Pushing people in

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Lawrence

#31 Post by Lawrence » Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:48 pm

Reading the above two posts reminded me that I always have held a penchant for collecting music, no matter what the genre is, and have always blown too much money on CDs/records. Most of my money from my high school job went to the local record stores. (I have literally ten feet of records sitting on my closet shelves). It just became more focused and purposeful when I started getting into swing music.

Before I ever DJ'ed, I had also compiled "mix tapes" of my non-swing music, then minidisc compilations, which grew into the CD-R compilations that I now use almost exclusively for DJing. I recorded them in "real time," meaning I sat there as they recorded instead of just ripping and burning a 80 minute compilation in 5 minutes without paying much attention once it starts. And I walked five miles in the snow each way just to get the records.

I specifically recall paying attention to the "biorhythm" or "flow" of the mix even then, not just assembling a bunch of favorite songs back to back in any random order. One of the greatest parts of getting a minidisc player, in fact, was being able to delete a song in the middle of a mix when it did not fit in hindsight, which would have required re-recording the entire tape (in real time) if it were a casette. (Now I just throw the CD-R away and burn a new one!).

So that deviates me even more from the "disgruntled dancer" model. It was somewhat already a knack of mine. I didn't need much "pushing in" from there.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Yakov

#32 Post by Yakov » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:49 pm

i've been collecting jazz & blues for as long as i've had spending money for music, but i never thought i could DJ until Jake Sprouse introduced me to the mysterious ways of making little info cards to stick in the CD binder (and calculating BPM). That's when everything became clear. Also the main DJs have allowed me to sit in many times, and then Jake gave me slots at Pitt Stop. Jered has also helped me a lot by giving me advice and slots.

On the music front, I am enormously grateful to Copacetic Comics, Pauls CDs, Proper Records, JSP & all the low-budget European reissue companies, and especially --> the Pittsburgh public library!