Critical mass of DJ’s to a scene

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Bob the Builder

Critical mass of DJ’s to a scene

#1 Post by Bob the Builder » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:05 pm

This is an item that came to me from another current tread. What is the maximum amount of DJ’s can a scene sustain? Is if possible to have too many DJ’s? If you are a roaming DJ and due to lack of demand only get a gig every 2 months why would you bother?
We all are aware of the problems of having too few DJ’s with in a scene, but is there problems with having too many?

Brian

gatorgal

Re: Critical mass of DJ’s to a scene

#2 Post by gatorgal » Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:11 am

Bob the Builder wrote:Is if possible to have too many DJ’s?
I'm sure it's possible, but the easy answer here is that if all the DJs are happy with the amount of time they're getting, and the dancers like having that much variety, then you can never have too many DJs.
Bob the Builder wrote:If you are a roaming DJ and due to lack of demand only get a gig every 2 months why would you bother?
I'm the number 3 DJ in a scene with only 3 DJs. I am constantly whining about lack of playing time. Who knows if I'm accurate or if I'm just being overly sensitive about it. But I stick with it because of the pure joy of DJing.

Last night was a perfect example. At the last minute we had to change our normal Thursday night dance to last night. Either the word really didn't get out, or our already slumping scene didn't really care to come out. Anyway, we only had a total of 20-25 dancers show up. By the time the other DJ for the night showed up, we had decided to go back and forth playing alternating songs and just having fun. By the end of the night most of the people were dancing. I didn't dance that much, but just seeing the few people dance, laugh and joke about what we were doing, made it a fun night.

The "DJ" side of me doesn't care if there are 5 or 500 couples on the dance floor, as long as everyone's having a good time and dancing.

The "dancer" side of me however wants to see the 500. :)

Who knows if the dancers in our scene think the we have too many/too little DJs. I'm worried about the slumping attendance. :(

Tina 8)

sonofvu

#3 Post by sonofvu » Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:01 pm

OK, let's say that a scene has 12 djs. 4 are classic, 4 are neo-swing and 4 are groove. And let's say that there is horrible redundancy in this scenario. Could we say that there are too many djs and that 2 from each camp should just go away?
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

Mr Awesomer

#4 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:38 pm

You know you've got to many DJs when 90% of them can only handle one hour sets.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

gatorgal

#5 Post by gatorgal » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:18 am

sonofvu wrote:OK, let's say that a scene has 12 djs. 4 are classic, 4 are neo-swing and 4 are groove. And let's say that there is horrible redundancy in this scenario. Could we say that there are too many djs and that 2 from each camp should just go away?
It sounds like you're eliminating them Sopranos-style or something. :)

Tina 8)

djstarr

Re: Critical mass of DJ’s to a scene

#6 Post by djstarr » Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:26 am

Bob the Builder wrote: We all are aware of the problems of having too few DJ’s with in a scene, but is there problems with having too many?

Brian
I've seen venues start up here because folks wanted control over the music and the DJ's rather than rely on other venues; that's made the scene here stronger. And made opportunities for more people to DJ.

I'd say that if you were serious about Dj'ing and only getting a gig once every 2 months you'd probably stop. And with the amount of time and money you have to invest to be able to DJ regularly and keep the dancers interested I think you would rarely have too many Dj's.