You accidentally play the wrong track...

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

lindyholic

#16 Post by lindyholic » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:15 pm

That was at OOJ a couple of weeks ago wasn't it? I was sooo happy to hear that because that is an awesome song.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

djstarr

#17 Post by djstarr » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:20 pm

yep - it also made me go back and fix a problem with my playlists; I use Excel and had the page setup on the sheets configured so that some tracks didn't get listed - anything over track 21. So I just uncovered about 20 new songs in my collection ;-)

Lawrence

#18 Post by Lawrence » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:24 pm

wheresmygravy wrote:One of our "Novice" DJ's was going to DJ his very first set, a couple of months ago. His "BOOK" was basically a set of ~12 burned CD's with a nice selection of songs. The Track list he printed out was not in the same order as the burns. He found this out as I was trying to find a song to teach to and inquired about the problem 30 minutes before the dance.

OOPS! Always make sure your track list matches your CDR!
Then there's the problem of completely mislabeling the CD-R index, altogether, so that you think you're playing one song when you aren't. For some time, I labored under the somewhat embarrassing misconception that "Bootie's Blues" from Basie's album "On the Road" was a riff-version of "Splanky" (where they omitted the main melody) until Shorty Dave pointed out the mistake. Apparently, I had mis-read the "On the Road" label: "Splanky" is the 6th song and "Bootie's Blues" is the 5th song!! My CD-R compilation only included "Booties Blues," which I had mistakenly listed as "Splanky." :oops:

It fits the thread because "Bootie's Blues" is a great song, nonetheless. 8)
Last edited by Lawrence on Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

julius

#19 Post by julius » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:26 pm

djstarr wrote:so track 23 on disc 4 is Belleville
I wonder if that's where the director/writer of "Triplets of Belleville" got the name from.

kitkat

#20 Post by kitkat » Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:54 pm

Belleville is an immigrant / artist neighborhood in Paris...fun to take walks in and get cheap pastries.

I have no idea if there was actually any 40's entertainment going on in that area, or if the creator decided to take its relatively new artistic appeal and set a fanciful 40's-themed movie's protagonist as living there...

djstarr

#21 Post by djstarr » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:52 am

kitkat wrote:Belleville is an immigrant / artist neighborhood in Paris...fun to take walks in and get cheap pastries.
cool. We were talking about the name and trying to decide if it was a real town or not; I think my friends who like the song will get a kick out of that.

Utah_Nate

#22 Post by Utah_Nate » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:24 pm

I was DJing my buddy's wedding and they asked for "My Romance" by Kevin Mohagany, not really swingin', but good for a first dance by the bride and the groom. I had it all cued up, when some kid unplugged the cord by accident (without me knowing). When he plugged it back in it went to track one which was "Teach Me Tonight." I was mortified! Their parents were looking at me like I was playing joke on them, but in reality I had no clue what was going on! And to top it all off, we were in a church reception hall! lol

Lawrence

#23 Post by Lawrence » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:25 pm

Utah_Nate wrote:I was DJing my buddy's wedding and they asked for "My Romance" by Kevin Mohagany, not really swingin', but good for a first dance by the bride and the groom. I had it all cued up, when some kid unplugged the cord by accident (without me knowing). When he plugged it back in it went to track one which was "Teach Me Tonight." I was mortified! Their parents were looking at me like I was playing joke on them, but in reality I had no clue what was going on! And to top it all off, we were in a church reception hall! lol
:lol: In Utah, no less! :lol:
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Matthew

#24 Post by Matthew » Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:10 pm

Well, this one didn't fill the floor. As well as organizing, hosting, and running a dance last night, I was also responsible for DJing between band breaks. I was so amazingly busy, I forgot to change the CD. So, instead of hearing Buddy Holly (most of the dancers only knew ECS), we heard Chris Isaak.

sonofvu

#25 Post by sonofvu » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:47 pm

In my earlier dj days anything from the 30's and 40's was the wrong track... But I kid, I kid. I accidentally played Ellington's "Across The Track Blues" in Houston. I had some mid tempo Cootie Williams song all cued up on my dj1800 software and at the same time iTunes was playing the current selection. My itunes is set up to play the next song in the list instead of playing a song and stopping. So it played the Ellington tune which was next on the list. Thing is, I really like that song now. I had not paid much attention to it but now I just added a nice bluesy tune to my repertoir.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.