Sharing Time

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

gatorgal

Sharing Time

#1 Post by gatorgal » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:40 am

Not sure if this is a topic that's been explored, since I couldn't find anything like it on a search. So here goes.

Currently I spin once a week for about 30 minutes to an hour until our regular DJ arrives and is ready to play. There are songs that I don't play at all, that dancers might like to hear, for fear of taking away songs he may want to play in his set. There are now times when I'm reluctant to play new songs or songs similar to the genres he likes for fear of "encroaching" on his territory. Granted, these aren't things that he's said to me, just my own thoughts. So as you can see, I'm starting to second guess myself here.

What I'm asking is this... is there some sort of etiquette or standard operating procedure when you share a night/time with another DJ? Do you try not to play something from his/her "lineup" or do you do whatever the hell you want?

Now that I'm writing this it seems like a very basic question. However, since I haven't received my "How to Be a DJ" handbook yet, I'm posting.

Your answers are appreciated.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Soupbone

#2 Post by Soupbone » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:58 am

I play whatever the hell I want (based, of course, on my own tastes and how they intersect with the crowd) when sharing nights. Perhaps your situation is a little different. But, in most cases, I think it is the responsibility of the other DJ(s) to pay attention to what's already been played and go from there.

Edited to say... of course I'll typically work *with* the other DJ if something prevents them from being there for my set or whatever....
Last edited by Soupbone on Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

Roy

#3 Post by Roy » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:59 am

I don't think there is a standard ettiqutte but certain DJ's put the same songs into their rotations allot. If I know that DJ I will not play any of thsoe songs he normally plays. If there is a chance of cross over song, when we change off and he was not there for part of my set I will tell him any songs that he might play.

Sometimes if there are many DJ's in a night with similar styles we will keep a playlist. This allows later DJ's the ability to check against what earlier DJ's played to aviod repeat.

JesseMiner

#4 Post by JesseMiner » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:28 am

The most basic rule to follow is that the evening should be an enjoyable and conhesive one for the dancers. The DJs should work together to make things flow. When splitting time with someone else, I always respect the other DJ, trying to have a good understanding of their style and making sure to integrate with or play off of that with my selections. The more you know about the DJ you're sharing time with, the better. You know what songs they love to play and are likely to play, and it's easier for you to work around those songs. I try to study my fellow DJs and be respectful of their "signature" songs and whatnot. I expect other DJs to do the same.

Of course it does depends on what the power structure is. If you feel like you're the opener for the other DJ, then maybe you do want to try and not step on the other DJ's toes, avoiding songs that you know will be played later on. I know that's definitely how I feel when I'm DJing band breaks. I purposefully don't play material that will likely be played during their sets, both out of respect for the band and for the crowd. But if you're both just sharing the night, then you should be able to work it out where you both feel like you can play new material and not feel too restricted about your selections, with an understanding that if you play something the other DJ might play, then they should be able to roll with it and just play something else. If you're unsure about this relationship, talk with the other DJ about it.

Also keep in mind that there are other things to think about when you are playing at the starting of the evening (I know this is another topic, but it might pertain to what you are asking here). There is often more of a beginner/intermediate crowd at the start, possibly just coming out of a lesson. This should definitely affects what you play if you're the first DJ, regardless of who is coming on after you.

Jesse

gatorgal

#5 Post by gatorgal » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:39 pm

Roy wrote:Sometimes if there are many DJ's in a night with similar styles we will keep a playlist. This allows later DJ's the ability to check against what earlier DJ's played to aviod repeat.
We're doing that now... it really helps a lot.

Tina 8)

gatorgal

#6 Post by gatorgal » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:52 pm

JesseMiner wrote:When splitting time with someone else, I always respect the other DJ, trying to have a good understanding of their style and making sure to integrate with or play off of that with my selections. The more you know about the DJ you're sharing time with, the better. You know what songs they love to play and are likely to play, and it's easier for you to work around those songs. I try to study my fellow DJs and be respectful of their "signature" songs and whatnot. I expect other DJs to do the same.
So far this has been pretty easy. I watched him a long time before I actually started this DJ thing.
JesseMiner wrote:Of course it does depends on what the power structure is. If you feel like you're the opener for the other DJ, then maybe you do want to try and not step on the other DJ's toes, avoiding songs that you know will be played later on.
That's exactly the structure here, much to my chagrin. :) Which is kinda affecting the way I do things.
JesseMiner wrote:Also keep in mind that there are other things to think about when you are playing at the starting of the evening (I know this is another topic, but it might pertain to what you are asking here). There is often more of a beginner/intermediate crowd at the start, possibly just coming out of a lesson. This should definitely affects what you play if you're the first DJ, regardless of who is coming on after you.

Jesse
That's entirely different learning curve, and yes, another thread. And another frustration on my part. :)

Thanks Soupbone, Roy and Jesse for all of your comments. They are much appreciated.

Keep 'em coming, everybody!
Tina 8)

CafeSavoy

#7 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:35 pm

gatorgal wrote:
JesseMiner wrote:Of course it does depends on what the power structure is. If you feel like you're the opener for the other DJ, then maybe you do want to try and not step on the other DJ's toes, avoiding songs that you know will be played later on.
That's exactly the structure here, much to my chagrin. :) Which is kinda affecting the way I do things.
Although on the other hand, if they're the more experienced dj what you play shouldn't affect their ability to play. Although it is courtesy not to play their signature songs.

Greg Avakian

#8 Post by Greg Avakian » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:05 pm

With a band, I ask to see their set lists so that I don't play one of "their" songs accidently.

I really like the idea of DJs keeping set lists; it would help if more events did this.

I agree with Jesse that if you know a DJs style, it helps to compliment or contrast them -and of course both directions can be good depending on the crowd.

I also agree with Rayned -that you should be able to spin around another DJ playing songs you like. Although I didn't like when a DJ played every good song from 3 CDs that I suggested he buy during the hour before I went on. He played those same songs the next night too. :(

Anyway, none's mentioned this and this comes up with david and I since we have the good fortune of DJing together alot:

The DJ in question might enjoy dancing to music he often just gets to listen to...

:)

Nate Dogg

#9 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:34 pm

Greg Avakian wrote:With a band, I ask to see their set lists so that I don't play one of "their" songs accidently.

I really like the idea of DJs keeping set lists; it would help if more events did this.

I agree with Jesse that if you know a DJs style, it helps to compliment or contrast them -and of course both directions can be good depending on the crowd.

I also agree with Rayned -that you should be able to spin around another DJ playing songs you like. Although I didn't like when a DJ played every good song from 3 CDs that I suggested he buy during the hour before I went on. He played those same songs the next night too. :(

Anyway, none's mentioned this and this comes up with david and I since we have the good fortune of DJing together alot:

The DJ in question might enjoy dancing to music he often just gets to listen to...

:)
Band Break Thoughts:

Often the set lists are tapped to the ground next to the stands. Saves me the trouble of having to ask.

Sometimes that band could care less whether you play one of their songs. I tried to get the drummer for Ingrid Lucia to give me a clue to what was coming up and he just laughed. I just tried to play songs that had a very low percentage of being played by them.

In any case, I agree that it is always a good idea to pay attention to their set, ditto for the DJ before you. Even if you don't have a full set list, you can get a pretty good idea about how to contrast.

When I play band breaks, I always try to make sure that the first song has common lead instrumentation with the band (trumpet songs for the Texas Trumpets, a piano song for Corner Pocket, etc..) After that I try to move away from the band sound. I think people like variety and the band break is a good chance to put a different sound out there. I try to flow back as best I can when the band starts back up, assuming they don't come back without much advance notice.
Last edited by Nate Dogg on Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gatorgal

#10 Post by gatorgal » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:52 pm

I wish I had more of an opportunity to put some of this good advice to use. Unfortunately, we don't have many live bands at our dances. Only for special events.

Tina 8)

main_stem

#11 Post by main_stem » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:43 pm

PLay what you want and what will get the crowd going. IF that mean playing a certain song that the other DJ likes to play so be it. It'll make him work harder to find a comperable song. Plus if they are the type of DJ you can set your watch to, it might be a good change of pace for them and the crowd.

Keep a set list to let the other DJ know what you've already covered.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Lawrence

#12 Post by Lawrence » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:16 pm

main_stem wrote:PLay what you want and what will get the crowd going. IF that mean playing a certain song that the other DJ likes to play so be it. It'll make him work harder to find a comperable song. Plus if they are the type of DJ you can set your watch to, it might be a good change of pace for them and the crowd.

Keep a set list to let the other DJ know what you've already covered.
I actually agree completely. :!: If a DJ is submarined by your playing his/her "best" or "favorite" song, then perhaps s/he should not be DJing, in the first place. There is too much great music out there to worry about it.

Also, although I appreciate the wisdom and friendliness of Jesse's suggestion to play a cohesive night with the partner DJ, sometimes changing it up completely is EXACTLY what the crowd wanted (and even expected/hoped for) when you came up to bat.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

mousethief

#13 Post by mousethief » Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:20 pm

I'm all in favor of talking to people as opposed to posting it in a thread. Talk to the other DJ(s) and share what you've got. Get them excited about what you want to play. Learn what they want to play. Ask them if this or that would be okeh.

Nothing really gets things solved like a discussion - a real, face-to-face conversation.

Kalman

gatorgal

#14 Post by gatorgal » Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:31 pm

Thanks all. Very good advice given and taken to heart.

Tina 8)