the most cds by one artist

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

djstarr

#16 Post by djstarr » Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:08 pm

I have about 10 Harry Connick Jr. CDs; they all predate my swing dancing days --- some of the early stuff with him on piano was very good, perhaps it's time to dust it off?

jmatthew

#17 Post by jmatthew » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:54 pm

I have 7 Ella CD's I just bought for 25 bucks the other day :) Hey, I'm new!

On a related topic, how did most of you go about buying your CDs at the beginning? I see a lot of Ella/Basie/Ellington stuff out there that I'd happily snatch up, but I'm trying to maximize my mix now, figure I can obsess on each particular artist later, but it's kind of a dog not knowing if the cash outlay for another artist is giong to be worth it when it comes time to actually play some music...

I hope that made sense?

Basically, any advice for getting my bang for my buck on these early shopping trips?
I'm not an obsessive personality. I just happen to pick hobbies that seem to consume my life.

www.lindyguy.com

kitkat

#18 Post by kitkat » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:46 pm

Go through the "Swing Music" section of this forum. Look on all the individual artist threads, the "Should I Buy This?" thread, and the "Albums you wish you'd never bought" thread. Write stuff down; carry it in your wallet. When you're at a record shop, you'll know who besides Ella & Basie is good, without having to memorize a million names. Most of these threads will also have links to the DJ recommendation lists--write down albums off those, too. (For example, I believe I found the JiveJunction "Top 25" list on one of these threads.)

Heh...not that I have all the recommended or "don't buy" albums posted up through sometime last fall written in a little book or anything...

:oops:

------------

I think Ellington & Bechet are tied at 9 albums each. Yeah. Small, spread-out collection.

JesseMiner

#19 Post by JesseMiner » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:15 am

jmatthew wrote:Basically, any advice for getting my bang for my buck on these early shopping trips?
I'm pretty sure this question has been answered in detail in the How do you find your new music? thread.
kitkat wrote:Most of these threads will also have links to the DJ recommendation lists--write down albums off those, too. (For example, I believe I found the JiveJunction "Top 25" list on one of these threads.)
These can all be found together in the Links section of this site.

Jesse

BryanC

#20 Post by BryanC » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:17 pm

Eight Slim Galliard CDs.

falty411

#21 Post by falty411 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:20 pm

kitkat wrote:Go through the "Swing Music" section of this forum. Look on all the individual artist threads, the "Should I Buy This?" thread, and the "Albums you wish you'd never bought" thread.
I dont think its a bad thing to start learning which players in which bands you like. If you start learning, for example, you like a lot of Ellington's players, you can then explore artists like Ben Webster, Cootie Williams, Rex Stewart, Barney Bigard, Johnny Hodges, Jimmy Blanton, Billy Strayhorn, etc. Who were all apart of that band, then you can see the different bands each of them were in and what players they had in their other bands, then you find more artists you like. It just expands and expands until you have like 1000 names you know off the top of your head to be looking for. And you also learn about the musicians, which is also cool.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Matthew

#22 Post by Matthew » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:00 pm

Ten or 11 by Basie, depending on how I count (ha!) the one with Duke. I have almost as many by Django, oddly enough (I wouldn't play him nearly as much).

Jerry_Jelinek

#23 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:02 pm

Being a music geek/junkie, here are my top 4 or 5 artists:

Maynard Ferguson - close to 100 CDs, maybe 30 LPs - nearly everything is non-dance music

Stan Kenton - probably 40-50 CDs, 20 or so LP2 - again non-dance

Woody Herman and Duke Ellington are both around 20-30 CDs each

Then after that artists in the 5-15 CDs a piece are fairly common. Heck the mosiac sets will be 4-8 CDs each!!!

I know, not much for you dance DJs here.

djstarr

#24 Post by djstarr » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:58 am

Jerry - any chance you've played trumpet in the past? ;-)

Jerry_Jelinek

#25 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:28 am

djstarr wrote:Jerry - any chance you've played trumpet in the past? ;-)
Brenda, you DO read the tea leaves very well.

I played all through junior high, high school and college. I also played tuba and sousaphone (marching band). I never moved off the 50 yard during my last three years of high school marching band!!! :)

I still enjoy both classical and jazz brass playing. I avidly support the local musicians and especially the music educators. We're very fortunate to have an excellent musical base in Cleveland. For classical music, the Cleveland Orch is the hub that keeps bringing in world class musicians. Combine that with world class music schools and the classical music scene is very rich around here.

For jazz, we have a very extensive group of musicians who are fine players and educators.

So even though I don't play any more, I'm still very much envolved in the local music scene.