You accidentally play the wrong track...

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Petitetonya

You accidentally play the wrong track...

#1 Post by Petitetonya » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:44 am

and it fills the dance floor!!! I have had this happen so many times over the years. I have had a track cued up and maybe it was the wrong number or the cd player brought it back to track one for some reason, whatever, but when I frantically realize that the track I intended to play isn't playing, I usually look up and notice that the dance floor is full of dancers enjoying the tune. This always baffles me...but it is awesome. Probably because it is a track that the dancers never get to hear. Anyway, I was going to see if any other dj's have noticed this. It is a good reason to not have any crap songs in your collection.

yedancer

#2 Post by yedancer » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:53 am

Yes, I have had that happen to me many times, although I can't think of any specific examples off the top of my head.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

mousethief

#3 Post by mousethief » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:07 pm

"Who's Yehoodi?"

I once had to run to the door for something after playing "Don't Falter" and Don West thought track 17 was the next song cued up.

Lots of dancers, will never play it again.

Kalman

gatorgal

#4 Post by gatorgal » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:19 pm

yedancer wrote:Yes, I have had that happen to me many times, although I can't think of any specific examples off the top of my head.
Same here. I can't think of any examples, but it definitely has happened to me.

It always cracks me up when it happens. :)

Tina 8)

Nate Dogg

#5 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:22 pm

It has happened to me a few times. Usually if I preview, I avoid it happening. I also DJs from book of compilations that consist of only danceable songs, very little fat.

If the song is danceable anyway, I just go with it, not a big deal.

If the song is totally lame, I recomend you pull the plug.

I remember Matt Jones accidentally played some slow Duke Ellington dirge off the Blanton Webster set, right track number, wrong CD. He made a joke about it and played another song. I have sort of used that incident as a model of what to do when you screw up. Admit it and laugh it off.

Nathan

Petitetonya

#6 Post by Petitetonya » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:32 pm

oh yeah, but the worst was back in the day when the swing kids album was one of our best dj cd's and you accidentally played "Arvil's Beaten".

i actually think that happened to me once...

sonofvu

#7 Post by sonofvu » Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:10 pm

I once played Blue Blazes by accident. I really did not want to that fast so I stopped it. When I did the dancers shouted "what are you doing? Put that back on!" So I did. They went crazy.

And then there was the time I accidentally played a slow blues song from the 30's. Not only was it too slow, it was scratchy to boot. About 15 seconds into it I took it off because only the crickets were having a good time.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

julius

#8 Post by julius » Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:19 pm

I would only stop a song midway if I could have the "needle ripping across vinyl grooves" sound effect played at the same time: vrrrrrrrRRRppp!

Moonmist

#9 Post by Moonmist » Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:53 pm

Well, if it worked out that's good. I accidently played the wrong song that's really fast at 4am at an exchange. And people stared at me like I'm crazy, I just said that since peopel think Houston dance fast, just giving you a taste.

I got mix reactions. There's people that danced to it, and there's people said that I was a dick for doing it. *shrug*

Travis

#10 Post by Travis » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:37 am

This happened to me last night. I wanted to play "You Can't Escape From Me" by Erskine Hawkins and scrolled one track too far and ended up playing "Rehearsal In Love" which is a very slow ballad. Plenty of people danced to it so I guess it went off ok. I always get a kick out of my own confusion when something like that happens. I stare at the equipment for about 2 seconds with a "What the f---" look on my face.

julius

#11 Post by julius » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:23 pm

As I said in my ego thread I played basie's Let Me See instead of Golden Bullet. The funny thing was I didn't even notice until about 30 seconds left in the song, when I suddenly realized people were really struggling to dance. I thought to myself "this song is only 225" and then really LISTENED to it and said 'uh, oops."

World's. worst. dj.

Platypus

#12 Post by Platypus » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:27 pm

Then there was the night when I was a newbie and played the wrong song three times. I thought I had the right CD of a two-CD set. Picked up the wrong CD, but everyone danced and I have since had requests for that particular song. And I very carefully replaced that CD and picked up what I thought was the other CD. Nope. Same CD. Third time, I put another CD into the player, same track number, and somehow missed the fact that I had just put one CD on top of another. So, yet again......

Previewing. It is your friend.

wheresmygravy

#13 Post by wheresmygravy » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:55 pm

One of our "Novice" DJ's was going to DJ his very first set, a couple of months ago. His "BOOK" was basically a set of ~12 burned CD's with a nice selection of songs. The Track list he printed out was not in the same order as the burns. He found this out as I was trying to find a song to teach to and inquired about the problem 30 minutes before the dance.

OOPS! Always make sure your track list matches your CDR!

Yakov

#14 Post by Yakov » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:36 pm

The library here has Legacy's two-disc set of Bessie Smith, I think it's volume 2, there are two CDs with two different labels but they're both in fact CD 1 with the exact same music

"OOPS"

djstarr

#15 Post by djstarr » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:13 pm

A couple of weeks ago I was going to play Honeysuckle Rose off the Django Reinhardt and his American friends compilation; I had discs 1 and 4 in the wrong jackets; so track 23 on disc 4 is Belleville - starts out with a radio announcement - I'm like "wtf, I don't remember any talking before this song".....

Luckily Belleville is one of the organizer's favorite songs - his girlfriend gives me an amazed look as they head to the dance floor and says "that's a good song!" - shocked that I actually was spinning it ;-)