Getting pushed out

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

gatorgal

#31 Post by gatorgal » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:29 am

mousethief wrote:If you're bold enough to post this here, you might as well put it out on Austin Lindy as well. This is just brutal and, as has been pointed out, uncalled for.

Well, I'm sorry that Austin has been "dumbed down," but seeing as how you're an organizer, doesn't that say something about your input? Or maybe the best bet to revitalize the scene is eliminating some headcount?

Heh.

Kalman
So when I move to Austin, can I get a few sets or what? :)

Okay, that was my sad attempt to lighten the conversation up.

But I do agree with Kalman... Lawrence, if you have anything to say to the other Austin DJs, you should probably do so in someplace other than this forum. Not sure if you want to air the dirty laundry here, so to speak.

Just my two cents.
Tina 8)

mousethief

#32 Post by mousethief » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:01 am

While I would like to get some $$$, I hold that the fact that many DJs built their collections out of their own interests and not because of paycheck has greatly contributed to the scene. I don't have Rayned collection, but I have some good pieces he recommend. Likewise, I don't have Reuben's, but I got some great music from his posts.

With very few exceptions, if we were getting regular fees for DJing, we would have a very limited body of music and no need for this discussion board. I cannot imagine something more "dumbed down" than the lowest common denominator of (neo) swing music.

Kalman

wheresmygravy

#33 Post by wheresmygravy » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:10 am

You mean people get PAID to do this! :shock:

gatorgal

#34 Post by gatorgal » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:17 am

wheresmygravy wrote:You mean people get PAID to do this! :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tina 8)

mousethief

#35 Post by mousethief » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:18 am

I hear that's how Matt Jones keeps the house and car. Well, Austin is America's Music Capital (?), so there must be scads of cash in lindy hop.

Kalman

yedancer

#36 Post by yedancer » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:00 am

mousethief wrote:While I would like to get some $$$, I hold that the fact that many DJs built their collections out of their own interests and not because of paycheck has greatly contributed to the scene.
Yes. I think a love of the music (whatever style it is that the DJ prefers) and not money has been a good thing for the scene.
mousethief wrote:With very few exceptions, if we were getting regular fees for DJing, we would have a very limited body of music and no need for this discussion board.
Maybe I'm missing the point here, but I would have to disagree. The money I've been payed DJing has helped me to stick around as a DJ, mostly because I put all the money I make back into new CDs or equipment (either that or food).

I would think that the more money a DJ made, the faster their collection would grow.

But maybe I'm just one of the exceptions.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

gatorgal

#37 Post by gatorgal » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:35 am

Nope, you're not one of the exceptions. Heaven forbid if I ever got paid for DJing I'd 1) put gas in my car and 2) buy more CDs.

Tina 8)

mousethief

#38 Post by mousethief » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:45 am

yedancer wrote: Maybe I'm missing the point here, but I would have to disagree. The money I've been payed DJing has helped me to stick around as a DJ, mostly because I put all the money I make back into new CDs or equipment (either that or food).
Perhaps I could have explained that better. I was thinking more along the lines of when someone with a vested interest in your sets (like your employer) starts looking at the bottom line and pressuring you on keeping your sets consistent with the business in mind. Several local clubs had this impact on DJs - mostly kids without excess cash - and they pretty much had to use their DJ take (which ain't much) to buy neo swing CDs because that's what the owner wanted. If we had kept on the same track, with clubs demanding more neo, more standards, we would have been hard pressed to run off and dig up some Mills Brothers or Maxine Sullivan.

In short, the guy who signs the checks deciding the sets, not the DJ.

Kalman

gatorgal

#39 Post by gatorgal » Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:00 pm

Luckily, I've never been in that situation.

Tina 8)

mousethief

#40 Post by mousethief » Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:13 pm

Not getting paid helps, I think. :P

Kalman

Nate Dogg

#41 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:13 pm

mousethief wrote:
yedancer wrote: Maybe I'm missing the point here, but I would have to disagree. The money I've been payed DJing has helped me to stick around as a DJ, mostly because I put all the money I make back into new CDs or equipment (either that or food).
Perhaps I could have explained that better. I was thinking more along the lines of when someone with a vested interest in your sets (like your employer) starts looking at the bottom line and pressuring you on keeping your sets consistent with the business in mind. Several local clubs had this impact on DJs - mostly kids without excess cash - and they pretty much had to use their DJ take (which ain't much) to buy neo swing CDs because that's what the owner wanted. If we had kept on the same track, with clubs demanding more neo, more standards, we would have been hard pressed to run off and dig up some Mills Brothers or Maxine Sullivan.

In short, the guy who signs the checks deciding the sets, not the DJ.

Kalman
That makes more sense to me than your earlier post.

I don't think it really applies to the Austin situation. The DJ is supposed to keep the floor moving, we have a whole lot of leeway in how to do that.

When a so-called "problem" set occurs, it is not that the DJ played bad music or music from an unacceptable genre. More often, the ratio of non-dancers is too high for too many songs in a row. It is a sign that the DJ is not adjusting to the crowd.

Of course, it is nice to have variety and play to all the factions in the room, even if that means giving the minority a token song or two. But, that is a DJ preference. Locally, nobody complains about DJs being too conservative, or at least they don't complain loudly.

People get very upset when the DJ stands up there playing their favorite music, appearing to not show much interest or regard for the masses of dancers on the floor.

A good DJ to me, finds a way to blend their personal preferences with the greater interest of the overall crowd to create a good environment. Luckily, that is how most of the DJs in Austin DJ. It is not about them, it is about the crowd. Matt Jones has a saying that he repeats often, "If I want to play whatever I feel like playing, I can play records at home and DJ for myself" <paraphrased> Perhaps having him around for so long kept us from every developing really bad DJ issues.

But, there are other DJs who disagree with this view. They play whatever they want and let the chips fall where they may. This view may work in some scenes and venues. But, I can't see it working in Austin. Unless of course, the DJs personal tastes are in perfect alignment with the average dancer all the time.

Oh well, what was the thread about again?

mousethief

#42 Post by mousethief » Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:26 pm

Well, Nate Doggy Dogg, I ain't one of them. I thought the whole point was to keep the people happy by playing good music and yourself sane by avoiding the bad music.

Judging by the success of the day-to-day and (un) official exchanges down Austin way, I would think the scene has done pretty well on both counts.

But maybe they've been "dumbed down" too much to tell the difference. Christ, that just kills me. I can't believe he said that.

[edited to add barb]

Kalman

julius

#43 Post by julius » Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:40 pm

As far as I know, LA DJs are never paid. It never really occurred to me that a DJ could be paid, although I have heard of such a thing.

What is a typical DJ rate in your area, if you get paid?

Nate Dogg

#44 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:46 pm

julius wrote:As far as I know, LA DJs are never paid. It never really occurred to me that a DJ could be paid, although I have heard of such a thing.

What is a typical DJ rate in your area, if you get paid?
There was a thread on this subject of getting paid.

http://www.swingdjs.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=119

yedancer

#45 Post by yedancer » Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:51 pm

mousethief wrote:In short, the guy who signs the checks deciding the sets, not the DJ.
Ah, I understand now. Yes, that situation would blow. Thankfully, that doesn't happen here in San Diego. Of course, what does suck is that we have only a handful of DJs, all of whom have been around for quite a long time. I'm the newest DJ, and I've been doing it for like 2 or 3 years now.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.