good pee break songs

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Drew

#16 Post by Drew » Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:08 am

Count Basie "In a Mellow Tone" off either Golden '58 (5:40) or Breakfast Dance & Barbecue (6-something)

"One O'Clock Jump" Basie at Newport (9:37)

Nina Simone "To Be Young, Gifted, and Black" (8:11)

George Gee "Shiny Stockings" (6-something)

Yoko Noge "Cherry" (7:14)

Roy

#17 Post by Roy » Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:03 am

What I normally do is bring a stop watch and walk the distance to the bathroom and back. I note the time on a note pad. I add 10 seonds just in case someone stops me. I add 1 minute for a number 1 and 2 minutes for a number 2. If I know there could be a long line I add a few minutes. I then add up the time and select a song of that length.

Yeah righ, just kidding. I normally select a song around 6 minutes that I know the crowd would want to dance too and I have the next song queued and ready to go just in case I have to make a mad dash to get back All I would have to do is hit play. I have never had a problem getting back on time.

yedancer

#18 Post by yedancer » Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:47 am

"Uptown Sop" by Gene Harris is like 9 minutes. I probably would want to dance to it though.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

SpuzBal

#19 Post by SpuzBal » Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:46 pm

djstarr wrote:
falty411 wrote:what if you have to #2?
Put in Anthology of Big Band Swing, sit on the pot, and wait for "Fish Market" to play.
HA!!
"In my opinion, out of the ten great guitarists in the world, Django is five of them!" - Rex Stewart

gatorgal

#20 Post by gatorgal » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:24 am

This whole thread is too hilarious....

Thank God I've never had to do the "bathroom shuffle" during a set, but I would probably put in a mix CD and take my time.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Serg

#21 Post by Serg » Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:54 pm

I usually play Hip Soul by Shirley Scott which is over 6 minutes long. I also disable the single play feature on the CD player and let two good 4 minutes songs play back to back from a compilation CD. I might need to do this more than once since I like to support the bar ;)

Serg

Lawrence

#22 Post by Lawrence » Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:15 pm

gatorgal wrote:This whole thread is too hilarious....
The most ironic part is that I can't remember the last time this topic was an issue for me (the whole, "You should have taken care of that before we left" thinking.") Then, last Thursday night, I apparently hadn't taken care of it before I left, and nature called during the middle of my set. :shock:

The CD player has a "Robo start" feature that plays the song in the other CD player at the end of the song on the first CD player. Thus, song selection did not matter.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Bob the Builder

#23 Post by Bob the Builder » Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:22 pm

falty411 wrote:what if you have to #2?
Diga Diga"doo doo",

Bob Crosby. :lol:

6 minutes long.
A quick in and out.

Bob

Ron

#24 Post by Ron » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:33 pm

At Lindy by the Bay in San Diego, its all about compilation CDs. Pop one in at a point where it looks like the next 2-3 songs are OK, and I'm off to the Hotel's bathroom and to buy another Mai Tai.

Petitetonya

#25 Post by Petitetonya » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Segue in C from the Frankie Manning compilation is over 8 minutes...I have used that a couple of times, but I must admit, it allowed to go pee AND get a drink at the bar AND say hi to my friends :lol:

Matthew

#26 Post by Matthew » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:05 pm

"Flying Home" - Lionel Hampton and Oscar Peterson, from Just One of Those Things. Find the restroom or drive to another one if the first is occupied, get back to the dancing, dance the Big Apple, visit the bar, chat with friends, get back to the booth, re-organize your book, go dance another Big Apple, return to the booth, find another song, then sit back and wait for this song's entire 17:07 to elapse.

hypr_chik

Long story...

#27 Post by hypr_chik » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:58 pm

This happened to me last weekend only it was not just a question of a bathroom break. I was feeling quite ill. Luckily the WC wasn't too far away. I tried to stabilize myself and then looked for a long song and hightailed it to the Women's WC. Well, it turns out there were 2. One was out of order and the other was was occupied. I waited a bit then said something when she exclaimed soem sort of profanity. Turns out another girl having her own different set of problems. Talked to her, dashed out eyed her backpack and ran back to the booth. Found another song and noted that the other 2 DJs there were either sleeping in a van or ? Looked for someone who I knew could help and didin't spy one. Waited there till things stabilized and searched for another song... for the life of me I couldn't seem to find one longer than five and ahlf minutes and I had no idea how long I'd need. I chose one I knew very well and went out and ran for her bag all the while trying not to be sick... delivered her backpack with 'supplies' and ran for the Men's WC.
I banged on the door and said if you're a guy and in there watch out... woman coming through! Ran into a stall and was ill... and was ill... a male friend saw me go in and checked on me and left me be. (Apparently he watched the door but I didn't find out till later.) While still in the stall, a man came into the washroom and proceeded to use the urinal... I was so embarassed and stayed in the cubical and colelcted myself, till the friend came back to tell me the guy was gone. All the while I am listening to the song and noting how far through I was.

Untill then I had never really thought of having a bunch of longer back up gotta dash for some reason (pee pee) or otherwise songs. Its on my list of things to do. Make a CD of songs to play if/when all heck breaks loose.

Henry Hui Hui

#28 Post by Henry Hui Hui » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:17 am

"Disappointed" - James Moody 6:24, a bit cruisy, but you know when the vocal kicks in you gotta get outta there