How is your city's swing scene compared to two years ago?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

How is your city's swing scene compared to two years ago?

A lot larger
11%
A little larger
23%
About the same
14%
A little smaller
20%
A lot smaller
20%
Not sure/no opinion/wasn't around 2 years ago
11%

Total votes: 35

gatorgal

#31 Post by gatorgal » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:33 pm

It's funny that this thread was bumped up again... we just had our exchange this past weekend. Before the exchange we had been in a big slump... after the exchanged, nothing has changed.

I wonder why the owner of our current venue puts up with us when she doesn't break even at the door and doesn't make enough money to pay her bartender.

And people wonder why I want to move to Austin. :)

Tina 8)

mousethief

#32 Post by mousethief » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:37 am

Dallas has been kicking ass lately. We really went back to marketing to our core dancers and blanketing the metroplex as much as possible to get new ones. We've been running at capacity at our main venue the past few events.

Kalman

Lawrence

#33 Post by Lawrence » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:20 pm

Zot wrote:Here in Melbourne the scene is definitely a lot bigger than it was 2 years ago. We're now at the point where we're probably in the top 3 cities in the world in terms of the number of dancers and regular social events.
You might be surprised to find out how heathy some scenes are here in the U.S. I don't know what your attendance is, but I would be surprised if Melbounre was really in the top three in the world. Austin, alone, probably has a few thousand casual dancers, a few hundred "regulars" (going dancing at least twice a month), and a core of at least fifty die-hards... and Austin is not that big a city.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Serg

#34 Post by Serg » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:46 pm

Being dancing in South Florida for almost 6 years I've been through many changes in attendance. All the time we stop promoting attendance goes down. We have big plans to increase attendance at our dances and I think 2004 will be our finest hour.

I love dancing and DJing, but I would not leave my town and circle of friends just because we don't have a kick ass scene like Austin. Lindy Hop is a part of my live, but it does not dictate my life. To be honest I think it is so much more rewarding for someone to stay on their scene and work hard to make it a better scene than just bailing out and go to a better scene. Austin and Melbourne sucked at one time, but someone worked hard to make those cities what they are now.

But once again, this is just my option. What do I know!

Serg

julius

#35 Post by julius » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:01 pm

Lawrence wrote:I don't know what your attendance is, but I would be surprised if Melbounre was really in the top three in the world.
And you, in turn, might be surprised at Melbourne. I have never been there but footage and first hand accounts indicate he's not far off. I think we ought to put our swords away, no?

Serg

#36 Post by Serg » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:07 pm

Never been to Melbourne myself (would love to!). However, I remember chatting with Bill Borgida and he telling me that this is perhaps the largest scene he has ever been to.

My buddy Izzy from South Florida also met the two big promoters there at the SONH camp this year and was impressed by their promoting skills. Those guys really know how to run a scene. We picked up a few good tips from them.

Serg

Lawrence

#37 Post by Lawrence » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:23 pm

julius wrote:
Lawrence wrote:I don't know what your attendance is, but I would be surprised if Melbounre was really in the top three in the world.
And you, in turn, might be surprised at Melbourne. I have never been there but footage and first hand accounts indicate he's not far off. I think we ought to put our swords away, no?
Yes, I am surprised... but in a good way. (No swords unsheathed here.) I meant the bolded part as an honest admission that I really didn't know, not as a sarcastic jab. If Melbourne is in the top three, then so much the better for them!
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

Nate Dogg

#38 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:15 pm

So, if Melbourne is in the top three, what are the others in the top five, scene size wise.

Honestly, I have no clue. I did not realize Melbourne was that big of a scene till Matt's post.

Zot

#39 Post by Zot » Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:07 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Zot wrote:Here in Melbourne the scene is definitely a lot bigger than it was 2 years ago. We're now at the point where we're probably in the top 3 cities in the world in terms of the number of dancers and regular social events.
You might be surprised to find out how heathy some scenes are here in the U.S. I don't know what your attendance is, but I would be surprised if Melbourne was really in the top three in the world. Austin, alone, probably has a few thousand casual dancers, a few hundred "regulars" (going dancing at least twice a month), and a core of at least fifty die-hards... and Austin is not that big a city.
You're quite right, Lawrence, I might be surprised! I guess we can all be surprised by things at times... that's why I posted about being interested in some kind of swing map. I don't pretend to know just how big the scenes are in every city -- sorry if it sounded like I did.

I can only judge as best I can. I've been to the US about 14 times in my life, and danced in quite a few cities -- but not Austin (even though I've been there!). I guess my impression with respect to Austin was informed by speaking to Bill Borgida, who's been to both scenes for residencies. Bill judges Melbourne as the largest right now, with San Fran as the second largest. I don't know if that's true (even though I've been to SF to dance several times).

I've just come back from a trip to Europe where I danced in a few more cities and I've also danced in Singapore and of course at Herrang!

Anyway, based on the numbers of students at our school and others I know of, plus those who are dancing but who don't take classes, there would be (conservatively) around 2000 people who dance Lindy Hop at least once a month somewhere here. Probably more...

djstarr

#40 Post by djstarr » Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:05 pm

Zot wrote: Anyway, based on the numbers of students at our school and others I know of, plus those who are dancing but who don't take classes, there would be (conservatively) around 2000 people who dance Lindy Hop at least once a month somewhere here. Probably more...
so what's the population of Melbourne? I was there in '96 and I was suprised by how large it was. I was also very impressed with how athletic and sports-minded everyone was and I can see how swing-dancing would be a great fit for the city.

Also, everyone I've met from Melbourne that has gone to Seattle - that's about 15 people so far in the past year - have been great and awesome to dance with.

You are starting to make me want to go to MLX now!

Bob the Builder

#41 Post by Bob the Builder » Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:10 pm

Population of over 3 Million. Melbourne is also a lot more spread out city than other Cities of Similar population sizes. You can Dance in some venue in Melbourne nearly every night of the week with most of the venues getting about 30 to 50 dancers a night. Some get up to about 80 dancers.
We don't often get every one together but we have had events of up to 500 dancers, and to be honest Melbourne is still a young and growing scene.
Melbourne also has a fantastic live music scene, and it’s not uncommon for dancers to dance to 2 to 3 Big bands a week.
You should come down a check it out. We have Swing City down here in November. Make it in your Diary.
You will also be surprised at our DJed music range and DJ level and dance skills level. Talk to Manu. He'll tell you.

Brian

Lawrence

#42 Post by Lawrence » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:36 pm

Zot wrote:Anyway, based on the numbers of students at our school and others I know of, plus those who are dancing but who don't take classes, there would be (conservatively) around 2000 people who dance Lindy Hop at least once a month somewhere here. Probably more...
Wow. I had no idea. That's great!!
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

Swingwombat

#43 Post by Swingwombat » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:53 pm

djstarr wrote: Also, everyone I've met from Melbourne that has gone to Seattle - that's about 15 people so far in the past year - have been great and awesome to dance with.

You are starting to make me want to go to MLX now!
You should!! You All should! Come and see how great the scene is for yourselves. :lol:

:D Di