DJing Non-Swing Venues as a Paying Gig

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

funkyfreak

#16 Post by funkyfreak » Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:14 pm

There's a few stories like this out there http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,59270,00.html

-FF

morte100

#17 Post by morte100 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:41 am

I haven't read the forum in awhile, so that's why I'm so late in responding to this topic. But, hopefully my reply will still be relevant.

I had been to a Martini Bar (swanky place) in Seattle to watch my friend's jazz band on Sundays. They have a really great DJ who mixes Jazz records (from Big Band through Bop, fusion, straight-ahead, etc.) with hip hop and other modern beats. I've always liked hip hop and electronica, so I was really inspired by this guy.

First thing I did: buy turntables. Second thing: buy lots and lots of records. Now I've DJed that place a few times, and I'm having a great time.

It's definitely appropriate to put this thread under skillz as you will most likely need to develop some new ones if you're going to convince a bar manager that you are better than a cd changer on random. I'm having a lot of fun learning to mix music continuously, and it's great to be able to play music I love even if it's not "danceable". So far my sets have included artists from classic to modern jazz, downtempo, and anything else I like.

So that's my suggestion: learn to mix (CD's or Vinyl) and approach places where having a DJ would enhance their image. To give you an idea, this is the Martini Bar I was referring to.

I'd love to chat further about this, and hear about your experiences. Drop me a PM when you can. _d

morte100

#18 Post by morte100 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:42 am

oh yeah, make a demo CD as well. a lot of places expect it, and it may help get the idea across to people that are hesitant about hiring you. _d

KevinSchaper

#19 Post by KevinSchaper » Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:25 pm

Dave, I think you have the best "djing at nocturnal" picture yet!

it's all about being the evil red dj

main_stem

#20 Post by main_stem » Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:34 pm

morte100 wrote:
I had been to a Martini Bar (swanky place) in Seattle to watch my friend's jazz band on Sundays. They have a really great DJ who mixes Jazz records (from Big Band through Bop, fusion, straight-ahead, etc.) with hip hop and other modern beats. I've always liked hip hop and electronica, so I was really inspired by this guy.
Funny my friend Bob, one half of Jacob London, was just telling me how ther is a big movement in house music to incopproate jazz and swing jazz. They call it house swing.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Petitetonya

#21 Post by Petitetonya » Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:39 pm

David...you should try to hook up with my Seanie Mo sometime...he was a full time house/hip hop dj in Philly for years and became pretty well known back in the day as a dj. Back when raves were called "wherehouse parties" still. He is pretty darn talented with that stuff and even produces some of his own music. In fact, he has done some house music that incorporates jazz with some of his songs he has produced. There is one song in particular that is so awesome where he used a tribe called quest sample in it...it is one of my favorite songs of his, maybe he will make you a copy of it. I also have some of his live shows he did in Philly on cd too if that inspires you.

morte100

#22 Post by morte100 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:43 pm

main_stem wrote:Funny my friend Bob, one half of Jacob London, was just telling me how there is a big movement in house music to incopproate jazz and swing jazz. They call it house swing.
Maybe it's because it's what I'm into and so my awareness of it is heightened, but it seems to me that trend is more pervasive than just house music. I seem to hear jazz (that is sampled cuts of jazz records) mixed into everything from pop and easy listening to hip hop.

I went and saw Aesop Rock this week at the showbox (formerly underground hip hop), and the DJ, fakts one, was doing some things with jazz that I couldn't believe.

If you haven't heard of the Gotan Project, look into it. They have some pretty great stuff.

nocturne

#23 Post by nocturne » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:04 pm

that's really nothing new though, there are sooooo many DJ/producers who incopproate jazz into house. its been going on for years. st. germain was one of the firsts to really start the true jazz house movment.
now the list just does not end.
if you ask me, Jazzanova Compost Records is the leader of that whole "movment"

and dude, if you like Gotan, check out Madrid de los Austrais, Boozoo Bajou, or even Suba if you are into brazilian beats.
Vote Funkstörung. Grammy Winners.

Petitetonya

#24 Post by Petitetonya » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:38 pm

nocturne wrote:
and dude, if you like Gotan, check out Madrid de los Austrais, Boozoo Bajou, or even Suba if you are into brazilian beats.
If David's obsession with Brazilian soccer is anything like his tastes in music, then I am guessing he would be all over that.

mousethief

#25 Post by mousethief » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:53 pm

Haven't done it yet. Too busy re-re-reading the Rings trilogy and playing Rising Sun.

Kalman

main_stem

#26 Post by main_stem » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:58 pm

morte100 wrote: Maybe it's because it's what I'm into and so my awareness of it is heightened, but it seems to me that trend is more pervasive than just house music. I seem to hear jazz (that is sampled cuts of jazz records) mixed into everything from pop and easy listening to hip hop.

I went and saw Aesop Rock this week at the showbox (formerly underground hip hop), and the DJ, fakts one, was doing some things with jazz that I couldn't believe.

If you haven't heard of the Gotan Project, look into it. They have some pretty great stuff.
Yeah it's pretty pervasive. Guru was using jazz in the early 90's. And Jazz licks have been sampled for a long time. Cut Chemist and Numark did a whole song using jazz a couple years back too.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

morte100

#27 Post by morte100 » Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:19 pm

http://www.ninjatune.net/videos/video.php?type=qt&id=56

Basin Street Blues - Kid Koala

I came across this when i was looking for some music online. It's pretty mind bending - for me at least. I don't know exactly how it has gone down, but it KK is playing a turntable as a musical instrument to create a standard that we're all familiar with. sic
_d

Nate Dogg

#28 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:58 pm

morte100 wrote:http://www.ninjatune.net/videos/video.php?type=qt&id=56

Basin Street Blues - Kid Koala

I came across this when i was looking for some music online. It's pretty mind bending - for me at least. I don't know exactly how it has gone down, but it KK is playing a turntable as a musical instrument to create a standard that we're all familiar with. sic
_d
Gotta check that out, every blue moon I play Kid Koala's Drunk Trumpet.

nocturne

#29 Post by nocturne » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:29 pm

glad to see you kids are into ninja tune. everything they offer is awesome
\m/
Vote Funkstörung. Grammy Winners.

Yakov

#30 Post by Yakov » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:35 pm

WOW that Basin Street video blew me away