anonymous bastard: i know he does
juliateter: so retarded
anonymous bastard: case in point
anonymous bastard: so i've got a theory about the swingdjs board
anonymous bastard i need to test it
juliateter: yeah?
juliateter: i haven't read it in weeks
juliateter: what's the theory?
anonymous bastard: the theory is that the quality of a person's DJing is inversely proportional to their post count
juliateter: hahah if that's the case
juliateter: then i RULE
anonymous bastard: the only thing is that i haven't heard ANY of the big loud mouths on there actually spin

juliateter: hahah you know damned well that *** just got online and fucking googled/amg'ed the shit out of him and totally spewed what he found.
anonymous bastard: yes
anonymous bastard: that entire board is just people quoting allmusic.com to one another
juliateter: bullshit
juliateter: inno

Roy

#2 Post by Roy » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:16 am

Your evil

Roy

#3 Post by Roy » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:32 am

I think the point of the board is for DJ's to share ideas. I thn this board does a great job of doing that.

Allmusic is a great resource but it is limited by what you stick in, case and point i was looking for artists with Chicago links, Chicago can not be googled on allmusic, I got some artists from other dj's on this board but I had to do a number of hours of research from other sources to find artists and then went back to allmusic.com to verify information I found elsewhere.

Another thread was; which swing era artists are still with us, this could not be googled on allmusic but if information is found elsewhere it can be verified on allmusic.

But one thing I do have to say about Real world djing is you don't get gigs unless you are connected. For example almost all of my gigs are in Florida of Chicago, but that is where my connections are I used to live in Florida and helped start the Lindy Hop scene there. All gigs outside of that are from people hearing me DJ in one of these 2 locations. And in most cases they are people who have heard me DJ a few times, with at least once in each location. Without my Florida connections I have no doubt that I would never have djed outside of Chicago in the past several years. Another example I have been at a numbe of events within the past year where scores of dj's were playing but I was not invited to spin, no big deal to me I just consider myself not connected enough. But people do come up and ask if I'm spinning this weekend and I just say I'm not connected enought with the decision makers who in most cases are other dj's.

So my point I'm making is you must travel to hear a wide variety DJ's. If you only go to events with traditional swing music dj's it's no duh you don't hear other dj's. Or if you only go to competitions where the same dj's seem to be invited to praticly every one then it's no duh you don't here allot of other dj's. If you stick to only one region of the counrty then it's no duh you don't hear allot of dj's.

yedancer

#4 Post by yedancer » Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:29 am

Actually, Julius is among the top 10 posters on this forum. Hmmm....
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Nate Dogg

#5 Post by Nate Dogg » Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:04 pm

I don't think anybody ever said that post count has anything to do with the quality of DJing. I doubt anybody is going to argue that is does.

Maybe I missed a thread somewhere about that. But, I really don't ever remember anybody taking that stance.

yedancer

Re: DJ Real World

#6 Post by yedancer » Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:29 pm

shortyjul wrote:anonymous bastard: the theory is that the quality of a person's DJing is inversely proportional to their post count
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Shorty Dave

#7 Post by Shorty Dave » Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:24 pm

Post count probably has a lot more to do with how boring your day job is!

CafeSavoy

Re: DJ Real World

#8 Post by CafeSavoy » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:08 pm

yedancer wrote:
shortyjul wrote:anonymous bastard: the theory is that the quality of a person's DJing is inversely proportional to their post count
haha, there's about 75 super awesome djs who are so amazing their post count is zero.

------

It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time.
-Tallulah Bankhead

yedancer

#9 Post by yedancer » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:17 pm

And apparently the worst DJs in the world include Jesse, Rayned, Reuben, and, of course, Julius.
-Jeremy

shortyjul

#10 Post by shortyjul » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:22 pm

Julius has djed ONCE in his life, by the way....

...which supports MY theory is that a post count is completely UNRELATED to one's ability. More specifically, I just think that a vast majority of posts, ESPECIALLY ones that are spent validating one's own quality, are a waste of my time. I DO love posts that explore artists and equipment and share experience. I'd love to see more of that.

P.S. I think Julius will make a hell of a DJ. If he ever gets off his ass. Can't wait for the binge.

yedancer

#11 Post by yedancer » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:02 pm

shortyjul wrote: MY theory is that a post count is completely UNRELATED to one's ability.
I would seriously question the intelligence of anyone who thinks otherwise.
-Jeremy

gatorgal

#12 Post by gatorgal » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:05 pm

Shorty Dave wrote:Post count probably has a lot more to do with how boring your day job is!
That's defintely the case for me.... :)

Tina 8)

djstarr

#13 Post by djstarr » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:13 pm

shortyjul wrote:Julius has djed ONCE in his life, by the way....

...which supports MY theory is that a post count is completely UNRELATED to one's ability. More specifically, I just think that a vast majority of posts, ESPECIALLY ones that are spent validating one's own quality, are a waste of my time. I DO love posts that explore artists and equipment and share experience. I'd love to see more of that.

P.S. I think Julius will make a hell of a DJ. If he ever gets off his ass. Can't wait for the binge.
I thought perhaps you were exploring post count in relationship to how well one can take a joke, but I don't think there is a correlation there either.

And yes, one of the main reasons I'm going to the binge this year is to hear Julius spin........

Bob the Builder

#14 Post by Bob the Builder » Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:00 pm

This is a funny little thread.
All I know is that, I get a lot of answers to my questions on this board.
There are not many other public places I can to to find some of the kind of information I've been looking for.

Brian

mousethief

#15 Post by mousethief » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:11 am

Well said, B the B.

Kalman