl DJs are cool.
ha! My first exchange experience was in Seattle last year; I was so happy to get a slot since there are so many great Dj's in Seattle and near by.

I got the first slot at the outdoor venue on Sunday afternoon (we never have a dance outdoors except for the exchange since it's a big hassle with insurance etc. and the weather normally sucks). It started at 2 p.m.; I stayed up dancing until 4 a.m. the night before then went home and listened to music until 6.

At 10:00 a.m. the phones started ringing "it's pouring down rain and we don't have a tarp"; "should I show up with the tables and chair? it's raining hard!"

I ended up going to the rental place to get a big canopy; the event was downtown Seattle; the guy with the sound equipment was driving up from Tacoma and thinking "if they don't have a tarp I'm not setting up my equipment". We all got downtown around the same time and set everything up; luckily it had stopped raining and the afternoon was fun. I was pretty stressed out until I put the first CD on though ;-)

I had agreed to help be in charge for the afternoon even since I was going to be there anyway to DJ, but in hindsight I think that's a good idea to get someone else to help so you can focus on the music. However, if you are part of the organizing team, sometimes you have to go the extra mile to combat Murphy!

I'm sure you will have a great time though; I also agree that exchange crowds are great to DJ for.

gatorgal

#12 Post by gatorgal » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:44 pm

Hello Kids...

Thanks for all the great advice, well wishes and interesting anecdotes. Unfortunately the one piece of advice I can't follow is keeping my organizing duties separate from my time as a DJ. I'm on the organizing committee as the Volunteer Coordinator, so I will be micromanaging as usual.

Sometimes it sucks to be a Type A personality. :)

Anyway, keep it coming and I'll let you know how it goes when it's over. If I'm still alive then.

Tina 8)

Roy

#13 Post by Roy » Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:22 am

Also if you are the only DJ and there is no "other" room I would stay away from stuff that would be considered outside the norm of what people Lindy Hip too. For example playing more then 1 motown song would not be a good idea. If you are in a multi-room venue the go to it.

Lawrence

#14 Post by Lawrence » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:42 pm

More conservative advice: start slowly (in terms of "pushing it," not in terms of tempo), don't crash with a bang, and just have fun. I completely disagree about listening to what others are playing and playing something different. Play the sort of stuff that you see keeps people on the floor during the other sets. Don't worry about redundancy as much as simply keeping the party going. It is better to strive to not be noticed as a new DJ than to strive to be noticed, only to end up being remembered for your inadvertant mistakes.

Sometimes, experienced DJs with reputations can play Motown or Queen or Elvis and get away with it, whereas it comes off as just odd from a new DJ. Unfair, but the same happens elsewhere. (The cool burnout in high school getting high fives for saying the exact same thing that got you a wedgie.)

With an hour slot, it is easy to play songs you know people will love, and all-too-tempting to push the limits before you are ready to know how to recover quickly.

Having your attention divided by volunteer coordinator duties only makes it that much more adviseable to play it safe and reduce your stress. Speaking from experience, your slot will probably rush up on you and fly by without you really noticing it or having time to really prepare like you might want to.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

main_stem

#15 Post by main_stem » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:47 pm

What ever you do don't play Let's Get it On
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon