DJ Real World

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Shanabanana

#16 Post by Shanabanana » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:47 am

Maybe the correlation is between DJ ability and defensiveness. ;)

Swifty

#17 Post by Swifty » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:06 pm

Shanabanana wrote:Maybe the correlation is between DJ ability and defensiveness. ;)
Ha!

Roy

#18 Post by Roy » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:57 pm

The original post makes 5 accusations:

1-Someone sucks as well as everything he does
2-This same person's knowledge extent is based soley on Allmusic.com
3-People who post on this site allot is also a correlation with bad djing
4-The people who make allot of noise have never heard DJed in the area where these 2 indivudals go and hence that is a reflection of poor DJ ability
5-This board is only about people who quote to each other Allmusic.com

Personally I find it rather offensive even with a thinly veiled attempt at comedy.

Mr Awesomer

#19 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:30 pm

Roy wrote: Personally I find it rather offensive even with a thinly veiled attempt at comedy.
You're far to easily offended then.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

shortyjul

#20 Post by shortyjul » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:43 pm

Roy wrote:The original post makes 5 accusations:

1-Someone sucks as well as everything he does
2-This same person's knowledge extent is based soley on Allmusic.com
3-People who post on this site allot is also a correlation with bad djing
4-The people who make allot of noise have never heard DJed in the area where these 2 indivudals go and hence that is a reflection of poor DJ ability
5-This board is only about people who quote to each other Allmusic.com

Personally I find it rather offensive even with a thinly veiled attempt at comedy.
I also find it offensive that someone sucks and that too many people defensively spout out info off of the internet and veil it as their own discovery...

...but I also find it funny.

Roy

#21 Post by Roy » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:18 pm

I can understand why you would be upset at who I think you may be talking about. but I also find it hard to sypathize to your cause.

It seems that there are a group camp of people who want old school swing music and anything else is offensive. Personally I like listening, dancing, and while djing mixing in traditional swing music. It really bothers me when a DJ plays no traditional swing music at all. But it becomes very hard for some people me included to sympathize with a cause when many people in this camp often use insults to try and get their point across.

A personal discovery is a discovery if you find it off the internet, the radio, a book, or notice it yourself. If someone uses allmusic.com for information does it really matter? Allmusic.com has a ton of great information, no one can go throurh it all and I appreciate it when people have found information off of that site that is relevant to the conversation at hand. But I do understand your point about making it sound like it's your own words. So for me personally when I will use resources from here on out I will post those sources.

julius

#22 Post by julius » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:05 pm

djstarr wrote: And yes, one of the main reasons I'm going to the binge this year is to hear Julius spin........
Speaking of jokes.

djstarr

#23 Post by djstarr » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:04 am

julius wrote:
djstarr wrote: And yes, one of the main reasons I'm going to the binge this year is to hear Julius spin........
Speaking of jokes.
well ok, maybe you aren't the main reason, but I'm looking forward to hearing you ----

and I'm exciting to go CD shopping with you all - that will be fun!

Greg Avakian

#24 Post by Greg Avakian » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:32 am

Man, I almost laughed the soymilk right out of my nose.
Damn Jul, I would have thought you posted that shit at 4 in the morning. Work day got you down? Just had to kill some time before you left?

You -of all people- I shouldn't have to say this to:
Get a life!

Mr Awesomer

#25 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:54 am

of all the people who have no place to be telling someone to get a life...
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Greg Avakian

#26 Post by Greg Avakian » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:41 am

Yeah, you're right as always Reuben, this is a really timely topic that deserves to be archived for all DJs to appreciate and learn from.

Somehow I have this idea that this site is supposed to be above the nonesenseical drivel one finds on Jive Junction and Yehoodi. From talking to Julie, I would have thought she shared that opinion. Frankly, I'm disappointed that you -as a moderator- don't.

My opinion is that veiled put downs don't belong on a board that is supposed to be a place for DJs to share information, ask questions, get advice, and generally support each other. Yes, the occaisional snippy remarks can be a fun distraction, but as a topic in and of itself, this seems out of place to say the least.

Mr Awesomer

#27 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:32 pm

Greg Avakian wrote:My opinion is that veiled put downs don't belong on a board that is supposed to be a place for DJs to share information, ask questions, get advice, and generally support each other.
If that's your opinion, perhaps you should abide by it. Telling someone to "Get A Life" should be the kind of put down you yourself says does not belong here. There is too much sarcasm in the rest of your post to understand what else you were trying to get at, so I’ll just pass on it.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

mousethief

#28 Post by mousethief » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:10 pm

Hell, I can't believe people drink soymilk.

Bleagh.

Kalman

Greg Avakian

#29 Post by Greg Avakian » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:23 pm

There's not much to get Reuben -if you stop trying to read anything into it.

I am seriously surprised that Julie would post this topic here. Particularly in such an indirect way. I'd understand it better if it was a late night "WTF-I'm-too-sleepy-to-have-better-judgement" kind of a thing, but it wasn''t. I surmise that Julie was bored at work since from knowing Julie I'd like to think her common sense would hopefully inhibit that kind of topic (on this board). As I think is indicated, I generally respect Julie's observations (caustic or not) and I think she has better things to do than post that kind of ugly commentary here.

There is no sarcasm intended. Let me state clearly that I am disappointed when this board is used this way. Let me explain something else which you seemed to have missed from what you quoted above: I am very willing to call Julie on her behavior openly -not in a veiled put down.

I am also disappointed that neither you, Jesse nor Rayned care to "moderate" this kind of behavior (at least publicly so far).

As I said, little snippets as a part of a topic (such as your comment about me getting a life) don't bother me, but an entire topic started for the express purpose of jibing someone is a whole different level of put down. Can you at least understand that?

While I appreate your chastising me, I wonder how you -as the only moderator to post here- think this kind of topic serves our community?

Nate Dogg

#30 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:24 pm

How could this thread go any other way?

The thread is about conversation a DJ had with an anonymous DJ thinking other anonymous DJs on this forum suck with reasons why. How can we have a progressive discussion with that as the starting point?

At this point, the thread is just another personal insult thread. More common on other Boards, but found here from time to time.