Taking Time

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

mousethief

Taking Time

#1 Post by mousethief » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:12 am

I tend to allow for a brief lull in between songs - about 5-6 seconds. I do this to allow people to thank their partners and find new ones. However, I have noticed that some DJs hit the next song immediately after the last end.

WWYD?

Kalman

kbuxton

#2 Post by kbuxton » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:26 am

I try to leave a tiny but definite gap.

main_stem

#3 Post by main_stem » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:30 am

Depends. If it's a live recording and has some audience applasuse at the end I'll fade the next song in. Other than that I'll try to live a little space, but nothing too big.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

gatorgal

#4 Post by gatorgal » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:03 pm

If I "switch gears" so to speak, meaning I'm making a major change in tempo or genre, then I leave a gap. Otherwise I fade from song to song.

Or at least try to.

Tina 8)

ScottieK

#5 Post by ScottieK » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:40 pm

I do both. Depends on my mood and the dancers.

coreyj5

#6 Post by coreyj5 » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:57 pm

I leave a tiny gap too. 2-3 seconds usually. If it's too long, it can break the flow sometimes.

yedancer

#7 Post by yedancer » Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:14 pm

I usually let a few seconds go by between songs. Wasn't there already a thread about this?
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

SpuzBal

#8 Post by SpuzBal » Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:25 pm

I've started leaving about 4-5 seconds between songs.
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

mousethief

#9 Post by mousethief » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:47 pm

yedancer wrote:I usually let a few seconds go by between songs. Wasn't there already a thread about this?
Probably. I think we exhausted any originality in month two.

Kalman

Nando

#10 Post by Nando » Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:42 pm

Yeah, I remember this being one of the first threads when the site went up.

I found the link. Putting it in here since it is a bit informative and perhaps some of the original posters may have changed their opinions on the matter.

http://www.swingdjs.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=9

Bob the Builder

#11 Post by Bob the Builder » Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:03 pm

For me, every time is different.
I try to look out at the dance floor before I press play.
If people are still full of energy I will only leave about 1-2 seconds between tracks.
If the venue is very hot and the dancers look tired, I may leave up to 8-10 seconds between the songs.
If I've been lucky enough to get a jam going, and I want to continue it, I'll go from one track right into the next.
So I in other words, I let the dancers decide.

Brian

KevinSchaper

#12 Post by KevinSchaper » Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:13 pm

sometimes I watch people dip, and wait till they're both upright to start the next song.

Roy

#13 Post by Roy » Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:33 pm

If I play a short song that got a good resonse and I want to continue in that vein I shorten the gap between songs to a few seconds, if I am making a more significant cut between styles of tempo I may wait around 5 seconds.

Matthew

#14 Post by Matthew » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:02 am

I tend to keep it short - usually just a heartbeat or two. The main exception is when we're leaving "blues land." As I'm wrapping up a mini-set of blues or other, steamy stuff, I like to leave a longer pause to let people to "emerge from the steam." Then I like to play something that has a gentle intro.

One of my favorite things to do, if I've just played a mini-set of modern, bluesy stuff, is wait a few seconds, and then play Van Morrison's "Brown-Eyed Girl." The intro always seems to get people's attention and bring them willingly out of blues land. Also, it can be fun to bring the lights (back) up just before I play it.

Lawrence

#15 Post by Lawrence » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:25 pm

It's difficult to describe a general rule. As I wrote before, 5-6 seconds is a rather long time for a pause, and I doubt ANYONE has actually paused that much intentionally. I tend to hit the next song immediately unless there is a reason to not do so (change of flow, allow the end of the song to "breathe", etc.). I also try to count out the rhythm of end of the previous song so that the first beat of the next song hits on a "1" from the presious song's rhythm.

The opening intro to most songs is often sufficient to find a new partner. Indeed, some of my favorite songs have awfully campy or "half-timed" rhythms (emphasis on the 1 & 3), such that the melody gives people time to choose a new partner and get into the flow of the next song.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com